Author Topic: Low Acid Casseroles? - Updated 12  (Read 1303 times)

pendragon1980

Low Acid Casseroles? - Updated 12
« on: January 14, 2012, 09:25:54 AM »
My neighbor is going though some surgery later this month and I would like to make her a couple of casseroles or meals that are easy to reheat.

I asked about her diet restrictions and she told me needs food that low acid, also no tomatoes and onions.

I'm a bit stumped now.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 09:36:41 AM by pendragon1980 »

NyaChan

Re: Low Acid Casseroles?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 12:39:33 PM »
Could you use onion powder instead?  Not the same I know, but the flavor might help round things out.  I'd probably do a white sauce over noodles + protein or make veggies au gratin.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 12:41:56 PM »
What casseroles were you thinking of?  Most of the ones I know don't have tomatoes and onions can be omitted.

If you give us the ones you normally make, suggestions can be made.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 02:22:46 PM »
Can you substitute leeks or scallions for onions, or do they have to avoid all alliums?
NE England

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 03:52:02 PM »
Asparagus casserole: asparagus and spaghetti in white sauce with cheddar cheese.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 04:17:31 PM »
I asked about her diet restrictions and she told me needs food that low acid, also no tomatoes and onions.

I do a white lasagne which is cooked vegetables layered with lasagne sheets and a roux sauce. It's much lower in acid than a tomato sauce. Chicken casserole would also meet the criteria, depending on what you put in it. White sauces, plain mash with gravy etc.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 04:16:51 AM by Bethalize »

EmmaJ.

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 05:46:23 PM »
How about a mac & cheese?  Very comforting, very easy to digest.  If she can tolerate it, you can add a little chopped ham or cooked ground beef for some added protein.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 05:47:48 PM »
Maybe a chicken or turkey with stuffing casserole?
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 12:05:07 AM »

I do a white lasagne which is cooked vegetables layered with lasagne sheets and a roux sauce. It's much lower in pH than a tomato sauce. Chicken casserole would also meet the criteria, depending on what you put in it. White sauces, plain mash with gravy etc.

Do yoy mean lower in acid? Because a lower pH sauce would be more acidic.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 04:16:33 AM »

I do a white lasagne which is cooked vegetables layered with lasagne sheets and a roux sauce. It's much lower in pH than a tomato sauce. Chicken casserole would also meet the criteria, depending on what you put in it. White sauces, plain mash with gravy etc.

Do yoy mean lower in acid? Because a lower pH sauce would be more acidic.

Yes, thanks. I always get pH the wrong way around.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 02:26:11 AM »

Cream sauces and gravy sauces would be good.  I would assume that no onions means no garlic as well, if it's a digestive issue.

Broccoli, chicken, pasta or rice and a cheese sauce go well together, and be a balanced meal.

Iris

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 03:06:05 AM »
I make a nice tuna and macaroni bake that would probably be okay. It does have onion in it but you could probably just omit it. In fact I'd make that a general for any casserole. It may make it a little bland but when you are on a low acid diet that onionless flavour tastes much better than it does usually.

Alternatively, when I was pregnant with DD1 I got dreadful reflux with onions. I found dried onion flakes didn't have the same effect.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

pendragon1980

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 09:36:14 AM »
Well, its been delayed for now. Today is the day of the surgery and both DH and I are home with really bad sore throats and I don't want to expose her to that, esp after surgery.

I did pick up a magazine with casserole recipes in it, I'm thinking of dropping off a get well card and an IOU along with the magazine and letting her pick out a couple of recipes herself.