Author Topic: Business names that sound strange to others?  (Read 44055 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: Business names that sound strange to others?
« Reply #180 on: May 21, 2013, 01:46:50 AM »
The cafeteria at the University of Colorado at Boulder includes the Alferd Packer Memorial Grill with the slogan "Have a friend for lunch!" (named for a man who is believed to have committed cannibalism in the late 1800s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alferd_Packer)

I also hear that there's an (in)appropriately named picnic area off the Donner Pass.   :D

Dish!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Paper Roses

« Reply #181 on: May 21, 2013, 01:56:04 AM »
For very (thankfully) short time there was a place nearby - I know they sold some fat-free baked goods, probably coffee and drinks too.  Anyway, the name of the place was "Heeeyyyyy Fatty!"

Is it any wonder they didn't last?
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

cwm

« Reply #182 on: May 30, 2013, 03:57:16 PM »
One business name that always threw me when I was younger was the phrase "solicitor". To me, growing up in the US, that was someone who solicited someone for something, usually s*x. When I finally realized that it was another term for a lawyer, it made much more sense.

We have a local car dealership with several makes, Mr. O'Neill. I always laugh because he has websites such as oneillhonda or oneillauto. I was apparently the first person in my family who realized that it could easily be saying One Ill Honda.

We also have a Quick Lube in town, as well as a few bars. There's The Other Place and JJ's Other Place, not in any way connected to each other.

There's a college town I've been to that has a bar called The Library. "Oh, yeah, mom, I was at The Library all night last night..."

Dawse

« Reply #183 on: June 05, 2013, 11:39:53 AM »

There's a college town I've been to that has a bar called The Library. "Oh, yeah, mom, I was at The Library all night last night..."

There's a pub in Brighton called The Office! 'Oh, hey honey. Yeah, I'm still at The Office... probably going to be a late night...'
'I reject your reality and substitute my own!'

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #184 on: June 05, 2013, 03:13:29 PM »

There's a pub in Brighton called The Office! 'Oh, hey honey. Yeah, I'm still at The Office... probably going to be a late night...'
When I worked in Redwood City, CA, I used to stop for a drink on my way to the train at a bar called "The Office."
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #185 on: June 05, 2013, 03:53:15 PM »
In our college town it was "The Library".

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #186 on: June 09, 2013, 09:54:56 AM »
Near the George Washington Bridge bus station, there used to be a place called the 'Terminal Luncheonette'. 

At the Brooklyn Pride parade last night, there was an organization with the laudable aim of promoting safe sex practices.  They do excellent work but they have an unfortunate name, 'Condom Nation'. 

dawnfire

« Reply #187 on: June 09, 2013, 07:28:19 PM »

there's a bar here in Melbourne called someplace else.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 07:29:58 PM by dawnfire »

mom2four

« Reply #188 on: June 11, 2013, 04:06:06 AM »
In Denmark we have a big travel company called Spies (pronounced spees). I never thought it funny untill I took my American family to the airport and they saw what they thought was a special check in counter for spies.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #189 on: June 11, 2013, 11:03:41 PM »
Not so much inappropriate as a cultural mismatch - "Shangri La Japanese Grill".

Named for a fictional monastery in Tibet..........
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #190 on: June 12, 2013, 10:17:19 AM »
In Denmark we have a big travel company called Spies (pronounced spees). I never thought it funny untill I took my American family to the airport and they saw what they thought was a special check in counter for spies.

I'm sure I'd have thought the same thing.  But I would have also thought "What the heck kind of spies would advertise that this is their line and let their faces show like this?"    ???   ;D

Pen^2

« Reply #191 on: June 12, 2013, 10:53:50 AM »
Maybe more brand names than business names, but I'll bite.

In our basement, just past where Smaug (the furnace) sleeps, is a fire extinguisher imported from a far-off foreign land. It is labelled clearly and in large letters: "FIRE KILL". Never has pidgin English been so efficient.

DH buys the kind of cheese that is pre-sliced, with each slice wrapped in plastic, so as to infuse the delicate flesh of the cheese with the subtle flavour of plastic. The brand is "Head Cheese", meaning, one can only presume, 'top cheese', 'boss of the cheeses', etc. rather than 'putrefied and pureed brain'.