Author Topic: Vegetarian/Pescetarian Dinner Party Challenge  (Read 2709 times)

QueenofAllThings

Vegetarian/Pescetarian Dinner Party Challenge
« on: January 22, 2012, 01:34:39 PM »
So here's the challenge -

Dinner party next weekend for 7 people.
- Dishes must be vegetarian or pescetarian. Can be shellfish or sole, but no other fish is acceptable (the King is fussy). Salmon is absolutely forbidden.
- It must be relatively easy to prepare (I'm a talented cook, but don't want to spend two days in the kitchen) and not require that I spend 40 minutes over the stove while my guests are in the other room.
- It must be sufficiently 'formal' - the King will absolutely veto my vegetarian chilis, etc.
- It must be hearty enough for a winter dinner (a salad and small mushroom tart, while yummy, won't cut it here)

I am fresh out of ideas - I could just slap a lobster on everyone's plate, but don't really want to take out a second mortgage for this meal.

Help!

*Modified because I hit Send too soon*
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 01:39:30 PM by QueenofAllThings »

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Vegetarian/Pescetarian Dinner Party Challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 01:51:32 PM »
here is my idea (i have never eaten or prepared shell fish - i keep kosher at home - so i am skipping that).

hearty bean/veg soup
sole rolled up with asparagus (like this, i've never made it but i have tasted it), can serve with mushroom sauce.
wild rice or  brown rice or couscous
brocolli spears, steamed, sprinkled with almonds and/or roast peppers (different colors), peeled, drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice.
big tossed salad
something decadent for dessert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 02:25:12 PM »
So soups and stews are forbidden as not being formal enough?  Sad.  My initial thought was a big hearty potato soup with tons of fresh crusty bread and butter and a big salad. 

What about a vegetable gratin of some sort?  Something like this: http://www.theveggietable.com/recipes/grilledvegetablegratin.html, only maybe without eggplants since they seem to take up the majority of prep time.  You could substitute potatoes or another hearty veggie. 

There's always something like pasta and lobster in a cream sauce; much less lobster needed if you're chopping it up and adding it into something. 

Miriam

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 02:27:48 PM »
Try looking at Chefchloe.com. Her things are mainly Vegan, but that's leaves room to be creative with whatever protein you plan to use! they are so delicious and inexpensive. Her recipes range from noodles, tacos, to traditional Jewish dishes, and her Cupcake Wars winning tiramasu cupcakes.
"All Was Well"

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 02:39:28 PM »
Oh, and one more thing - no pasta.

Two of our dinner guests own a pasta company. I could serve it, and they'd be polite, but they're a little pasta'd out.

UpdatedName

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 02:40:26 PM »
Are you having courses? Potato and leek soup is a great starter if you are. How about a veggie risotto?

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 02:47:42 PM »
I will do three courses - starter, entree, dessert. I'd love to do risotto, but don't want to be standing over the stove for 45 minutes keeping an eye on it

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 02:54:03 PM »
There is a recipe for apple brie quiche in the recipe folder.  I think it would be a really good starter.  Use a really tart apple and a good quality brie.

I also posted a recipe for a wild rice salad that is really good, too.

I like the suggestion for the sole wrapped around asparagus.  That sounds yummy.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 05:03:02 PM »
I will do three courses - starter, entree, dessert. I'd love to do risotto, but don't want to be standing over the stove for 45 minutes keeping an eye on it

I did a butternutsquash risotto on Friday. It took 20 minutes. Is that still too long? If so a baked pasta dish might be good. I do a three mushroom pasta in creme fraiche for this kind of event.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 05:46:08 PM »
Spanakopita -- I've never made it from scratch. I usually buy the prepared appetizers.

Here's a recipe that sounds like it could work for the main dish and you can prepare it in advance: http://greekfood.about.com/od/pansizedpies/r/Spinach-Pie-With-Feta-Spanakopita.htm (although I don't know all the rules behind vegetarian or pescetarian dishes . . . maybe I'm off base here.)

Along with that a side of wild rice. I make mine with pea pods and water chestnuts. I usually boil the rice with chicken broth (instead of water) but you can use a vegetable broth instead.

Add a nice salad (like a Waldorf salad http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/waldorf_salad/) which has the nuts and fruits) and you have your main course.

For a starter -- I don't see anything wrong with a cup of a hearty soup. How about a deliciously thick clam or corn chowder? Served with fresh bread.

Dessert? Your on your own! ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 05:55:20 PM by jpcher »

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 06:02:41 PM »

Do you have a pressure cooker?  Because I have found a couple of recipes for pressure cooker risotto that turn out fabulous.  And the timing is great for a party.  All the ingredients in the pot, then turn it on about 25 min before you want to serve. 

Or how about an Indian theme with a curry as your main?  You could have samosas as a starter and even offer two kinds with one being beef if you think the meat e aters would want the option.

How do you feel about puff pastry?  You could do a veg and cheese mixture and create puff pastry pockets.  With roasted asparagus, it looks very nice on a plate.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 06:17:21 PM »

shrimp bruschetta , a variety of brushetta and/or a bread and dips course.

individual vegetarian moussaka(this just tastes like fall and winter to me) with Greek salad or tomatoes stuffed with cucumber salad

anything for dessert.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 08:26:25 AM »
Shrimp stir fry?

I have a recipe for acorn squash stuffed with apple almond-cherry basmati pilaf that is vegetarian and pretty good. Acorn squash can be stuffed with a variety of different things.

Vegetarian curry?

Stuffed eggplant?
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Stirling

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 10:40:58 AM »
How about some type of fisherman's pie.  It's like a shepards pie, but made with seafood rather than beef/lamb.   

mandycorn

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 10:43:16 AM »
I haven't tried this baked Eggplant Parmesan recipe yet, but it looks delicious.  http://www.marthastewart.com/313564/baked-eggplant-parmesan?center=852566&gallery=275563&slide=261802

I bought all the ingredients to make it this week, so I can come back and update when I do.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln