Author Topic: Business names that sound strange to others?  (Read 41374 times)

JoW

Re: Business names that sound strange to others?
« Reply #120 on: April 22, 2012, 11:20:17 PM »
Piggly Wiggly is common in the south east US.  The founder of the chain promoted something just about everyone on this board uses at least once each week.

The Shopping Cart was introduced in a Piggly Wiggly. 

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2012, 09:34:35 AM »
Not just the south - there's one in my hometown in Wisconsin, as well as one here in Alabama.  It's a great name, though!

Bethczar

« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2012, 04:43:41 PM »
When my class was studying Beowulf my friend drew the Piggly Wiggly pig with Viking horns. She called it Piglaf Wiglaf.  :P

There were no Piggly Wiggly stores in my town, but I've seen them in other Wisconsin towns since.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2012, 05:23:05 PM »
Apparently there's a chain of supermarkets in the US called Piggly Wiggly. Maybe in the South? I'm in the Midwest and have never seen one in real life. I guess you get used to things, but I can't imagine saying, "I'm going to run down to the Piggly Wiggly," with a straight face... :)

In the Midwest, my grandmother used to go shopping at the Hinky Dinky.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #124 on: April 23, 2012, 08:03:43 PM »
Piggly Wiggly is common in the south east US.  The founder of the chain promoted something just about everyone on this board uses at least once each week.

I remember it being mentioned in the film Driving Miss Daisy.  IIRC, she was "on her way to the Piggly Wiggly" when she hit the accelerator instead of the brake, and her son decided No More Driving.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #125 on: April 23, 2012, 10:14:51 PM »

I remember it being mentioned in the film Driving Miss Daisy.  IIRC, she was "on her way to the Piggly Wiggly" when she hit the accelerator instead of the brake, and her son decided No More Driving.

If she had really been from the area, she would have said 'the Pig'......oh, wait!. It was very proper Miss Daisy.

It used to creep me out that the icon Piggly wore a butcher cap and an apron. I swear I saw him with a cleaver in his front hock once, but I can't find it, so it must have been my 7 year old imagination at work.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #126 on: April 23, 2012, 11:17:56 PM »
I can't remember where I first saw it, but there's a very handy four-point system for determining how good a barbecue restaurant is:

1 point: has a non-porcine logo
2 points: has a pig as the logo
3 points: the pig is anthropomorphic
4 points: the pig is smiling while preparing to cannibalistically chow down on some pork barbecue

The more points the restaurant has, the better  :P

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #127 on: April 24, 2012, 09:20:40 AM »
I can't remember where I first saw it, but there's a very handy four-point system for determining how good a barbecue restaurant is:

4 points: the pig is smiling while preparing to cannibalistically chow down on some pork barbecue

Similarly, it always disturbs me a little when I see those teddy bear making stores where there's a big tub of cotton being turned by a teddy bear.  I mean, think of the human equivalent: a person continually churning a giant barrel of guts!  It's barbaric!  ;D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #128 on: April 24, 2012, 11:16:42 AM »
You don't see it so much these days, but a few decades ago there were stores that specialized in gifts, cards, and stationery  that had very odd names. 

In the neighborhood where we live, there was the 'Windmill'.  We still have a stationery shop called 'Lion in the Sun'.

When I was a child, the little town where we lived had the 'Beehive' right across the street from the 'Penguin'.

BTW, 'Lion in the Sun' makes for great entertainment.  They do custom invitations and display samples in the shop window.  Sometimes, they throw in a zinger. A sample might be something like,

'Ann and Ben Collins are proud to announce the arrival of Baby David. 
Born x date at y hospital. 
Length: 20 inches.
weight: 42 pounds.

You have to admit, things like this do make people stop for a look and a laugh.

drzim

« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2012, 02:56:38 PM »
the used to be a bar called someplace else.

We have a local bar called 'The Fifth Amendment'

For those of you who don't know it, 'Taking the Fifth' in US courts, means refusing to answer a question when the answer may incriminate the witness.

We have a local brewpub called the '21st Amendment' which of course, was the amendment that repealed Prohibition...

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2012, 08:40:49 PM »
Apparently there's a chain of supermarkets in the US called Piggly Wiggly. Maybe in the South? I'm in the Midwest and have never seen one in real life. I guess you get used to things, but I can't imagine saying, "I'm going to run down to the Piggly Wiggly," with a straight face... :)

Oh, yes. Piggly Wiggly is all over here in my city (Charleston, SC). We usually just say "I'm running to the Pig- need anything?" Of course, if you need some harder to find items you go to the "Big Pig" which is the largest store in the chain in my area, because they have more variety. My next door neighbor is the manager of my local Pig!

Some things about the Pig:

They are very into selling locally grown foods, which is a big plus for a lot of people. We have a large farming community so many of us prefer to buy our produce there.

The Newton family, the owners of the chain, also own one of our finest (and nationally renowned) restaurants.

They have recently come out with their own brand of beer called Pig Swig.

I used to know a young woman who was married to a Newton. Sadly, she was widowed a few years later. When she remarried several years later, the Newtons insisted on giving her a $2 million house as a wedding gift. Must be nice!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #131 on: May 01, 2012, 12:22:57 PM »
In NY and NJ its not uncommon, or at least it wasn't as of a few years ago (I drive less now) to see delivery trucks labeled G.O.D., with their contact info prominently displayed 1 800 Dial God and their reassurance "With G.O.D., you gain the peace of mind that your shipment will arrive on-time and intact - guaranteed"

Guaranteed
Overnight
Delivery

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #132 on: May 01, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »
A new Thai restaurant opened up in my neighborhood.

Thai-A-Royd. Yup, thyroid. It's actually getting decent reviews, so in spite of the name, I think I have[i/] to eat there.
Utah

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
« Reply #133 on: May 18, 2012, 07:31:28 PM »

Reminds me of a Cuban sandwich shop I fell in love with during a summer in Cape Canaveral, FL. This is their catering poster:
http://nasa2008.shutterfly.com/234

MAN those were some good sandwiches! Alas, they are unwilling/unable to overnight one to me in CO. :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
« Reply #134 on: May 18, 2012, 07:33:44 PM »
A new Thai restaurant opened up in my neighborhood.

Thai-A-Royd. Yup, thyroid. It's actually getting decent reviews, so in spite of the name, I think I have[i/] to eat there.

How about Thai Tanic?