Author Topic: Cookies  (Read 11151 times)

Urbanfairy

Re: Cookies
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 11:29:36 AM »
good old fashioned Gingerbread.

2 oz butter
2 oz sugar
1 ½ tablespoons golden syrup
6 oz self-raising flour
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 heaped teaspoon ground ginger

Pre-heat oven to Gas Mark 5, 375 F or 190 C

·   Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger into a bowl
·   Melt butter, sugar and syrup in a saucepan, stirring occasionally
·   Remove from heat when melted
·   Stir melted ingredients into dry ingredients until you have a fairly stiff dough
·   Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll till about ¼ inch thick
·   Cut out using cookie cutters
·   Lightly grease a baking tray
·   Bake for 8 – 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
·   Decorate when cool

« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 11:31:13 AM by Uf »

prettyinorange

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 04:00:52 PM »
Chocolate Raspberry Chocolate Chip Cookies

These are based on the Toll House cookie recipe, but end up tasting nothing like them. They're very rich and chocolatey, with just enough raspberry to balance out the chocolate overload.

2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 sticks butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 package (12 oz) Hershey’s Special Dark chocolate chips
8 tbsp cocoa powder
5 tsp raspberry extract

Preheat the oven to 375.
In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder until the mix is well-blended and light brown in color.
Melt the butter in the microwave. Transfer to a large mixing bowl with the sugars, egg, vanilla extract, and raspberry extract, and mix until just blended (don’t overmix - your dough won't be easy to handle). Gradually stir in the dry ingredient mixture, and work into a thick, sticky dough. Dump in the entire bag of chocolate chips, stir gently, and walk away from the bowl. Check your email, dry your hair, or otherwise occupy yourself for 5-10 minutes. When you return, the dough will be slightly less sticky, and ready to shape into cookies.
Unlike Toll House cookies, these aren’t really drop cookies. They don’t spread out in the same manner, and if you do just plop some balls of cookie dough onto the baking sheet, they’ll come out super thick and cakey. To get around this, roll out balls of dough (between 1 tsp and 2 tbsp in size, depending on how big you want the cookies to be) and smush them flat as you drop them onto an ungreased baking sheet. 3/8" thickness is just right.
Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to wire rack.
Serve with a tall glass of cold milk.

If you're not a fan of raspberry - or if you really just want chocolate chocolate chip cookies - the raspberry extract is optional.

Photo here.

dawbs

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 12:44:41 PM »
Snickerdoodles

1c. Shortening
1-1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
2-3/4 c. flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. soda
1/4 tsp. salt

2 T. sugar
2 T. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 F

Mix shortening, sugar, and eggs.  Sift flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt; stir into shortening mixture.
Roll dough into 1 inch balls.
Mix together the 2T of cinnamon and sugar.  Roll balls in mixture.
Place cookies 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet; bake 8 to 10 minutes at 400 F
(makes about 6 dozen)

(edited to fix to say 'salt' instead of 'sugar')
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 09:32:03 AM by dawbs »

dawbs

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 12:56:13 PM »
Mint grasshopper double dip slices
(given to me by MIL)

1 c sugar
1 c. Butter (softened)
1 egg
1 Tablespoon of milk
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
3 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted, cooled
2-1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Coating:
20 oz vanilla flavored candy coating (almond bark coating)
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
a few drops of green food coloring
11 oz semi sweet baking chocolate
1 Tablespoon shortening

Combine sugar & butter in a large bowl, beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy.
Add egg, milk and peppermint extract; beat until well mixed.
add 3 oz of melted chocolate, beat until well mixed.
In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
Reduce mixer to low speed and beat flour mixture into cookie mixture.

