News:

• April 19, 2018, 12:58:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question about spelling rules etc  (Read 25729 times)

sparksals

Re: Question about spelling rules etc
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2012, 11:03:35 AM »
T'Mar: you say, "let's not get into..."; but, random-ish hard-to-resist grammar / language thought -- I have seen it theorised that as -- English, anyway -- advances and develops, it tends to acquire more irregular-form verbs.  In British English, the past tense of "dive", is "dived"; in American English, it's "dove". (You're in South Africa, if I'm right -- don't know what you folk there, say for that one.)  It could be argued that in this instance, American English is ahead of, and more sophisticated than, its British counterpart; if so, then maybe also with "drug" instead of "dragged"...?

I had to read this 3 times to understand it.  Given the topic of the thread, and with all due respect, the dashes, .....'s, and brackets make the paragraph disjointed and difficult to understand.
Sorry; talk about shooting oneself in the foot, and being blind to one's own defects. A lesson that I should take to heart.

I don't consider it a defect at all.  It is a different writing style, that's all.  I have had difficulty understanding your posts in the past and I thought the thread topic was a good time to bring it up.  No offense intended. 

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2012, 11:15:55 AM »
Maybe I've missed a lot of posts, but I just don't come across too many posts that are that hard to read.  But then I tend to disagree with the posters who complain when people use bold, colors, etc. as those don't bother me either.  I think the best thing to do is to continue to skip the posts that bother you.  Calling out other posters for their posting style bothers me more than grammar or spelling issues.

I agree with this.  Dotty, it did make me uncomfortable to read that a long time US poster has a posting style you don't care for.  Have you told them directly?

Why? We're all allowed to have likes and dislikes - no one can help the way they feel about things. But I would never tell the person - what if they're dyslexic or something? Or some other thing that they can't help? I'd feel terrible, they'd feel terrible, and there would forever be that rift between us.

it's not that anyone is saying you can't like a poster's writing/posting style. what was done is like vaugebooking. i am pretty sure we all agree that's not cool. i think that was what the other posters were getting at. i could be wrong, but that is how i read that.

POD.  Besides, people are pretty smart and can figure out who is calling out their posting style by reading this thread.  This isn't exactly a private way to deal with a situation if you don't want them to know you're annoyed with their posting habits.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

DottyG

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2012, 11:20:39 AM »
I edited my post a few days ago.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2012, 11:45:09 AM »
T'Mar: you say, "let's not get into..."; but, random-ish hard-to-resist grammar / language thought -- I have seen it theorised that as -- English, anyway -- advances and develops, it tends to acquire more irregular-form verbs.  In British English, the past tense of "dive", is "dived"; in American English, it's "dove". (You're in South Africa, if I'm right -- don't know what you folk there, say for that one.)  It could be argued that in this instance, American English is ahead of, and more sophisticated than, its British counterpart; if so, then maybe also with "drug" instead of "dragged"...?

I had to read this 3 times to understand it.  Given the topic of the thread, and with all due respect, the dashes, .....'s, and brackets make the paragraph disjointed and difficult to understand.
Sorry; talk about shooting oneself in the foot, and being blind to one's own defects. A lesson that I should take to heart.

I don't consider it a defect at all.  It is a different writing style, that's all.  I have had difficulty understanding your posts in the past and I thought the thread topic was a good time to bring it up.  No offense intended.
No worries, no offence taken.  A lot of people (not only on this board) find my writing style maddening.  I see cerebrally, while having difficulty in putting it into practice, the sense in "simplicity wins the race".

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2012, 12:01:17 PM »
Maybe I've missed a lot of posts, but I just don't come across too many posts that are that hard to read.  But then I tend to disagree with the posters who complain when people use bold, colors, etc. as those don't bother me either.  I think the best thing to do is to continue to skip the posts that bother you.  Calling out other posters for their posting style bothers me more than grammar or spelling issues.

I agree with this.  Dotty, it did make me uncomfortable to read that a long time US poster has a posting style you don't care for.  Have you told them directly?

Not Dotty, but I have the same issue, and I wouldn't dream of telling them directly. I don't feel like I have the "right" to call them out on their posting style, because I'm not a native English speaker. I just ignore their posts and move on.

I think this is wise.

When I first participated in an Internet forum, it was as snarky as they come, and I gleefully pointed out people's errors multiple times a day. Others did the same, and often discussions were sidetracked completely by back-and-forth over writing issues.

I'm glad to say I've grown up and either skip or skim the posts I find too challenging to read without cringing. These sorts of posts and posters exist on eHell in delightfully lower numbers than on most forums.

DottyG

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2012, 12:08:40 PM »
Again, I've already edited my post.

