Author Topic: "Hard" fudge... someone has to know what this is!  (Read 7549 times)

Casey

"Hard" fudge... someone has to know what this is!
« on: July 31, 2007, 10:59:17 PM »
When I was little, my grandmother used to make "hard" fudge. Normal fudge, the kind you can cut with the little plastic knives from the store, is "soft". Hers was hard, almost as hard as the chocolate from a king-sized Hershey bar. :D

It was hard and grainy, and I loved it. 8) So did the rest of the family, but she never had a recipe. Far as I know, she took what she knew of it to the grave. :'(

Any ideas? Has anyone ever done this? She was German, so I've thought maybe it's a German idea, but nothing's ever turned up. I've looked for more than a decade and can't find a shop or fudge maker anywhere who makes it.

Thanks in advance!

kkl123

Re: "Hard" fudge... someone has to know what this is!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 11:42:06 PM »
When I was little, my grandmother used to make "hard" fudge. Normal fudge, the kind you can cut with the little plastic knives from the store, is "soft". Hers was hard, almost as hard as the chocolate from a king-sized Hershey bar. :D

It was hard and grainy, and I loved it. 8) So did the rest of the family, but she never had a recipe. Far as I know, she took what she knew of it to the grave. :'(

Have you tried just overcooking plain fudge, and not beating it very much?

bluhairfreak

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 11:54:35 PM »
I think I know what you mean.  My father makes it sometimes, although we always have to beg for it.
(yes I need to steal the recipe from him)

altoidsaddict

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 01:59:22 AM »
My mom makes this from my great-great-grandmother's recipe! If it matters, the great-great-grandmother came from a German family as well.

The answer I found on the Internet (caveat: I've never made fudge of any texture) is that the recipes for soft and hard fudge are the same, but hard fudge is boiled longer. This allows the sugar to crystallize and form a hard bond with the rest of the ingredients. Keep watch over the fudge to make sure it doesn't go too far in the grainy direction, or it will fall apart; this shouldn't be too long past that soft stage. Since you won't know until it cools and hardens, you may have to experiment a few times.

Let us know how it goes recreating the texture!

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 12:28:42 PM »
see if you can find the "settlement cook book" . i had that when i was young, unfortunately it disappeared. it had all the old fashioned, cook from scratch recipes in it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 01:03:26 PM »
Any ideas? Has anyone ever done this? She was German, so I've thought maybe it's a German idea, but nothing's ever turned up. I've looked for more than a decade and can't find a shop or fudge maker anywhere who makes it.

Sounds like what I call 'tablet'. Over-boiled. Fabulous stuff!
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usrecipes/scottishtablet/

Casey

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 01:27:41 PM »

I think I've found it... could it be so simple as 250 for a temp instead of 234? Today, I find out!

Xanthia, Maker of fine Tin-foil hats since 2007

• Xanthia the Great
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 01:32:13 PM »

I think I've found it... could it be so simple as 250 for a temp instead of 234? Today, I find out!

That can indeed be it.  Also, Hersheys CoCo powder used to hav a fudge recipe that was harder and more grainy than "regular" fudge... I have the recipe in an old clippings book my mom made, it is still my favorite.

Now if only my PawPaw had not taken his Peanut butter fudge recipe to the grave... SIGH

Casey

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 03:21:00 PM »
Straight peanut butter fudge, or peanut butter-chocolate?

Here's a good PB one- http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_26074,00.html

• Xanthia the Great
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 03:29:27 PM »
Straight peanut butter fudge, or peanut butter-chocolate?

Here's a good PB one- http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_26074,00.html

That looks good, I am going to try it.  His was also the "hard" grainy fudge that was just so darn yummy!

Casey

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 03:59:53 PM »
I found a recipe for hard fudge. Tried it out, omitting the peanut butter they so strangely included, and... it's as if fifteen years are gone. My grandma's back! :D

If anyone would like it, I can send it around- not sure we're allowed to post them in the clear.

• Xanthia the Great
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 04:27:37 PM »
I found a recipe for hard fudge. Tried it out, omitting the peanut butter they so strangely included, and... it's as if fifteen years are gone. My grandma's back! :D

If anyone would like it, I can send it around- not sure we're allowed to post them in the clear.

SEND IT!!!!

Lynda_34

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 05:57:39 PM »
Post it.
I remember a wonderful fudge recipe from a dear friend Martha, she doubled the butter, it was so good, but I don't know the rest of the recipe.  Oh how I miss Martha,

Casey

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 06:24:28 PM »
Consider it sent. Seeing as how some of these may be published, as per the sticky, I wouldn't feel right posting one up that wasn't mine- even if I did tweak it (as I did).

AngelicGamer

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 04:14:07 AM »

Hey Casey, could you send it to me as well?  I'd like to try making fudge and hard fudge just sounds too tasty for words!

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.