Author Topic: Oh Deer!  (Read 695 times)

One Fish, Two Fish

Oh Deer!
« on: January 21, 2012, 10:28:12 AM »
I've just received a 10 packages of ground deer meat (I'm friends with a hunter who has an overflowing freezer).  Before this, I hadn't eaten venison in many years.   It's frozen in 1 1/2lb packages.  I thawed the first package overnight in the refrigerator, and I browned it.  It tastes similar to very, very lean hamburger.  After some thought, I decided to make chili with it.  Any suggestions of what I can do with the rest of it?
I'll get there.  Eventually.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
Re: Oh Deer!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 11:32:22 AM »
I like it browned and crumbled on pizza, myself, but it also makes decent meatloaf(mix it with a fattier meat, like lamb or pork), or any other lean meat application you might like.
I haven't ever done it, but I bet it'd make an awesome substitute in Shepherd's Pie(it'd make it Hunter's Pie!).
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 12:08:10 PM »
Use it the way you would use hamburger- it makes lovely burgers (especialy with a little salad and red onion marmalade and/or redcurrant jelly)

I've made some nice stews and curries with diced venison, but they might not work with ground venison.
NE England

Aggiesque

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 05:35:20 PM »
taco, burrito filing, cassarole- anything you'd use ground bef in!
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 06:04:12 PM »
I agree; anywhere you use extra lean ground beef, you can substitute the ground venison.  You will probably have to mix it with some pork or beef for burgers or meatloaf or they'll be a bit dry.

I'd use it in spaghetti sauce, as well as the chilli.  It would probably be good in the lazy cabbage rolls recipe I posted in this folder, too.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

SheltieMom

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 11:17:48 PM »
Try adding a little fajita marinaden and then making burgers. They won't be as dry. My husband makes a great venison chili, but he doesn't have a real recipe.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 05:01:04 AM »
I've just received a 10 packages of ground deer meat (I'm friends with a hunter who has an overflowing freezer).  Before this, I hadn't eaten venison in many years.   It's frozen in 1 1/2lb packages.  I thawed the first package overnight in the refrigerator, and I browned it.  It tastes similar to very, very lean hamburger.  After some thought, I decided to make chili with it.  Any suggestions of what I can do with the rest of it?

Do you ship by UPS or FedEx?   ;D