Author Topic: Mother's Day rudeness...  (Read 19978 times)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
Re: Mother's Day rudeness...
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2012, 12:05:46 PM »
But Mother's Day is always on Sunday.  Just because the purpose of the closure is not MD, doesn't mean they don't have a right to celebrate it. 

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2012, 12:12:08 PM »
But Mother's Day is always on Sunday.  Just because the purpose of the closure is not MD, doesn't mean they don't have a right to celebrate it.

Right.  But the store's stance had zero to do with Mother's Day.  That was the customer's issue.  What the store owner's and employees do on their day off is not relevant or appropriate to bring up to a customer discussing business practices.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2012, 12:58:58 PM »

Right.  But the store's stance had zero to do with Mother's Day.  That was the customer's issue.  What the store owner's and employees do on their day off is not relevant or appropriate to bring up to a customer discussing business practices.

I think you're right, and that would have been the end of it IF the customer hadn't been so bullheaded.  The OP was almost required to go the "We celebrate Mother's Day, too" route.  The customer wasn't backing off, so in order to end the discussion, he played the card he had left.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2012, 01:07:59 PM »

I think you're right, and that would have been the end of it IF the customer hadn't been so bullheaded.  The OP was almost required to go the "We celebrate Mother's Day, too" route.  The customer wasn't backing off, so in order to end the discussion, he played the card he had left.

Well he had 1 more card he didn't play. He could have gotten the owner/manager (as the customer requested), and let them handle it. To me that would have been appropriate business protocol for an inexperienced part time employee dealing with an irate cstomer. Humilating and publicly dressing down the irate customer does not enter into my mental file of "ok behavior by an employee".

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 01:09:37 PM by WillyNilly »

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2012, 01:17:18 PM »

You explained so much better than me.

Dr_Manners

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2012, 09:39:54 AM »

Well he had 1 more card he didn't play. He could have gotten the owner/manager (as the customer requested), and let them handle it. To me that would have been appropriate business protocol for an inexperienced part time employee dealing with an irate cstomer. Humilating and publicly dressing down the irate customer does not enter into my mental file of "ok behavior by an employee".
Hi, OP here...

You are right that what I did was not appropriate business protocol.  And, had it been any other business but one owned by my mother (in which I was raised), I probably would have just gotten the owner and been done with it.  However, knowing the store, the policies, the employees, and the owner like I do, I didn't feel it was necessary.

Regardless of the business, or whether it is family owned or not, a customer demanding to see the owner does not always mean that the owner needs to be brought out.  In my experience, most customers demand a manager/owner when they think the employee in front of them doesn't know what they are doing, or they are trying to get the employee in trouble.  At my mother's store, 99% of the time she had to be brought out front to handle a customer complaint she simply reminded the customer that the employee was right, and went back to her work.