Author Topic: Can't decide what to serve for my son confirmation party  (Read 3376 times)

POF

Can't decide what to serve for my son confirmation party
« on: January 25, 2012, 09:52:06 PM »
DS14 will be confirmed in late March. Service is at 4:00, party after will be at 6:00.

About 14 - 16 guests, no allergies or special diets.

I really do not want to cook - or - I'd like to have something that I would have prepared in advance and then serve.

I was thinking of having a premade ( from a deli or cater ) baked pasta dish that I oculd heat up, big salad, order a variety of pizzas and have some appetizers. Plus cake.

DH suggested sandwich trays , cold salads, appies and dessert.  - I don't think that is "nice" enough for dinner. I'd do it for lunch though.

Any thoughts or ideas ... I am at a complete loss ! ( Note - most people will be coming to the dinner - not to the church - which is typical in our family - so no one will be really dressed up and managing pizza)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Re: Can't decide what to serve for my son confirmation party
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 09:55:49 PM »
I think your idea is more than fine.  :) Congrats to your son on his confirmation!
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 10:10:18 PM »
pulled pork in a roaster?

ETA: when I think of confirmation I think of this chicken recipe.  We call it Lutheran Chicken.

You just pretty much cover each piece with Lowry's seasoning salt. Put the pieces on a jelly
roll pan ( so the juices to not drip in the oven) and bake it for probably about 20 minutes
so it is is partially done at about hmmm 375. I do it the night before and put it in a roaster in the refrigerator
and the next day plug it in. Like at 325 - how long hmmmm - I do it for a few hours.
I know - that is clear as mud but I really have no idea where the original recipe is. The bottom
line is --- it is good!!

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:15:19 PM by Sharnita »

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 04:35:51 AM »
either idea is fine, but for this type of party *I* prefer to have something hot - it makes it more festive.

is pasta and pizza enough for your guests? for my family/friends i would add something with meat/chicken (there are plenty of easy/make-in-advance recipes out there) but that's us.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 09:30:10 AM »
I would probably skip the pizza and go with the pre-made ziti, mac n cheese, lasagna, sausage and peppers, eggplant parmesan, etc. Pizza is hard to manage for a group (for me, anyway - all those big boxes), hard to keep warm, and probably more expensive than the big trays. How about an antipasto platter?

POF

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 10:42:57 AM »
Thanks everyone for the great ideas.

I can't go premade lasagana ... because I usually serve my takes all day special lasagna for XMAS. There would seriously be a riot if I served another type !

Everyone pretty much enjoys pizza, and I thought a pan of baked pasta would suffice for the ones who don't.  ( For example my 90 year old MIL - always likes us to take her out for pizza when we visit ).

The appetizers would be hearty:

Taco Dip, Calzones ( from a great bakery served in pieces ), stuffed mushrooms, antipasto composed salad, variety of dips / chips. ( all ready to toss in the oven / serve when we get home )

it seems a little informal for a confirmation party ...... and thats why I am debating the pizza.

Well I have 2 months .... so I am open to any ideas of anything to make ahead. Thanks

Nibsey

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 11:07:19 AM »
For my confirmation, many moons ago. Mom made a huge pot of chicken casserole/in a white wine sauce. That she could reheat when we got back from church and she served it with big bowls of salad and fresh bread. It seems to have gone down well.
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 01:52:02 PM »
Pasta casseroles are always my go to dish when needing to pre-make.  I'll usually do a Italian sausage and mushrooms in a pinks sauce and a chicken and asparagus casserole. 

Have an antipasta platter made up in the fridge that you just need to take out when you get home. 

POF

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 02:02:11 PM »
Pasta casseroles are always my go to dish when needing to pre-make.  I'll usually do a Italian sausage and mushrooms in a pinks sauce and a chicken and asparagus casserole. 

Have an antipasta platter made up in the fridge that you just need to take out when you get home.

Do you bake the casseroles and then just heat up or bake when you get home ? Or do you heat in the microwave. Those sound really good. Thanks for the ideas.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 02:32:50 PM »
It depends on timing. 

Usually if I'm going to be gone most of the day, I'll make up the ingredients for the sauce and boil the pasta to almost al dente the night before.  Then I'll put some olive oil on the pasta and throw everything into the fridge unmixed.  When I get home, turn on the oven, put the sauce part in the microwave to heat up, then toss in the pasta, throw into a casseorole sprinkle with cheese and bake.

Other times, I feel ok just baking before I leave, letting it cool down some before putting in the fridge and then just reheating when I get home. 

If you want something a little more formal, I've done Chicken in Tarragon Sauce.
Cut each chicken breast filet lenghthwise to create 2 thinner filet's.  Season with salt and pepper and slowly poach in chicken stock flavored with tarragon and vermouth or white wine.  Cook till the chicken is almost done.  Put into an 8x12 casserole and it's fine to overlap, actually makes it look prettier.  Cover with foil and put in fridge.  Reduce your poaching liquid by half and then put in fridge.  Before serving the next day, put the chicken breasts in a preheated oven still covered in foil.  Reheat the poaching liquid and add enough cream to thicken.  Pour over chicken once it is rewarmed.  Easily comes together with a side of green beans and crock pot mashed potatoes or a side of rice.   

Enchiladas are also easy to do before hand.  You can do a tray of beef and a tray of cheese.  Just bake when you get home.  Serve with crockpot pinto beans and a premade cucumber, avocado, cilantro, tomato salad with a lime dressing. 

Mikayla

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 04:52:04 PM »
I think your menu sounds awesome, especially if you know ahead of time this "audience" will go for it.

If you do end up wanting something a little different, my go-to dish for things like this is a chicken and wine recipe that is insanely easy.  Just combine 1 cup white wine, 1 cup sour cream and about 3 lbs of chicken pieces (I like bone in for flavor).  Cover and bake at 325 for 45 minutes - hour.  If you want to kick it up a notch, saute some fresh mushrooms and add them to the mix.  Then about 15 minutes before you take it out, sprinkle some parmesano reggiano over it and return to oven. 

It has this elegant vibe to it that makes it seem like you went to a lot of trouble.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 11:55:26 AM »
It sounds excellent with or without the pizza.

Of course, a lot depends on your religious denomination and where you live but, in our experience, Confirmation parties tend to be somewhat informal affairs.  In contrast, first communion parties tend to be more so. 

hannahmollysmom

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 01:44:43 AM »
When my daughter got married 1 1/2 years ago, I did the cooking for the 50 guests. I tried to find things I could cook in advance and leave in the oven on warm while at the ceremony. Then we trucked it all to the hall that I had sent up with warming dishes.

I made crockpot beef burgandy (big hit) Boneless Chicken with a creamy cheese white wine sauce, Stuffed Shells, Roasted potatoes (onion soup mix) and steamed veggies, as well as salad and rolls. That way I hit up everyone including vegetarians.

PM me if you would like any of the recipes. All were easy.