Divide dough in half; shape each into a 8" by 1-1/2" long roll.  Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Re-shape each dough half into a round roll before unwrapping.
(if chilled overnight, stand at room temp for 10-20 min before slicing)

Cut rolls into thin, 1/8 inch slices with a sharp knife.  (if you cut them thicker, they'll be less crisp).  Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookies sheet.  bake 10-12 minutes.  Cool 1 minute.  Remove from cookie sheet and finish cooling.  (cool completely before dipping or they're more likely to break)

Melt vanilla candy coating over low heat (double boiler or in microwave), stirring often.  stir in peppermint extract and food coloring.  Dip cookies HALFWAY into melted coating and place on waxed paper for coating to harden (at least 20 minutes)

Melt the 11 oz of baking chocolate and shortening in saucepan over low heat (or microwave/double boiler), stirring until smooth.  dip cookies into melted chocolate, overlapping half of green coating.  Shake off excess and place on waxed paper at least 2 hours (or refrigerated 20 min) to set chocolate. 

Store in single layer between sheets of waxed paper in a cool place.

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 09:35:36 AM »
Made the snickerdoodles last night  - YUM - now I just wish I had some vanilla ice cream to make ice cream sandwiches with!

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 03:01:05 PM »
My all-time favorite cookie recipe(s):

Take a standard cake mix, any flavor you like
Add 1/2 cup vegetable oil and 2 eggs.
Mix.
Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a cookie sheet.
Bake according to any standard drop-cookie recipe, basically about 375 degreesF for 11 minutes.

You can add up to 1 1/2 cups of anything you want, like chips or nuts or chopped dried fruit.

I especially like a good butter-yellow cake mix with dark chocolate chips.

Or devils food cake mix with white chocolate chips.

Mix and match.  Have fun!  You can mix up cookies and have them in the oven in 10 minutes!

Bunbury22

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 11:16:50 AM »
i just made the snickerdoodles too!  They turned out great! Thanks for sharing the recipe...now I'm off to hide the rest!  >:D

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 01:58:21 PM »
i just made the snickerdoodles too!  They turned out great! Thanks for sharing the recipe...now I'm off to hide the rest!  >:D

They freeze amazingly well too!

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 02:04:07 PM »
Oatmeal Scotchies (taken from http://www.recipezaar.com)
Ingredients

* 1 1/4 cups unsifted flour
    * 1 teaspoon baking soda
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    * 1 cup butter, softened
    * 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
    * 3/4 cup granulated sugar
    * 2 eggs
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    * 3 cups Old-Fashioned Quaker oats
    * 1 (11 ounce) package Nestle Toll House butterscotch-flavored morsels (about 2 cups)

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
   2.Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a small bowl; set aside.
   3.Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
   4.Gradually beat in flour mixture.
   5.Stir in oats and morsels.
   6.Drop by rounded Tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet.
   7.Bake 7 to 8 minutes for chewy cookies, 9 to 10 minutes for crisp cookies.
   8.Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes, remove to wire racks to cool completely.
   9.Pan Cookie Variation: Grease 15x10-inch jelly-roll pan.
  10.Prepare dough as above.
  11.Spread in prepared pan.
  12.Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until lightly browned.
  13.Cool completely in pan on wire rack.

Mom used to send me back to college with a batch(a couple dozen) of these and a batch of chocolate chip cookies to share with my friends.

When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Sandi Papaya

• candelita
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2008, 06:52:19 PM »
I just made a batch of these today:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Moms-Island-Treasures/Detail.aspx

The recipe itself states that it yields 2 dozen, but I got a good 3-1/4 dozen out of it.

I made mine with whole-grain pastry flour and they came out unbelievably chewy and tender. The obscene amount of butter called for makes for a very soft-textured dough that does take a bit of time to bake thoroughly - I left them in for a few minutes longer than called for. All in all, though, it's an amazing recipe that I'll be making again. I'm invited over to Paul's to watch football and grill out with the guys tomorrow, and I think I'll be bringing these with me so someone else besides me can polish them off. ;D

petal

• Dancing Queen
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2008, 10:40:02 PM »
i put these biscuits/cookies in  Cookbook Project section but i dont think anyone has looked at them

they are absolutely delicious  and really easy to make

Peanut Butter & choc chip biscuits

Ingredients

* 1 cup (260g) crunchy peanut butter
    * 1 cup (200g) brown sugar
    * 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    * 1 egg, lightly beaten
    * 1 cup (185g) dark choc bits

Method

1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Lightly grease two baking trays and line with non-stick baking paper. Combine peanut butter, sugar, bicarbonate of soda and egg in a bowl. Stir in choc bits.
   2. Roll tablespoonfuls of the mixture into balls and place on the prepared tray. Press lightly with a fork. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until light golden. Leave to cool on the trays then place into an airtight container.

