Author Topic: Mixed drink good to make in a large quantity?  (Read 6602 times)

ACBNYC

Mixed drink good to make in a large quantity?
« on: January 26, 2012, 09:34:45 AM »
I had my annual New Year's Day party and a good friend brought over her amazing homemade bloody mary mix in a large tupperware-like jug. I bought the vodka and gin, but when it came down to it, most of us were drinking wine and hardly anyone drank the bloody marys (and I ended up dumping the mix last week--I wasn't sure how long it would last, probably longer than I let it).

Good friend is having a housewarming/engagement party this weekend and I'd like to return her container with something in it. Cranberry vodka is easy, but I'm looking for something more...special than that. It doesn't have to be vodka or gin, I'm happy to buy other ingredients.

Any ideas for me?  :)

baritone108

Re: Mixed drink good to make in a large quantity?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 12:52:01 PM »
Cosmos, mojitos or sangria.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 12:57:05 PM »

Sangria is exactly what i was thnking. There are a million recipes out there, or you can just wing it, and it is perfect for making in large quantities. If i am not mistaken it actually originated as something to make in large quantities.

At the risk of sounding like the biggest lush - i thought bloody marys are a breakfast drink? No? Are my friends just big alkies:)?

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

NyaChan

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
This big batch margarita recipe is pretty good:  http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2006/a-gallon-of-margaritas/

I also have a great recipe for sangria that I've worked on for a couple of years if you like, just let me know.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 01:01:42 PM »
Sangria, margaritas or mojitos.  Yum!
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 02:06:17 PM »
I love sangria made with prosseco.  I can post a link to the recipe if interested.

During the winter, we also like Sidecars.

Lemonade with a flavored vodka is always good too. 

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 02:15:46 PM »
Cranberry, orange, vodka and peach schnapps. Mmm...

CorrieFan

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 02:53:17 PM »
If you make something with vodka, try one of the flavoured ones, i.e. lemon, lime etc
I love the lime vodka as it adds an extra 'zip' to whatever cocktail you're making.

mabelle

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 03:19:17 PM »

At the risk of sounding like the biggest lush - i thought bloody marys are a breakfast drink? No? Are my friends just big alkies:)?

They are a good anytime drink, but I also associate them with brunches...most of the restaurants near me that serve a formal brunch on weekends include your choice of bloody marys or mimosas. As to the third question, I don't know about your friends, but I'd be reluctant to judge them for their love of morning bloody marys. :D

ACBNYC

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 03:48:05 PM »
Sangria sounds amazing! Love the idea and would love the prosseco recipe. I'll look up a Sidecar, never had one!

Bloody Marys are traditionally for breakfast/brunch...but are also known as hangover drinks, which kind of works out for a New Year's Day party.  ;D

lowspark

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 03:51:03 PM »
This big batch margarita recipe is pretty good:  http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2006/a-gallon-of-margaritas/

I also have a great recipe for sangria that I've worked on for a couple of years if you like, just let me know.

Yes, please.

I love sangria made with prosseco. I can post a link to the recipe if interested.

Yes, please.

I'm always on the look out for good sangria recipes!

ilrag

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 04:08:53 PM »
I always make what I call a John Daley (aka - Alcoholic Arnold Palmer) for my parties and it goes super fast - people love it.

A few days in advance take a bottle or 4 of vodka, take off the top and dump in a bunch of earl grey tea leaves. I tend to shake mine every morning but I assume it's not necessary - I just like to do it.

The day of the party pour the vodka through a strainer or cheese cloth to get the tea leaves out.  Then add lemondae until the container is full.  Super easy.

NyaChan

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 04:27:37 PM »
Red Wine Sangria:

Alcohol:
-8 ounces sweet vermouth
-2 750 ml bottles of red wine:  I like a fruity wine for sangria & really for this there is no need for an expensive brand.  I think I used a Beringer Sweet Red & it worked out really well.

Mix ins:
-15 oz fruit juice:  I prefer cranberry.  A friend once subbed in cherry juice & to be honest it was not to my taste
-10 oz Grenadine syrup
-1 large orange, peeled & sliced, watch out for seeds
-2 lemons, peeled & sliced, watch out for seeds
-any fruits you have a liking for

I recommend making this the night before so it has time to soak, but it should taste fine even if you make it the morning of.

Smush up slices of the lemon & orange with a small amount of the wine - try to leave them relatively whole though if you think people will want to eat them (but warn them that fruit really soaks up alcohol!).  While that soaks, start measuring out the other liquids into the pitcher.  Start with the wine, the vermouth, then the wine+lemon/orange slices.  The cranberry juice, & the grenadine go last into the pitcher.  I would suggest putting them in last and tasting after the cranberry & while you pour in the grenadine so that you can control the flavor to your own liking.  The amounts I listed are what I have found to be successful with my friends. Use the simple syrup to sweeten it up if needed ( I usually find it tastes better with at least some in it).  If you like fruit chunks in your sangria then go ahead and add those in as well.  I believe peaches & cherries tend to be popular though I usually just use the orange and lemon.

Let it soak & then enjoy responsibly!

I made 2 batches of this for a football party & between the 7 of us it was gone before the 3rd quarter ended.  ;D

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 04:42:52 PM »
Oh, Pame, I love sidecars!!

Pomegranate martinis - vodka, pomegranate juice, a little lemon or lime juice and some simple syrup - yum! And full of antioxidants, so ... health food!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 09:12:29 PM »

Yes, please.

I love sangria made with prosseco. I can post a link to the recipe if interested.

Prosseco Sangria
1 bottle prosecco
1/4 cup contrieau
1/4 cup sugar
1 each sliced - lemon, lime, orange
1 cup sliced strawberries
Mix and let sit overnight.  To serve, fill glass 2/3 full and top off with club soda.

If I want to further reduce alcohol content, i'll sub orange juice for contrieau and reduce the sugar. 

Yes, please.

I'm always on the look out for good sangria recipes!