Author Topic: How much ground beef to make?  (Read 4757 times)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
How much ground beef to make?
« on: January 23, 2012, 12:41:10 PM »

My department has decided to have a taco day tomorrow, and since i have a nifty crock pot in which to keep it warm i volnteered to make the ground beef. I am just not sure how much to make. Someone else is making ground turkey, so we'll have 2 different kinds of meat, and there are about 20 people currently in the department. I am thinking i ought to make enough for 20 - i know my team, we can eat :) By adjusting a recipe on Allrepies.com i figured anywhere from 5-6.5 pounds. That is a lot of variation, and the recipe did not get good reviews. Does 5 pounds sound about right? It sounds like quite a lot to me; but i am terrible at judging portions.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Only me

Re: How much ground beef to make?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 01:03:54 PM »
HI

So I went online to "Old Elpaso" website and it was showing recipes for 1lb ground beef to make 12 taco servings. So you might want to reconsider 5 lbs.  ;D Unless of course you would like to cook future left overs for yourself.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/double-layer-tacos/b3afd54d-eecd-4f10-a74d-5144e887b1a9

Good luck, Onlyme

CakeBeret

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 01:07:28 PM »
I like to account for 1/3 to 1/2 pound of meat per person. But, I come from a family of big eaters. ;)

Since another person is bringing ground turkey, I would account for 1/4 lb of meat per person and thus bring 5lb.

Onlyme, I would say 1lb meat makes 12 single tacos, and not overly full either. In my extended family, that would be enough for 3 people, max. :)
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 01:50:31 PM »
i would say 2-3 pounds.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 03:01:07 PM »
I would estimate a third to fourth pund per person and since another type is being brought go with the fourth so 5 pounds.  We find a pound of uncooked meat is enough to fill a third way of 10 traditional size crispy taco shells.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 05:19:39 PM »

Thanks, y'all. Like i said, i am terrible at gauging portions. Las time i made fried eggplant it not only fed Gish and me, but my entire team the next day, too. :) At least i am getting better at the actual cooking part.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem