Author Topic: Business names that sound strange to others?  (Read 41620 times)

wendelenn

Re: Business names that sound strange to others?
« Reply #150 on: September 07, 2012, 11:11:09 AM »
There's a firm that's involved a lot in public constructions around my town - Priestley Demolitions.

I know it's just a name, but I love to visualize them doing their job by blowing ram's horns instead of using wrecking balls.

No, they use the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. One, two, FIVE! (Three, sir!) Three! :)
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

GeauxTigers

• Runs with scissors
« Reply #151 on: September 07, 2012, 04:03:27 PM »
There's a firm that's involved a lot in public constructions around my town - Priestley Demolitions.

I know it's just a name, but I love to visualize them doing their job by blowing ram's horns instead of using wrecking balls.

No, they use the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. One, two, FIVE! (Three, sir!) Three! :)

But the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch is not designed for demolition purposes - it is intended only to blowest thine enemy into tiny bits, in thy mercy...

crella

« Reply #152 on: September 08, 2012, 05:25:58 AM »

My kingdom for a 'like' button   ;D

There's a couple of Chinese restaurants near our house in the US called 'Chin-chin'. I have no idea what it means in Chinese, but in Japanese it means 'p*nis'. DH always makes some kind of remark when we go by one.

Chonsil

« Reply #153 on: September 08, 2012, 05:05:37 PM »
I've been skimming a bit and I don't think I've missed a mention of this but forgive me if I'm wrong.

This isn't an individual business name as such, but in the UK the people that make headstones for graves are called "monumental sculptors". It took me ages to figure out what they were and I still can't help but think of "monumental" as meaning "huge" or "exceptionally great" instead of literally, "monuments".

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #154 on: October 14, 2012, 10:35:48 PM »

But the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch is not designed for demolition purposes - it is intended only to blowest thine enemy into tiny bits, in thy mercy...

Thank you for making my night!

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #155 on: October 14, 2012, 11:17:36 PM »
There is a building easily visible from the interstate that has its name in big letters. "SIX & GEVING".  I never read it right...

Also, there is a chain of tire and lube stores called Abra.  I want to open up a shop next to each one of their chains and name it Cadabra; it will be a body shop ;).

ETA: proper spelling.

Around here there is an Abra Auto Glass.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #156 on: October 15, 2012, 01:37:40 AM »
There is a building easily visible from the interstate that has its name in big letters. "SIX & GEVING".  I never read it right...

Also, there is a chain of tire and lube stores called Abra.  I want to open up a shop next to each one of their chains and name it Cadabra; it will be a body shop ;).

ETA: proper spelling.

Around here there is an Abra Auto Glass.

That may actually be what it is; I couldn't exactly remember so I guessed  :-[
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #157 on: October 28, 2012, 11:32:11 AM »
I once stood outside a restaurant called "Gaylords". In London!!

Gaylord is an oldfashioned men's first name.  In London, that doesn't suprise me at all.

There is a town named Gaylord in Michigan.

There is also a chain of high priced resorts called Gaylord, as well as the arena (now named Bridgestone)in Nashville used to be called Gaylord.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #158 on: October 28, 2012, 12:39:15 PM »
I can't remember where I first saw it, but there's a very handy four-point system for determining how good a barbecue restaurant is:

1 point: has a non-porcine logo
2 points: has a pig as the logo
3 points: the pig is anthropomorphic
4 points: the pig is smiling while preparing to cannibalistically chow down on some pork barbecue

The more points the restaurant has, the better  :P

The Naked Rib was pretty good - it was an anthromorphic pib trying to cover its ribs & hamhocks with its trotters & blushing.  At least a number 3.....

Someone bought the building, changed the name, and now there is no BBQ place in it......sadly, we only ate there about twice as it was halfway between my house and Lil Sis's.  I live just north of Sugar Land and she lives really close to the Johnson Space Center - it takes a bit over an hour to drive from one house to the other.......and we are both still in the Houston area.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

25wishes

« Reply #159 on: October 28, 2012, 03:25:39 PM »
A few around here

Twin Rivers Urology

Half Hollow Dental Center

crella

« Reply #160 on: October 28, 2012, 05:06:19 PM »
We have Gaylord's in Suma (near Kobe) and their Indian food is great!

Specky

« Reply #161 on: December 03, 2012, 10:29:26 AM »
Vietnamese restaurant in the next town over:  Thang Long.

Lynn2000

« Reply #162 on: December 06, 2012, 10:41:42 PM »
I was traveling in the northern Midwest over the summer and there seems to be a chain of gas station convenience stores called something like... Kum & Go. I think, is it just me, or... ??
~Lynn2000

Xandraea

« Reply #163 on: December 07, 2012, 09:46:55 AM »
On a visit to Japan, I saw in a major city a large all-glass building with these words emblazoned on the side:  "Made In ONLY."

I've no idea what type of business that was but it made me giggle and I took a photo, much like this one that I found online:  http://www.traveljournals.net/pictures/133460.html

To be fair, I've also heard that in Japan, English letters/words are often used as decoration, much as Japanese characters are so popular elsewhere as tattoos and tshirts. (I so wanted to buy some of the nonsensical tshirts I saw in Japan that seemed to be random English words put together in a decorative, eye-pleasing fashion).

HermioneGranger

« Reply #164 on: December 07, 2012, 10:47:56 AM »
We have a D*i*c*k*'s Halfway Inn in my area.    >:D