Author Topic: Business names that sound strange to others?  (Read 44153 times)

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
Re: Business names that sound strange to others?
« Reply #165 on: December 16, 2012, 03:41:07 PM »
I was traveling in the northern Midwest over the summer and there seems to be a chain of gas station convenience stores called something like... Kum & Go. I think, is it just me, or... ??

Yup.

http://www.kumandgo.com/

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #166 on: December 16, 2012, 03:49:27 PM »
I was traveling in the northern Midwest over the summer and there seems to be a chain of gas station convenience stores called something like... Kum & Go. I think, is it just me, or... ??

Nope - long ago, my friends & I collected lighters from that chain for just that reason. I may have even posted about it early in this thread. :)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Shopaholic

« Reply #167 on: January 03, 2013, 12:38:49 AM »
Oh dear deity, I just heard of a restaurant called "Zygote".

catbug

« Reply #168 on: April 07, 2013, 03:06:18 AM »
One of the best fish and chip shops I have been to is near the St Lucia campus of University of Queensland. It's called "A Salt and Battery". Think it is the best business name I have ever heard.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #169 on: April 07, 2013, 01:29:38 PM »
A new Thai restaurant opened up in my neighborhood.

Thai-A-Royd. Yup, thyroid. It's actually getting decent reviews, so in spite of the name, I think I have[i/] to eat there.

Well, it could be worse.  Imagine the restaurant being owned by someone with the last name of Hemor ...

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #170 on: April 22, 2013, 02:10:52 AM »
To add to the list of 'cute' business names, there is (or was - it's a few years since. I drove past it)  a bakery in Coventry, in the UK, called  "The House of the Rising Bun"
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

jmarvellous

« Reply #171 on: April 22, 2013, 09:55:44 AM »
We are visiting a place soon with a bar called The Poop Deck ... "where you will take my picture and proceed to post it all over the Internet," says my fiance. Indeed I will.

(Yes, we do know what a poop deck is.)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #172 on: April 22, 2013, 10:10:42 AM »
I always wondered if so many others were put off by the name as my husband was
What was so off-putting about the name Chi-Chi?

If you had asked one of my cousins when he was little he would have said it tricks you.   My maternal grandmother was nicknamed Gigi and though she wasn't my cousins grandmother, he was very fond of her. 

Once when visiting with their family we said we were going to Chi-Chi's.  He heard "Gigi's" and burst into tears when we arrived and Gigi wasn't there.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #173 on: April 22, 2013, 10:30:21 AM »
There is a dog groomer's near my house that is called Doggy Stylin'.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #174 on: May 17, 2013, 09:35:20 AM »

mime

« Reply #175 on: May 17, 2013, 12:54:17 PM »
Someone already mentioned "Knobs and Knockers"-- we used to have a store by the same name where I live. It always made me smile.

Sometimes I drive by a butcher's shop called "Meat Market". It is straighforward enough, but that had a different meaning when I was in high school.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #176 on: May 17, 2013, 01:17:42 PM »
Inspired by 'The Meat Market':

I went to an agricultural university.  There was a dance bar on campus called 'The Bull Ring'.  Not really that unusual a name but...

The father of one of my friends also went to the same university 30 years earlier.  She mentioned that she'd been to 'The Bull Ring' over the weekend and dear old Dad reminisced about when they used to show cattle there.  She skipped a beat and then said, 'Well, they kind of still do, Dad.'
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Dawse

« Reply #177 on: May 20, 2013, 05:52:37 AM »
There's a sandwich shop quite near to where I live called 'Nice Baps'. Their sign has a cartoon of a lovely lady holding two very well endowed bread rolls.

Also, there's a company that makes commercial kitchen knives - they're very good quality apparently - but I'm always slightly put off by the fact they're called D!ck Knives.
'I reject your reality and substitute my own!'

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #178 on: May 20, 2013, 02:57:19 PM »
The cafeteria at the University of Colorado at Boulder includes the Alferd Packer Memorial Grill with the slogan "Have a friend for lunch!" (named for a man who is believed to have committed cannibalism in the late 1800s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alferd_Packer)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #179 on: May 20, 2013, 03:16:10 PM »
The cafeteria at the University of Colorado at Boulder includes the Alferd Packer Memorial Grill with the slogan "Have a friend for lunch!" (named for a man who is believed to have committed cannibalism in the late 1800s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alferd_Packer)

I also hear that there's an (in)appropriately named picnic area off the Donner Pass.   :D