Author Topic: Soooo...what brings you here? :-) *How you found this wonderful forum*  (Read 4038 times)

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
I don't know if this thread should be in Life in General, if the mods think this belongs somewhere else by all means move it...thank you.  :)

I was enjoying this thread about how people chose their ehell handles, and got to wondering about how people ended up here to begin with. Some people are clearly veterans, having been part of the forum when it had a different name etc. over 5 yrs ago (I am not that familiar with the forum's history/evolution).

Interesting "how we met"/"how 'x' happened" stories are always enjoyable, especially ones that involve peculiar incidents of synchronicity. Does anyone have an interesting story about how they found ehell? Perhaps what real life incident finally drove you to type "etiquette" into a search engine? ;) Did someone ever point you to this site/forum in light of your own words or actions?

As for myself: I originally found ehell after I checked out Jeanne's book from the library. My BFF had been going to several weddings of family and friends and coming back with horror stories of various magnitudes. I have never actually been to a wedding so I didn't know how to respond to her when she asked for my opinion. When she described some of her relatives behavior - it seemed rude but I didn't know if it technically was rude, or just an example of personal family drama. I couldn't tell if she was justifiably mad about what she experienced because I didn't know the protocol that may or may not have been breached.

When I am interested and/or confused about something, my first response is to look it up at the library and learn more about it. So I looked up "wedding etiquette" and suffice to say a book entitled "Wedding Etiquette Hell" does catch your attention! ;D

I've always enjoyed reading advice columns like Miss Manners, and sometimes it feels like people do seem to be ruder or more clueless these days...not to mention the new etiquette frontiers that evolving technologies have opened up. I love learning about how to be a better person, and how to deal with people who are being less than they could be.

What about you guys? What brought you here, and what did you like about this place that kept you coming around?  ;D

Edited to fix tags-Ticia
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 08:58:07 PM by Ticia »
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
Re: Soooo...what brings you here? :-) *How you found this wonderful forum*
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 09:01:48 PM »

I found it by accident through snopes.
Stewart/Colbert '16

JamFly

• A fly made of jam? Ridiculous!
  • Any etiquette for a tiny elephant on a trampoline?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 09:11:09 PM »
I found the main site one summer bored via stumble upon ( I think). I checked back for a new site update much later, found that the site had a forum too. But it was the old forum,  which had a format I hated so I didn't join it or anything. Maybe a year later, I was checking the main site for an update and decided to check the forum again and found that it was moved to the lovely version we have now, so I lurked around a bit on and off (mostly off) for a long while, before finally joining when I was 17 and in my final year of high school.

In my list of things I'd do if I ever was sent back in time, joining the forum much earlier and reading it way more often would be on there. I think Middle school and High School me would have benefited a lot.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 09:25:58 PM »
You know, I don't remember. It was that long ago.

A recommendation or mention from an article? No idea.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 10:12:26 PM »
I was surfing one day, and I cant remember what site I was on. It was advice columns or something of that nature. Well over on the right hand side, was a link to the main E-hell page. I poked around on it and read a whole lot of the wedding posts. I then discovered that there was a forum! I like forums, and I like being polite (or trying to be anyway), so I lurked here for a while. I saw some posts that I would like to put my .02 in, so I joined, and here I am!  :)

flowersintheattic

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 11:35:55 PM »
I found the archives through the comments on (Oo, I just used a rude phrase that the moderators won't be happy about. ), Parents. Someone posted a link to the Everyday Rugrats section, and I ended up spending way more time than was probably reasonable reading every single story in the archives. That led to the blog, and then I found the forum through that.
...I learned my lesson / And yes, I still remember the last one / But this time will be different / Until I do it again... ~Phish, "Kill Devil Falls"

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 11:36:28 PM »
If I recall, I was looking at the Ugly Bridesmaid Dresses site, and there was a blurb for Ehell off to the right.  I clicked it, came to a ton of stories, and the rest is history :)

Jelaza

• Meow
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 11:42:27 PM »
Someone on another message board I belong to linked to one of the threads here.  IIRC, I think it was either an NG story or a Nichole story.  So, I had to go back and read all the previous stories about whichever girl it was, and also happened across the other girl's stories, and it just spiraled out from there.  I read a lot more than I post.

Aggiesque

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 11:44:46 PM »
'Da book :)
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 11:59:40 PM »
It's been so long, and in its other incarnation, that I don't remember how I found it.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 05:14:14 AM »
One of my bridesmaids could not stop arguing about what they were going to wear. I was very easy on them - I bought a dress pattern after they had a vote on a few, bought the silk and paid for the dresses to be made, didn't care what shoes they wore etc. But she didn't not seem happy with anything. So I googled images of really horrible bridesmaids dresses and found the dress incinerator on the old site.

I have to say a link to that solved the arguing problem and I found Ehell.
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

Hazmat

• This Veteran is heavily medicated for your protection
  • How can I miss you if you won't go away?
    • Chronus Is Latin For Time
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 05:39:22 AM »
I don't remember how I found the main site 8 or 10 years ago. I read through the stories and came back every 6 months for new ones.  3 or 4 years ago I started reading the forums, and I registered on 01/01/11.
A guest is a jewel on the cushion of hospitality. -Nero Wolfe

Indiana

southern girl

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 06:59:55 AM »
I was reading a different forum (not an etiquette one) and one of the members said she had been banned from this one.  I came here to check it out and have now dropped the other forum and only read this one.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 07:46:07 AM »
I don't remember how I found the main site 8 or 10 years ago. I read through the stories and came back every 6 months for new ones.  3 or 4 years ago I started reading the forums, and I registered on 01/01/11.

The bolded, exactly.

TheVapors

• Oh my! I should lay down...
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 08:14:58 AM »
I'm newly registered, but I'd been lurking for a while.

The site was mentioned on a (different) forum that a frequent about a year ago. I've been interested in etiquette for many years, so I absolutely had to check out a site called Etiquette Hell.

I spent a lot of time lurking and reading, and finally figured "Why not just register and participate?" So, here I am.