Author Topic: Nun's Sauce  (Read 828 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Nun's Sauce
« on: January 25, 2012, 11:33:56 AM »
Years ago, a local Mexican restaurant featured a scrumptious dish of chicken cooked in a mild but very flavorful brown sauce.  It may have contained some chocolate but it was not a mole.

Once, and only once, I found a jar of something called 'Nun's Sauce' that came close. 

I have seen recipes labeled 'Nun's Sauce'.  These are interesting but they are of British origin and are relish-like concoctions more suitable to roasts than to chicken cutlets. 

Any ideas, anyone?

Msunderstatement

Re: Nun's Sauce
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 12:35:03 PM »
Maybe you had mole (pronounced "mo-lay"). If it was, don't settle for the jarred ones.
I'm not lost -- just taking the scenic route!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 12:55:37 PM »
Thank you, Msunderstatement. 

The pronunciation of the sauce IS mo-lay but the sauce I'm talking about isn't that at all.  We know mole and don't particularly care for it.  It can be heavy.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 01:04:36 PM »
Hmm,

The only other thing I can find is this recipe for Sauce a la Nonette (see pages 40-41).

It doesn't sound exactly like what you had, just a simple brown sauce with a veal/ham and mushroom base, but I hope it's closer :)
Utah

Msunderstatement

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 01:09:29 PM »
There's a story that mole was invented by a nun, as well.
Have you seen this recipe?

http://www.cookipedia.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Category:Dips_and_sauces

It sound delicious.

I'm not lost -- just taking the scenic route!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 02:40:28 PM »
Thank you both.

The recipes you suggested don't sound quite right for what I remembered but they're certainly worth trying.  Mr. Thipu may be getting some interesting food in February.   

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 02:59:04 PM »
It could have been a different style of mole since I believe there are 8 or 9 distinct ones.  I am not a real fan of Mole Poblano which is the most common, I do like Mole Negro from the Oxaca region.  But from what I remember, Mole Negro requires a special plant that I would think could be hard to get in other areas.