Author Topic: I think I used this right, another trip to Sprawl Mart.  (Read 10565 times)

*new*mommyagain36

I think I used this right, another trip to Sprawl Mart.
« on: January 26, 2012, 12:16:17 PM »
So, I arrived at my local Sprawl Mart Sunday evening.  It was teeming with people as usual.  I found a decent parking space (surprise!) and I pull in.  No sooner had I put my car in park then there is a man at my door.  I lower the window a crack.

Me:  Can I help you?
Man:  Pull through.
Me:  Excuse Me?
Man:  The space in front of you is open, pull through.

I realize that this man has stopped his car behind me and wants me to pull me car straight through she he can park in this spot.  First of all, I like parking with my trunk on the aisle, it is much easier to load groceries in and Second of all, this man is beyond rude at the moment.

Me:  No.  If you want to drive around and take that spot then you can.
Man:  Just pull through.
Me:  No.  (picking up cell) And I am now calling the cops.

He quickly walked back to his car and drove off.  By that time someone else had taken the space in front of me and I have no idea where this man ended up parking.  He drove off, I went inside and did my shopping.  I was shaking like a leaf but also angry that he thought it was ok to pull that stunt.
"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
    • Cards and Crafts by Carol
Re: I think I used this right, another trip to Sprawl Mart.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 12:30:10 PM »
While it's fine for someone to ask you to pull through it sounds like he did not ask politely and was refusing to take no for an answer. You did fine.

He wanted you to move to a less convenient space so that he could take the more convenient space... um, no!

I am amusing myself thinking of what you would have said to the cops "There's a rude man asking me to move my car, come at once! ;D 
Ireland
Check out my handmade cards -
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsnCraftsbyCarol

*new*mommyagain36

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 12:35:26 PM »
I know, threatening to call the cops?  :-[  But, I just did not know what else to say to him.  If I opened my door it would have hit him.  He was thisclose to my door the whole time.  ::)
"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 12:38:10 PM »
Sprawl Mart ;D I like it.

That is just weird. Dude could have just pulled around and parked to begin with; his car would have been in the same basic position - facing the row, with the trunk toward the aisle. Getting out and approaching you to ask (tell) you to move ... why? It makes no sense. I think i would have done the same thing you did.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 12:38:42 PM »
Oh, I didn't mean your threat to call the cops was wrong - I just have a funny sense of humour!

I would have done exactly the same thing, as a woman in a car alone with a man right outside my window who was demanding something and did not seem to be taking no for an answer. I would have been scared.

ETA: I am a "woman" not a "women"  ::)
Ireland

O'Dell

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 05:29:19 PM »
IMO he was rude to ask. No need to approach a stranger and ask them to park differently. And I think threatening to call the cops was fine. Seriously it took that to get him to drop it and go away? Crazy.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 11:18:35 PM »
Another reason for not pulling through is that you end up in the wrong angle to drive when you leave. All the Walmarts I've been in have angle parking and one way aisles.

I would have told him, "I can't."

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 11:21:41 PM »
I think it's silly of him to go to the effort of stopping, getting out of his car, and walking over to ask you to do that.  It would be faster for him just to drive around!  Plus he could be blocking other vehicles whilst leaving his car momentarily unattended.  I think he was rude, and you handled it well.  To be nice you *could* have moved, but you shouldn't have to - it's less convenient for you for a number of valid reasons.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 04:39:05 AM »
IMO he was rude to ask. No need to approach a stranger and ask them to park differently. And I think threatening to call the cops was fine. Seriously it took that to get him to drop it and go away? Crazy.

I don't think it was rude of him to ask. Because some people would not mind pulling forward. However he did not ask politely, he demanded it. And he refused to take now for an answer. Those are the things that make it rude.
Ireland

MrTango

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 08:51:15 AM »
I can totally imagine the guy pulling that on someone and getting a face full of pepper spray for his efforts.

(Not condoning that sort of thing, but if I saw it and knew what was going on, I'd probably laugh).

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 08:33:24 AM »
He was rude to ask.  It's rude to ask strangers to inconvenience themselves to make life easier for yourself.  Not to mention that if you had pulled forward, you would be  parked "wrong."

Since he left before you called the cops, I would've mentioned it to the manager.  You just never know these days.  Better to be safe.

TheVapors

• Oh my! I should lay down...
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 10:44:58 PM »
I wouldn't have thought it was rude of him to ask, but from the description above he didn't ask. He commanded. "Pull through."

Then he didn't take no for an answer.

The OP did perfectly fine. I would feel very on edge about being approached by a strange man who barked an order at me, and then wouldn't leave me alone.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 12:54:02 AM »
I wouldn't have thought it was rude of him to ask, but from the description above he didn't ask. He commanded. "Pull through."

Then he didn't take no for an answer.

The OP did perfectly fine. I would feel very on edge about being approached by a strange man who barked an order at me, and then wouldn't leave me alone.

This exactly; OP you exhibited a perfect polite spine!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

weeblewobble

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 10:52:55 AM »
I know, threatening to call the cops?  :-[  But, I just did not know what else to say to him.  If I opened my door it would have hit him.  He was thisclose to my door the whole time.  ::)

No, I don't think it's out of line.  If he was making you uncomfortable or preventing you from leaving your vehicle, you may have been justified in calling.  It's all about the context of the situation.

A while ago, there was a story from a poster who was followed to her car from the grocery, the man tried to open her door after she was in the drivers seat and demanded to see her military themed t-shirt. (He gave some story about serving in the military and didn't recognize the insignia on her shirt. When she refused, he became irate and tried to stand behind her car so she wouldn't leave. Now, on its face, 'There's a man standing outside my car, demanding to see my t-shirt.' sounds like a silly reason to call the police. But his behavior was bizarre and made the OP feel threatened. In that case, calling 911 would have been a good choice.

If nothing else, the threat of calling was enough to make him leave you alone.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 11:28:24 AM »

No, I don't think it's out of line.  If he was making you uncomfortable or preventing you from leaving your vehicle, you may have been justified in calling.  It's all about the context of the situation.

A while ago, there was a story from a poster who was followed to her car from the grocery, the man tried to open her door after she was in the drivers seat and demanded to see her military themed t-shirt. (He gave some story about serving in the military and didn't recognize the insignia on her shirt. When she refused, he became irate and tried to stand behind her car so she wouldn't leave. Now, on its face, 'There's a man standing outside my car, demanding to see my t-shirt.' sounds like a silly reason to call the police. But his behavior was bizarre and made the OP feel threatened. In that case, calling 911 would have been a good choice.

If nothing else, the threat of calling was enough to make him leave you alone.

Two completely different scenarios.  In yours, the man was being threatening; in the OP's, he was being pushy.  However, her saying she would call the cops worked and she didn't actually have to.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.