Author Topic: Business names that sound strange to others?  (Read 40278 times)

dawnfire

Re: Business names that sound strange to others?
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2012, 07:37:59 PM »
the used to be a bar called someplace else.

shadowfox79

« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2012, 02:22:39 AM »
There's a dress shop I used to pass on my route to work, called "The Story of O".

I have no idea if they've read the book, but it made me laugh every time I saw it.

Hilarious  ;D ;D

I'd imagine they've probably not read it, although it would depend on what they sold and it's location.  If it's in Soho and caters to some scenes, they probably did it intentionally.  If it's in Tunbridge Wells selling evening wear then probably not.

It's in Leeds, and sells vintage clothing. Not something I'd associate with "The Story of O"!

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2012, 06:18:22 AM »
There's a business near me called CPAP care, which I think is something medical, but you can't help calling it Crap Care.

Victoria

squeakers

« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2012, 08:53:32 AM »
A local city decided to jump on the app wagon.  It has one that tells you about the city and where to eat/shop etc.

Cedar Rapids is a great place.. so I am not sure I would have went with the following:

CR
App

"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2012, 11:22:43 AM »

We have a local bar called 'The Fifth Amendment'

For those of you who don't know it, 'Taking the Fifth' in US courts, means refusing to answer a question when the answer may incriminate the witness. 

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2012, 11:33:42 AM »
There's a business near me called CPAP care, which I think is something medical, but you can't help calling it Crap Care.
CPAP is "Continuous positive airway pressure," a type of breathing machine. It is often used by people who have sleep apnea.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2012, 12:16:13 AM »
I've seen the T&A Truck Stops here in Ontario Canada (and probably elsewhere), makes me think of......well, I think you know, lol!

Jules

Shea

« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2012, 09:06:32 PM »
Canadian Tire doesn't sound rude, but it does throw people off if they haven't heard of it before. It sounds like an auto-parts store (and they do have tires and auto parts!) but they also sell all kinds of stuff, from dishes to vacuum cleaners to boots.

On the subject of business names that sound naughty, there's a restaurant in Portland, OR, called Wanker's :o.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2012, 10:03:01 PM »
One business (in the home-maintenance category) has, as part of its name, "All Seasons".  I contacted them a couple of days ago and left a voicemail.

They called me back, rather irate, and told me that of course they are not open during the winter.  Okey-dokey....

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2012, 10:08:36 PM »
Pathology . a benign encysted tumor of the skin, especially on the scalp, containing sebaceous matter; a sebaceous cyst.

British . a large, crowded city or a crowded urban district: London is the great wen of England.

That's the definition of 'wen'. My mother had a wen and I hated doing her hair because it was so awful to me. Now, there's a quite respected and I understand pretty good line of hair care products from Wen. I can't find out where the name came from, but I'm sure there is a good reason for it that has nothing to do with the wen I knew.

To me, it's as much a turnoff as restaurants called 'The Feed Lot', that I mentioned above, I think.

Shopaholic

« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2012, 03:14:53 AM »
There is a new bistro in town called "Betty White"

I think the trend is to find an English woman's name, regardless of who she is, and name an establishment after her. I've already mentioned this, but we have pubs called Rosa Parks, Betty Ford, Frieda Kahlo (at least it's latin-inspired), Vicky Cristina (tapas bar), and more...

Martienne

• Formerly yello.cape.cod
« Reply #116 on: April 19, 2012, 03:26:33 AM »

There's one here called Somewhere...

The ellipsis is part of the name.

turtleIScream

« Reply #117 on: April 19, 2012, 10:41:43 AM »
In the US, it's common for car dealerships to put their name on cars they sell - either through a sticker, license plate surround, or even painted on. I was driving behind a car the other day that was purchased from Krapohl Autos.

Lynn2000

« Reply #118 on: April 22, 2012, 11:01:28 PM »
Apparently there's a chain of supermarkets in the US called Piggly Wiggly. Maybe in the South? I'm in the Midwest and have never seen one in real life. I guess you get used to things, but I can't imagine saying, "I'm going to run down to the Piggly Wiggly," with a straight face... :)
~Lynn2000

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #119 on: April 22, 2012, 11:12:44 PM »
Apparently there's a chain of supermarkets in the US called Piggly Wiggly. Maybe in the South? I'm in the Midwest and have never seen one in real life. I guess you get used to things, but I can't imagine saying, "I'm going to run down to the Piggly Wiggly," with a straight face... :)

Yup, it's in the South. I've only seen them when in South Carolina, though.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter