Author Topic: Come keep us company at expensive event - and don't forget your wallet!  (Read 4523 times)

Miss Unleaded

Re: Come keep us company at expensive event - and don't forget your wallet!
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2007, 03:38:57 AM »
Well, it was definitely rude of them to eat dinner/dessert in front of you!

I agree.  If the OP and her husband arrived at the agreed on time and the other couple were still eating, I'd consider that pretty rude.  Especially if I had to wait without being offered at least something to drink.

I think the other couple should have offered to help split the cost of transport and parking, or perhaps bought a drink or snacks for the OP at the event.  The OP doesn't mention whether or not they did.

I don't think they were rude not to pay for tickets or a meal though, unless they said they would.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2007, 12:19:58 PM »
Well, it was definitely rude of them to eat dinner/dessert in front of you!

Yup, that is a bit off. If someone is at my house while I am eating, they should be offered drinks/snacks.

(Unless they showed up super early)

Nothing else seems off though. If someone invites me to keep them company at an event, I would assume I'm paying for everything.

Emmy

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2007, 12:40:16 PM »
Second: I did not think they OWED us anything.  Had they offered to pay for our tickets, we would have said no.  Had they offered to feed us anything more than a very cheap dinner, we would have said no or offered to split the cost.  All I wanted was the gesture.  Because they were asking us to do something that would be a financial imposition IF WE SAID YES.  Yes, I totally GET that we could have said no.

Not offering to pay was not rude of the couple.  Some people (maybe not you guys, but other people) would take them up on the offer and maybe they didn't want to make the gesture of taking you out to dinner or splitting the ticket if they weren't prepared to do so if you said yes.  Making an offer that you aren't willing to follow through on is rude.

You and your husband didn't have to go to the concert, you could have declined doing that.  True, they asked you to do something expensive, but as long as they didn't promise to pay beforehand and change their mind, they were not rude by doing this.  You also had the right to say 'no' and that would not have been rude.

I'd also be interested about how you got roped into driving.  As the people who invited you, I think they should offer to drive to the event.  I feel it is a little rude for them to suggest you drive when they invited you along to the event (if this is what happened).  The really rude thing this couple did was eating in front of you and not offering you any food.  Because you went through the trouble of driving them to the even, the least they could have done was offer you some food or a cup of coffee.