Author Topic: From E-Hell Blog: Donít Get Between Me and My Coffee!  (Read 4194 times)

Asharah

From E-Hell Blog: Donít Get Between Me and My Coffee!
« on: February 04, 2010, 08:22:13 PM »
   A few years ago, my husband was in the drive-through at a coffee place, waiting in line. When he got up to the window and got his coffee, the lady handed him his change and he dropped it.

As he said, if it had just been a few quarters or something he wouldnít have cared, but he had paid with a ten-dollar bill so there were one and two dollar coins in the change. Not being overly rich, he got out of the car to pick it all up.

Apparently this was very inconsiderate of him, because the man behind him flew out of his vehicle in a rage, and proceeded to attack my husband and punch him as he was bent over picking up his change. After the guy landed a few punches, my husband managed to escape back into his car and lock himself in, the other guy still screaming and pounding on the windshield and driverís window. He was right up against my husbandís car so he couldnít proceed out of the drive-through. Finally the idiot got back into his own vehicle, still yelling and honking his horn.

This may be a worth a spot in etiquette hell as well, but my husband was so enraged by the immature behavior of the other man that he refused to move. This meant that the whole drive-through line was being held up, during morning commuting time when everyone and his dog stops at this popular Canadian coffee chain on the way to work. After a few minutes the manager came out to see what was happening. My husband told him, ďIím not moving until you get that *holeís license number and call the police on him for assaulting and threatening me.Ē He then handed the manager his card with his own name and number on it. The manager agreed to do so, my husband got out of the lineup and everyone went on with their day.

The police contacted him later and let him know that they didnít press any charges, but they did give the guy a good talking to. Asharah's comment: Isn't it the decision of the person assaulted to press charges or not? Are the rules different in Canada? If there is a moral of the story, I guess it is that you shouldnít try to get between a man and his morning coffee.   1128-08
Asharah

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
Re: From E-Hell Blog: Donít Get Between Me and My Coffee!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 09:14:27 PM »

How scary!. That man is a loon.
I'd go back to the police and insist on pressing charges.
Stewart/Colbert '16

Miss Charlotte

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 10:23:53 PM »
I find the fact that there are people like that roaming around absolutely frightening.
"Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to shop." Gittel Hudnick

Amava

Re: From E-Hell Blog: Don’t Get Between Me and My Coffee!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 11:15:05 PM »
I find the fact that there are people like that roaming around absolutely frightening.

I agree with you.

trailgrrl

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 11:21:33 PM »
I work in the early am for a popular US Coffee Chain with a drive through.  I believe this happened.  Being in a Drive through is similar to being on the internet.  People tend to believe that they are allowed to be rude to the employees/other customers if they perceive them as taking too long.

If you are already running late to work, ferry, Airplane flight, church (Oh my Diety, Sundays are the worst) DO NOT GET IN A DRIVE THROUGH LINE.  We do the best we can to get you on your way as quickly as possible, however your lack of prior planning is not our fault. our goal is to have you spend no more than forty seconds at they pay window to hand us your payment and give you your beverage.

My Personal favorite is the woman who complained that the regular customer who was in front of her took too long to order ( He likes to banter a bit with us, but it wasn't excessive).  She pulled up and was snarkily complaining that "he obviously has no place to be".  OK, he has already gotten his brewed coffee with two sweet n lows and cream and doughnut and long gone.  However she had two quad shot 20 oz Caramel Macchiatos with about six modifiers  that she did not tell us about until she got to the window because she was too busy  complaining at the intercom that the car in front of her took too long to order.

She was the second of  two cars in line and we got her on her way in less than two minutes from order to out the door, including the multiple changes made at the window.

This different from the person who pulls up to the order screen, does not roll down their window and place an order, proceeds to finish their cell phone conversation while six cars line up behind them.  On some days I think that's grounds for justifiable homicide.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 11:30:18 PM »
I'll be brutally honest.  I would have refused to move until the police arrived, however that would have not taken long where I live now.

Tia2

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 02:48:44 PM »

Asharah's comment: Isn't it the decision of the person assaulted to press charges or not? Are the rules different in Canada?

I don't know about Canada, but in the UK, it is totally up to the police and prosecution service.  They will take the complainant's views into account but if they think it is in the public interest, they will disregard this person's preference.  If they have other witnesses, they don't even need that person at all.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 02:55:52 PM »
I find it odd that he just drove away without waiting for the police.  Isn't it up to the person assaulted to file the charges, not the restaurant manager who had nothing to do with it?  He may be a witness, but that's about all the manager has to do...

ďThose are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.Ē ~ Groucho Marx

TaylorMade

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
Hey guys ~ We may be getting into legal territory that we aren't supposed to getting in to....   (I believe the rule isn't just about giving posters legal advice, but also discussing whether something is legal or not)