Author Topic: Business names that sound strange to others?  (Read 42889 times)

amylouky

Re: Business names that sound strange to others?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 12:59:11 PM »
There's a cigar/tobacco store here called Cox's Smokers Outlet. It makes me snicker.
There's also a carpet outlet store in San Jose called MMM Carpet.. I was visiting a friend there and we passed by.. I said "Mmm, carpet?" He cracked up as he'd never thought of it that way.

LTrew

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 01:34:01 PM »
In England they pronounce filet more like fillet or fillit, so I can see how Chik-fil-a wouldn't make sense to them at all.  "Fillit" steak doesn't sound as nice to me as a filet mignon, even though it is the same cut :)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 03:30:14 PM »
In 'n' Out Burger is another one that sounds dirty to me - probably because I didn't discover the chain until I was old enough to think of other connotations.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 03:46:06 PM »
In 'n' Out Burger is another one that sounds dirty to me - probably because I didn't discover the chain until I was old enough to think of other connotations.

In 'n Out Burger used to have a bumper sticker that was very popular, but people usually cut out the B and the r in Burger to give the bumper sticker a whole different meaning.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Shopaholic

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 04:16:02 PM »
Bars in Tel Aviv like to have American names.
Some examples:

Rosa Parks
Lehman Brothers (they're still going strong)
Morty & Helen's
Betty Ford (oh, the irony...)

I wonder if the owners even know who Rosa Parks and Betty Ford were, or just heard it somewhere and thought it sounded cool.

MrTango

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 04:24:16 PM »
White Castle.

Around here, it's a fast-food place that specializes in very small "slider" burgers.

One of my wife's college roommates was from an area where White Castle was a chain of stores that specialize in adult "novelties" and videos.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 07:10:41 PM »
Not a business name, but business "type" - Realtor. I always have to think twice as to what it is, because to me, the name doesn't describe it.

Here we call them "estate agents" or "real estate agents". The former to me sounds like they're dealing with wills and the latter like they're dealing with vast huge stately properties.

There's actually a difference, at least in the US. Realtors are part of the National Association of Realtors. Real estate agents aren't.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 07:14:13 PM »

Along the same lines - Cum-n-Go. It's a chain of gas stations/convenience stores. Sounds like a house of ill repute, to me.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Bluenomi

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 07:28:51 PM »
If my car is in an accident and I need the dents hammered out of the door, I take it to an American "body shop." If I were in Australia or New Zealand, I'd take it to a "panel beater." First time I saw "panel beater" on a sign, I had no idea what it might be. It certainly conjures up an image of a bunch of folks hammering out those dents.

And when *I* first came to the US and saw "body shop", I wondered why it didn't look girly and relaxing. I thought t would be a place where you'd buy beauty products for your body. ::)

It is if you are in the UK or Australia. The Body Shop sells all sorts of smelly girly things and are renown for selling those gift baskets of soaps and body washes you buy the female in your life you don't know what to buy for.

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 07:41:39 PM »
If my car is in an accident and I need the dents hammered out of the door, I take it to an American "body shop." If I were in Australia or New Zealand, I'd take it to a "panel beater." First time I saw "panel beater" on a sign, I had no idea what it might be. It certainly conjures up an image of a bunch of folks hammering out those dents.

And when *I* first came to the US and saw "body shop", I wondered why it didn't look girly and relaxing. I thought t would be a place where you'd buy beauty products for your body. ::)

It is if you are in the UK or Australia. The Body Shop sells all sorts of smelly girly things and are renown for selling those gift baskets of soaps and body washes you buy the female in your life you don't know what to buy for.

Now that you mention it, I must have seen one of those in France (where I lived prior to the US). Clearly, a US body shop is a rather different animal.  ;D

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 07:44:43 PM »
The Body Shop sells girly stuff in the US, too.

Personally, I love my husband's business name: Noneyo Bidness.

We live in Hawaii.  Most people try to pronounce it "No neh yo" as if it were an Asian or Hawaiian name.  Nope.  Closer to ebonics.

DH loves it when some bureaucrat asks him, "What's the name of your company?"
DH:  Noneyo Bidness
Bureaucrat:  Sir, I need the name of the business.
DH:  The name is "Noneyo Bidness."

Sometimes it goes round a couple times before they ask for the spelling and realize that DH is a rascal. >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

wendelenn

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 11:36:17 PM »
The Body Shop sells girly stuff in the US, too.

Personally, I love my husband's business name: Noneyo Bidness.

We live in Hawaii.  Most people try to pronounce it "No neh yo" as if it were an Asian or Hawaiian name.  Nope.  Closer to ebonics.

DH loves it when some bureaucrat asks him, "What's the name of your company?"
DH:  Noneyo Bidness
Bureaucrat:  Sir, I need the name of the business.
DH:  The name is "Noneyo Bidness."

Sometimes it goes round a couple times before they ask for the spelling and realize that DH is a rascal. >:D

Who's on first? :)
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 03:13:03 AM »
Schindlers Lifts - an elevator company in Australia.  Why, just why?!

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2012, 03:40:54 AM »
I will always have a fondness for Chik Fil A, as a Romanian friend of mine just could not get the name right. He always called it "cheek a fil." I thought that was adorable.

I have a fondness for Chik-Fil-A since they once came around on BLack Friday and handed out hot chicken sandwiches to everyone waiting in line to announce the opening of a new store...about 5 miles away.

There is a store here in Tucson called The House of Hubcaps. It make me think of Bob & Ray, because it sounds like something they would have come up with.

Shopaholic

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2012, 06:41:02 AM »
Schindlers Lifts - an elevator company in Australia.  Why, just why?!

Schindler is a huge company that is the biggest escalator manufacturer in the world, and a big elevator manufacturer as well.
According to wikipedia, they've been around since 1874 so they definitely have seniority - with both Oskar and Spielberg.