Author Topic: Business names that sound strange to others?  (Read 44069 times)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Re: Business names that sound strange to others?
« Reply #135 on: May 18, 2012, 08:25:15 PM »
A Chinese restaurant: Fook Yuen.

I know, it's a legitimate Chinese name and it is only our infantile sense of humor that twists it around into something that sounds bad. >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #136 on: May 19, 2012, 12:12:06 AM »
I was a bit sad to see today that "Vinnie's Authentic Indian" finally has closed.  I mean, I suppose "Vinnie" can be a nickname for a traditionally Indian name too, but the "authentic" part always made me picture some stereotypical Italian mobster guy saying "no really, it's Indian food!"

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #137 on: May 27, 2012, 01:39:23 PM »
I used to live in a NJ city where there were 2 businesses next to each other: one was named "Fox," the other "Mulder."  :)

jmarvellous

« Reply #138 on: June 07, 2012, 12:06:14 PM »
Apparently there's a chain of supermarkets in the US called Piggly Wiggly. Maybe in the South? I'm in the Midwest and have never seen one in real life. I guess you get used to things, but I can't imagine saying, "I'm going to run down to the Piggly Wiggly," with a straight face... :)

Oh, yes. Piggly Wiggly is all over here in my city (Charleston, SC). We usually just say "I'm running to the Pig- need anything?" Of course, if you need some harder to find items you go to the "Big Pig" which is the largest store in the chain in my area, because they have more variety. My next door neighbor is the manager of my local Pig!

Some things about the Pig:

They are very into selling locally grown foods, which is a big plus for a lot of people. We have a large farming community so many of us prefer to buy our produce there.

The Newton family, the owners of the chain, also own one of our finest (and nationally renowned) restaurants.

They have recently come out with their own brand of beer called Pig Swig.

I used to know a young woman who was married to a Newton. Sadly, she was widowed a few years later. When she remarried several years later, the Newtons insisted on giving her a $2 million house as a wedding gift. Must be nice!

As far as I can tell, Piggly Wiggly is a chain of independently owned shops started by the Saunders family.

It looks like your local stores are the chain's largest franchise group, once owned by some Newtons and now run by a man with the surname of Schools and "employee-owned."

The one Piggly Wiggly I have experience with, in Georgia in the '80s and '90s, was disgusting. I hope they've improved over the years! Perhaps individual franchisees excel.

Moving on ...
My town has Book People and Book Woman. Either seems to accept patrons of any age and sex (though the former is a general-interest bookstore and the latter is a feminist/female interest bookstore).

For some reason the Poodle Dog Lounge (which has a (trashy) Christmas theme year-round) cracks me up.

GeauxTigers

• Runs with scissors
« Reply #139 on: June 12, 2012, 09:23:08 PM »
I used to live in a NJ city where there were 2 businesses next to each other: one was named "Fox," the other "Mulder."  :)

Oh, excellent! Did they root for the Jersey Devils?

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #140 on: August 21, 2012, 02:55:24 PM »
Is the Piggly Wiggly the one with a giant sun with sunglasses on that looks like a deranged Lisa Simpson?  I sort of remember seeing lots of those when driving through the South. 

DavidH

« Reply #141 on: August 21, 2012, 03:22:53 PM »
I think it was the presentation, but there is a marmalade made by Wm P. Hartley.  For a long time, on the top of the jar in the US, the P. and Hartley were so closely spaced that it read like one word suggesting an undesirable result from consuming it.

jmarvellous

« Reply #142 on: August 21, 2012, 04:03:57 PM »
Is the Piggly Wiggly the one with a giant sun with sunglasses on that looks like a deranged Lisa Simpson?  I sort of remember seeing lots of those when driving through the South.

Piggly Wiggly has a pig in a paper hat.

Pippen

« Reply #143 on: August 24, 2012, 05:39:26 PM »
Schindlers Lifts - an elevator company in Australia.  Why, just why?!

Because if you get stuck in one no one will come and help you. 10 of us spent 3 hours tapped in one one night and the operators on the emergency phone kept hanging up on us and refused to send a tech out. Eventually we managed to prise the doors open and escape between 2 floors.

snowdragon

« Reply #144 on: August 24, 2012, 11:45:42 PM »
Two for the Dr Who fans out there:

Dalex Construction

and

Dalex Extermination

The first is almost brain hurty.

marcel

« Reply #145 on: September 02, 2012, 08:18:05 AM »
Schindlers Lifts - an elevator company in Australia.  Why, just why?!

Because if you get stuck in one no one will come and help you. 10 of us spent 3 hours tapped in one one night and the operators on the emergency phone kept hanging up on us and refused to send a tech out. Eventually we managed to prise the doors open and escape between 2 floors.
To be fair though, those operators probably don't work for Schindler. On the other hand, we once had to wait 3 hours for the Schindler mechanic to come, when we had people stuck in an elevator. By that time we had already had the fire department rescue them, and then we had a good talk with Schindler about response times.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

katycoo

« Reply #146 on: September 02, 2012, 09:16:27 PM »
I once stood outside a restaurant called "Gaylords". In London!!

Gaylord is an oldfashioned men's first name.  In London, that doesn't suprise me at all.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #147 on: September 03, 2012, 09:01:23 AM »
I once stood outside a restaurant called "Gaylords". In London!!

Gaylord is an oldfashioned men's first name.  In London, that doesn't suprise me at all.

There is a town named Gaylord in Michigan.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #148 on: September 06, 2012, 02:00:57 PM »
There is a building easily visible from the interstate that has its name in big letters. "SIX & GEVING".  I never read it right...

Also, there is a chain of tire and lube stores called Abra.  I want to open up a shop next to each one of their chains and name it Cadabra; it will be a body shop ;).

ETA: proper spelling.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #149 on: September 07, 2012, 11:09:11 AM »
There's a firm that's involved a lot in public constructions around my town - Priestley Demolitions.

I know it's just a name, but I love to visualize them doing their job by blowing ram's horns instead of using wrecking balls.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."