And I do skip over posts that aren't able to be understood.  My point, though, was that I regret having to skip over some posts.  I think everyone has something that's worth reading and it does sadden me when I have to deliberately skip over something that is probably filled with wisdom just because I can't understand what it says. :(

CakeEater

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2012, 04:57:52 PM »
I did that ..... thing. I did it a lot, then someone here pointed out that they picture it as someone gasping for air between the words.  I have mended my ways since then. There is hope for us, please keep trying :)

same here Steve. same here.

though, i am not one to use capitalization. i didn't realize that bothered so many. for me, it's just lazyness.  ;D i assure you, i know what should be capitalized. i am just a lazy typer.

I don't think anyone's criticizing anyone for not knowing how to write correctly. It's difficult to read when people don't write correctly. Many have said in this thread that they would generally skip over posts without proper capitalization. If you're fine with that, then laze away!

I apologise, but I can't bring myself to type 'color' and 'favorite'. I need a 'u' in there!

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2012, 07:37:27 PM »
This thread was reminding me of an old post on a forum I participate in occasionally, and granted, the board is populated by a lot of self-absorbed egomaniacs and egomaniacs-in-training, so the post might not have been as shocking there as it would have been if someone had posted the same thing here, but it did cause a bit of outrage even there.

Someone had called out the poor writers, saying something like, "Look, supposedly we're all at a post-graduate education level or beyond, and we should be able to write coherently with a modicum of correct spelling, punctuation and sentence structure.  Can the folks with illegible posts please clean them up from now on?"

One of the worst guys responded with something along the lines of:  "i dont care how my post come a cross i am a [professional] and i pay ppl to make since of what i say so u all just need to deal with it and feel lucky that i lower myself to offering u all my opion at all my time is to important to spend making my post pretty for u ppl"

While I'm sure the vast majority of people don't neglect using a spell-checker or basic rules of punctuation because they feel they are above their readers, when people don't even seem to try, it feels like they are saying, "my time is to important to spend making my post pretty for u ppl."  Thankfully, I don't think I've seen this attitude expressed here at all.

MasterofSquirrels

• hi.
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2012, 10:03:40 AM »
I did that ..... thing. I did it a lot, then someone here pointed out that they picture it as someone gasping for air between the words.  I have mended my ways since then. There is hope for us, please keep trying :)

same here Steve. same here.

though, i am not one to use capitalization. i didn't realize that bothered so many. for me, it's just lazyness.  ;D i assure you, i know what should be capitalized. i am just a lazy typer.

I don't think anyone's criticizing anyone for not knowing how to write correctly. It's difficult to read when people don't write correctly. Many have said in this thread that they would generally skip over posts without proper capitalization. If you're fine with that, then laze away!

I apologise, but I can't bring myself to type 'color' and 'favorite'. I need a 'u' in there!

if you feel that i don't have anything intelligent to add to this forum because of the way i type, it's your loss. i don't mean that in a snarky way.

DottyG

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2012, 10:08:32 AM »
The no caps, while a little distracting, doesn't deter me from reading your posts.  I can read yours just fine.

It's the ones where the post is so jumbled and so incomprehensible that I find I just have to skip them.  The ones where I really try my best to read through them, but I can't grasp what the writer is trying to say.

It's interesting to find that you can usually tell people's posts without looking at their names first just by their style or way that they write.  There are some people here that I can be reading through and I think, "I'd bet money that Susie Jo wrote this one!" And I look and find that I'm right.

rose red

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2012, 11:14:28 AM »
if you feel that i don't have anything intelligent to add to this forum because of the way i type, it's your loss. i don't mean that in a snarky way.

Who said anything about intelligence?  I read your one sentense just fine, but if it were a 5 paragraph post without paragraph breaks and no punctuation, then I would have skipped it.  It might have been the most life-changing and insightful thing ever, but I have enough eye problems as it is (medical issue).  I may not want to skip, but had to.

I would never ask anyone to change the way they type, but I will be forced to sadly skip them just like others may skip my posts if they have trouble with my writing habits.

This topic reminds me of a book that I waited months to be available in the library.  I had to stop reading after a few chapters because I couldn't deal with the author's style of no quotation marks.

eta: I have trouble reading all CAPS too.  Happily, nobody on Ehell does that although I can't say the same for other forums.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:25:44 AM by rose red »

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2012, 11:54:45 AM »
I'm not seeing any valuable discussion here. 

Generally speaking, the clearer your post, the clearer your point will be.  Again, generally speaking, clarity means abiding by accepted conventions.  But this is an etiquette forum, not one on language.

If you want to nit-pick language, go to a language forum.  I recommend dictionary.com: http://forums.delphiforums.com/dictionary/?
Better to light a candle than curse the darkness.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.