Author Topic: Fitness boot camp - anyone tried it?  (Read 644 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Fitness boot camp - anyone tried it?
« on: January 21, 2012, 12:20:05 PM »
So Groupon has a great deal for a local fitness boot camp - as in like 75% off.  I like it because its different, its affordable, and the schedule is good; its  drop in, so that works for me with my two jobs.

My fear; I am the epitome of 40-something, fat and out of shape. As in about 50+ lbs overweight and do not exercise at all.  Also with bad knees and a bad back.  I am afraid I won't be able to do much of what they do, although all online reviews are glowing, and several say they work with ALL fitness levels.  But I'm, sick of being fat and want to change.

So, anyone done this type of workout, and if so, how in shape were you when you started?  Did you like it, or hate it?  And how does it compare to simply going to the gym, doing cardio and weights.  part of me says they are professionals, and will work within my limitations, and also you never know what you can do until you try.  But the other part is afraid i will sign up, and be unable to do any of it.  Although I ahve until July to activate, THEN 2 months from that to use it. (I get 10 or 20 sessions for x amount)

The one thing that made me laugh is they have a video on their website, and one of the 'stations" is climbing a rope.  Which gives me flashbacks to jr. high gym, and the presidential fitness challenge, and that was one of the things we had to do.  Sadly, I couldn't make it up at all. 

MOM21SON

Re: Fitness boot camp - anyone tried it?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 05:59:01 PM »
I have never done a boot camp, but my old gym offered them.  I did get to speak to the instuctors and from what they said, it was not something I could do.  I needed to get in some type of shape first.  So, I have been working on that and hope to do boot
camp in the future.

JoW

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 06:46:31 PM »
Boot Camp classes are ultra-intense.  They claim to mimic Marine or Army boot camp workouts - intense even for the 20-something year old men who do them.  I am fat and over 50 and I wouldn't attempt one. 

I suggest starting with a class designed for your age group and your current level of fitness. 

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 09:44:33 PM »
I've been to several boot camp style classes, and boot camp.... so here is my take on it.

It all depends on the instructor and the participants of the class. I've been to ones offered at the base gym that made me laugh at the amount of hype they were given. It was tailored to fit the people at the lowest level, but you would get yelled at if you weren't breaking up a sweat... So I tried the advanced class on base. It wasn't much better. They managed to throw half pushups and jumping jacks into the class... that is about it.

Our gym in town is pretty good. Positive yelling/encouragement, challenging enough to be good for everyone, and they work really well around injuries and limitations.

The ones in Afghanistan were INSANE... Fun, but oh dear sweet monkey fritters would it feel like you got ran over by an AMRAAM. Rucksack pushups, squats and sprints, plank wars... good times.

So, I would visit a class or two to get a feel for it, and don't go to any in Afghanistan. Those ones are painful.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 02:01:30 AM »
I have done something similar when I was relatively fit and it was killer.  If you don't normally exercise, try something less intense.  An hour on the treadmill or swimming will have great results.  Besides, I got shin splints from the programme I took.  Not fun.  Never again.

dietcokeofevil

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 02:26:07 AM »
My husband - who is overweight and not terribly active - has been going for a few months and loves it.  Sounds like the same kind of deal.  He got a great price on a groupon to start and it is a drop in type thing.  The instructor has 2 or 3 classes a day to choose from. 

Prior to going to the boot camp, DH was working out at the gym and using a personal trainer periodically.  Boot camp was cheaper and more effective.

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 02:44:07 AM »
I did a hard-core outdoor fitness boot camp for women only that met daily from 5:30 - 6:30 a.m five days per week for four weeks with a friend.  The pre-dawn wake-up was almost as painful as the workouts.  I consider myself to be pretty physically fit (particularly for my age) and I felt like a sweaty rag at the end of the hour most days.  They did specify that no participant would go home feeling unchallenged.  I sure didn't.

The program itself was cool.  It had kickboxing, strength training, running stairs, obstacle course, aerobics, Pilates-type core work, and yoga.  Many of us who were in an exercise rut really liked the mix of routines, and the group class structure worked well for those who were not good at self-motivation.

If you are not currently a regular exerciser, this type of program may not necessarily be wrong for you though - I'd be asking some specific questions about how they work with participants who are unable to keep up with the group or finish a set.  They may be very adept at modifying exercises to make them easier for the less-fit and they may structure things so that it's not obvious who is ahead and who is behind.