iradney

• DoSWMBO
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2008, 03:09:38 AM »
Vanilla Cinnamon Double Choc Chunk Cookies

2 1/4 cup cake flour
1 cup soft butter
3/4 cup brown sugar (I prefer treacle)
3/4 cup white sugar
1 large egg
1 tbsp vanilla
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 slab dark chocolate
1 slab light chocolate

Sift the dry ingredients together. Cream the butter and sugar, and add the egg. Mix well. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mix, stirring well. If it's a little too stiff, add a tiny amount of milk to loosen it up.

Either beat the slabs of chocolate, or run them through the blender so they're broken up into lovely chunky bits. Add to the dough and mix well.

Preheat oven to 200 deg Celcius (er...390 F??). Drop teaspoon sized blobs on a well greased baking sheet. Leave some space between the blobs as they do like to spread. Bake for about 10 minutes for chewy cookies, or about 13 minutes for crunchy cookies.

You get about...2 dozen or so cookies from this. If you really want to go into sugar shock, you could stick two cookies together with chocolate ganache:

Equal parts cream and chocolate. Heat the cream till it boils, then remove from heat. Break the chocolate into the cream and whisk till melted and mixed. Allow it to cool for a little, then spread on the bottom of a biscuit and slap another biscuit on the other side.

Can also use ganache for cupcake toppings, cake toppings and making your own truffles. (Just let it cool down till it's malleable, roll with your hands and dust with cocoa powder or coconut or whatever else takes your fancy)
“It is not who is right, but what is right, that is of importance.”
-Thomas Huxley

DaeOne

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2008, 03:32:03 PM »
Sinfully Rich, Chewy Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookies

4.5 cups plain flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1.5 cups butter, softened - I highly recommend Land O' Lakes

1.25 cups white sugar

1.75 cups brown sugar, firmly packed

2 eggs

2 tablespoons vanilla

1 12 oz. Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate chips

In large bowl, mix flour, baking powder and baking soda, set aside.

In seperate larger bowl, cream sugars with butter, add in egg and vanilla. Gradually stir in flour, blending well. Drop by your choice spoon/scoop size (I use a small ice cream scoop, about 3/4 full) onto ungreased cookie sheet, bake at 375 degrees for 10-14 minutes. Let stand on sheet for five minutes, transfer to cookie grid and let cool before storing.

kkl123

Re: Cookies -- sour cream kringla
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 07:27:51 PM »
Old recipe... this one is at least 75 years old...

2 c naturally soured cream
1.5 c sugar
4 egg yolks
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp baking soda
about 5 c all purpose flour

Mix together to form a soft dough --- it will be a little sticky, and the handling improves if you chill it for an hour or so. Roll the dough into strips a little thicker than a pencil, twist into figure 8s and place on a greased baking sheet -- it should be a shiny sheet, not a dark one.  Bake at 400 degrees until barely starting to color, about 6 to 8 minutes.

This is a very pale cookie, but I also enjoy them just a bit browner... some complex caramel flavors start to form.  I also add 1 tsp almond extract to mine, which would horrify the lady who gave the recipe to my grandmother.

Makes a good pairing with divinity... the yolks go in the kringla, the whites in the divinity.

Girly

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2008, 03:19:20 PM »

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies

* 2 ¼ Cups Flour
    * 1 tsp Salt
    * 1 tsp Baking Soda
    * 2 Sticks Butter, Softened
    * 1 Cup Sugar
    * 1 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
    * 2 Large Eggs
    * 1 Tbsp Vanilla
    * ½ Cup Cocoa
    * 2 Cups Chocolate Chips

1. Preheat Oven to 375°
         2. Combine flour, salt, and baking soda in one bowl
         3. In second bowl, combine butter, both sugars, eggs, vanilla and cocoa
         4. Gradually stir in flour mixture and mix until well combined
         5. Stir in chocolate chips

+ For Cookies – Bake about 10 minutes
                + For Bars – use 9”square baking pan and bake about  20-25 minutes