News:

• February 24, 2018, 02:42:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Low Acid Casseroles? - Updated 12  (Read 3586 times)

pendragon1980

Low Acid Casseroles? - Updated 12
« on: January 14, 2012, 08:25:54 AM »
My neighbor is going though some surgery later this month and I would like to make her a couple of casseroles or meals that are easy to reheat.

I asked about her diet restrictions and she told me needs food that low acid, also no tomatoes and onions.

I'm a bit stumped now.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 08:36:41 AM by pendragon1980 »

NyaChan

Re: Low Acid Casseroles?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 11:39:33 AM »
Could you use onion powder instead?  Not the same I know, but the flavor might help round things out.  I'd probably do a white sauce over noodles + protein or make veggies au gratin.

Zilla

• Cooking
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 11:41:56 AM »
What casseroles were you thinking of?  Most of the ones I know don't have tomatoes and onions can be omitted.

If you give us the ones you normally make, suggestions can be made.

mechtilde

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 01:22:46 PM »
Can you substitute leeks or scallions for onions, or do they have to avoid all alliums?
NE England

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 02:52:02 PM »
Asparagus casserole: asparagus and spaghetti in white sauce with cheddar cheese.
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yickity-do yickity-dah ping-pong lippy-toppy too tah.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 03:17:31 PM »
I asked about her diet restrictions and she told me needs food that low acid, also no tomatoes and onions.

I do a white lasagne which is cooked vegetables layered with lasagne sheets and a roux sauce. It's much lower in acid than a tomato sauce. Chicken casserole would also meet the criteria, depending on what you put in it. White sauces, plain mash with gravy etc.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 03:16:51 AM by Bethalize »

EmmaJ.

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 04:46:23 PM »
How about a mac & cheese?  Very comforting, very easy to digest.  If she can tolerate it, you can add a little chopped ham or cooked ground beef for some added protein.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 04:47:48 PM »
Maybe a chicken or turkey with stuffing casserole?
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Twik

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 11:05:07 PM »

I do a white lasagne which is cooked vegetables layered with lasagne sheets and a roux sauce. It's much lower in pH than a tomato sauce. Chicken casserole would also meet the criteria, depending on what you put in it. White sauces, plain mash with gravy etc.

Do yoy mean lower in acid? Because a lower pH sauce would be more acidic.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 03:16:33 AM »

I do a white lasagne which is cooked vegetables layered with lasagne sheets and a roux sauce. It's much lower in pH than a tomato sauce. Chicken casserole would also meet the criteria, depending on what you put in it. White sauces, plain mash with gravy etc.

Do yoy mean lower in acid? Because a lower pH sauce would be more acidic.

Yes, thanks. I always get pH the wrong way around.

blarg314

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 01:26:11 AM »

Cream sauces and gravy sauces would be good.  I would assume that no onions means no garlic as well, if it's a digestive issue.

Broccoli, chicken, pasta or rice and a cheese sauce go well together, and be a balanced meal.

Iris

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 02:06:05 AM »
I make a nice tuna and macaroni bake that would probably be okay. It does have onion in it but you could probably just omit it. In fact I'd make that a general for any casserole. It may make it a little bland but when you are on a low acid diet that onionless flavour tastes much better than it does usually.

Alternatively, when I was pregnant with DD1 I got dreadful reflux with onions. I found dried onion flakes didn't have the same effect.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

pendragon1980

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 08:36:14 AM »
Well, its been delayed for now. Today is the day of the surgery and both DH and I are home with really bad sore throats and I don't want to expose her to that, esp after surgery.

I did pick up a magazine with casserole recipes in it, I'm thinking of dropping off a get well card and an IOU along with the magazine and letting her pick out a couple of recipes herself.