Author Topic: Brownies with Coffee?  (Read 867 times)

RobinJ

Brownies with Coffee?
« on: January 25, 2012, 11:03:37 AM »
I need to bake brownies for this Friday afternoon.  I've read that coffee enhances the chocolate flavor and want to incorporate that as an ingredient.  Has anyone here ever done that and have a good recipe they'd like to share?  At home, I have instant coffee single packs (not sure why) and a Keurig with about 6 different types of coffee.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Brownies with Coffee?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 03:03:07 PM »
Ina Garten has a recipe on Foodnetwork for outrageous brownies that is really good and rich. 

Miriam

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 03:38:54 PM »
Yes! Well, not coffee exactly but espresso powder. It is truly amazing, depending how strong you want the flavor just start small with a teaspoon. Since I love that flavor, I'm a full blown table spoon or two.
"All Was Well"

magicdomino

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 03:42:07 PM »
If the recipe calls for water or milk, you can substitute strong coffee.  Otherwise, expresso powder works well.  I got my supply from King Arthur Flour, but I believe there is a brand sold with the regular instant coffees in grocery stores.

Which reminds me, I should bake up a batch of cinnamon mocha cupcakes.  I haven't made them in years.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 03:47:38 PM »
If the recipe calls for water or milk, you can substitute strong coffee.  Otherwise, expresso powder works well.  I got my supply from King Arthur Flour, but I believe there is a brand sold with the regular instant coffees in grocery stores.

Which reminds me, I should bake up a batch of cinnamon mocha cupcakes.  I haven't made them in years.

recipe please!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 09:46:05 PM »
I second that request.

You can also try adding Kahlua to the batter.

magicdomino

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 11:08:08 AM »
Cinnamon Mocha Cupcakes

1 3/4 cups flour
teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
cup cocoa
1 cup sugar
cup shortening
2/3 cup buttermilk
cup cooled strong coffee
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Sift dry ingredients together.  Add shortening, 1/3 cup buttermilk, and the coffee.  Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes until batter is well-blended and glossy.  Add the other 1/3 cup of buttermilk, the eggs, and vanilla.  Beat another 2 minutes.

Fill muffin pans 2/3 full.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 11:10:21 AM »
Can I substitute regular (skim) milk for the buttermilk?  I wouldn't use it in anything else so I'd be wasting quite a bit.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

magicdomino

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 11:14:03 AM »
Can I substitute regular (skim) milk for the buttermilk?  I wouldn't use it in anything else so I'd be wasting quite a bit.

Only if you add a little vinegar or lemon juice to the milk -- I think it is a tablespoon of vinegar to a cup of milk, but you might want to Google it, just in case.  The recipe requires the acid to rise.  It might work to use all baking powder instead of powder and soda, but I've never tried it.  Cakes can be picky.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 11:15:26 AM »
Gotcha.  I vaguely remembered my mother telling me to add vinegar to regular milk to sub for buttermilk - I'll look it up!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 11:22:43 AM »
I looked it up. 

Put one tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice in a 1 cup measure and fill to the line with milk.  Let stand 5 minutes.

So for 2/3, I'll use 2 teaspoons and top up to the 2/3 mark.

I think I'm going to make these to bring into work on Valentine's day.  Does the recipe make 12?  So I should probably double it?
Ontario

magicdomino

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 11:39:44 AM »
Recipe says 18 cupcakes, but I think that might be off.  My mother used to double the recipe, wrap the individual cupcakes in plastic and put them in the freezer.  Then she would put the frozen cupcakes in my lunches for school.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 01:56:44 PM »
What do you think about frosting them with Betty Crocker Cream Cheese Frosting?  That's what I have in the cupboard...
Ontario

magicdomino

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 09:02:38 PM »
I grew up eating these cupcakes without any frosting at all, but must admit that they aren't quite rich enough to get away with that for most people's tastes.  I'm not sure about cream cheese frosting.  You already have cocoa, cinnamon, and coffee flavors; adding cream cheese flavor might be a bit much.  The recipe calls for plain vanilla frosting, although an expresso-flavored ganache would be excellent.