A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Business names that sound strange to others?

<< < (2/39) > >>

Thipu1:

--- Quote from: Redsoil on January 15, 2012, 07:48:10 AM ---A business in the US pops up often enough here that I've become used to it, but it still sounds a bit strange to me!  Chik-fil-a (I think that's the spelling).  It just seems "awkward" to me.

What names have others found slightly unusual or strange to their ears/eyes?

--- End quote ---

Think of Chik-FIL-A as pronounced like 'Chick Filet'.  It means a boneless piece of chicken and that's what the chain offers.  we don't have those have those restaurants around here but I wish we did.

The first time I visited the UK, I had a problem with the 'Royal Liver's Insurance'. I thought  this was a company to insure the organ that lies in the center of our bodies.  Well, yes.  People in the UK and Ireland do tend to like their beer.  I didn't know that the word was pronounced with a long 'I' rather than a short one. 

Irishkitty:

--- Quote from: Thipu1 on January 18, 2012, 11:31:09 AM ---
--- Quote from: Redsoil on January 15, 2012, 07:48:10 AM ---A business in the US pops up often enough here that I've become used to it, but it still sounds a bit strange to me!  Chik-fil-a (I think that's the spelling).  It just seems "awkward" to me.

What names have others found slightly unusual or strange to their ears/eyes?

--- End quote ---

Think of Chik-FIL-A as pronounced like 'Chick Filet'.  It means a boneless piece of chicken and that's what the chain offers.  we don't have those have those restaurants around here but I wish we did.

The first time I visited the UK, I had a problem with the 'Royal Liver's Insurance'. I thought  this was a company to insure the organ that lies in the center of our bodies.  Well, yes.  People in the UK and Ireland do tend to like their beer.  I didn't know that the word was pronounced with a long 'I' rather than a short one. 

--- End quote ---

Yes, it's pronounced "lye - vers" I believe.

"Scottish widows" is another - it's a pension/investment group.

BabylonSister:

--- Quote from: nutraxfornerves on January 18, 2012, 10:13:20 AM ---If my car is in an accident and I need the dents hammered out of the door, I take it to an American "body shop." If I were in Australia or New Zealand, I'd take it to a "panel beater." First time I saw "panel beater" on a sign, I had no idea what it might be. It certainly conjures up an image of a bunch of folks hammering out those dents.

--- End quote ---

And when *I* first came to the US and saw "body shop", I wondered why it didn't look girly and relaxing. I thought t would be a place where you'd buy beauty products for your body. ::)

Betelnut:

--- Quote from: Irishkitty on January 18, 2012, 10:05:59 AM ---
--- Quote from: Mrs T on January 18, 2012, 09:41:14 AM ---Not a business name, but business "type" - Realtor. I always have to think twice as to what it is, because to me, the name doesn't describe it.

--- End quote ---

Here we call them "estate agents" or "real estate agents". The former to me sounds like they're dealing with wills and the latter like they're dealing with vast huge stately properties.

"Siemens" - No need to comment there I feel.

"Soon Fatt" - a local take away  ::)

"Wimpys" (SPL?) - just seems wrong.

--- End quote ---

Wimpys is for a character in Popeye who ate hamburgers all the time.

Black Delphinium:
A former Dunkin Donuts turned locally owned donut shop in central Pennsylvania- Curry Donuts. I'm sure its the family name, but it sounded disgusting the first time I saw the sign.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version