Author Topic: Your own personal ticklers  (Read 6062 times)

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
    • Cards and Crafts by Carol
Your own personal ticklers
« on: January 27, 2012, 10:31:19 AM »
I'm sure there's a similar thread, I just can't find it. I think it was called "unintentional humour".

So what little things do you see/hear/read that just tickle you?

Is it little slip ups in newspaper articles? EG: I love when they say things like "the dead man was last seen walking down West Winding Avenue". How can a dead man walk!?

Most recently I saw a small article about a young man who was arrested (possibly for robbery). It was noted in the article that he was throwing "used toilet paper" around the store in which he was robbing. The journalist had done some research into the young man and found that he had been a well know GAA Hurling athlete in his youth. Except he expressed it as follows "The young man was a notable hurler".

I showed the article to several people, but they only got it when I pointed it out. I guess I have a funny sense of humour  :D
Ireland
Check out my handmade cards -
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsnCraftsbyCarol

snowfire

Re: Your own personal ticklers
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 11:21:52 AM »
I get a kick out of the weird newspaper stuff as well.  Many years ago there was an article in the paper about the promotion of a woman with the last name of Legg.  The headline read " BigCompany elevates Legg". 

I also have a very visual sense of humor.  I can read something and immediately picture it in my head, usually putting the funniest spin possible on it.  >:D

Kaypeep

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 11:58:30 AM »
The title of this discussion made me laugh.   >:D

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 12:04:26 PM »
Grammar and unintentional double-meanings, mostly.  Things like this:

(No really, you do need commas!)

and this recent headline "Mistress of Doctor Who Was Stabbed to Death Testifies at Widow's Trial" - I'm guessing the editor who wrote the headline wasn't a Doctor Who fan.  Those of us who love Doctor Who process that syntax differently  :P

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 12:06:55 PM »
The title of this discussion made me laugh.   >:D
Me, too, because my first thought was an accessory one buys at adult Scrabble stores.

I have a newspaper clipping from the early 1980s when I first traveled to China. The government put out an English language "newspaper" aimed at tourists. I put "newspaper" in quotes, because most of the news was stuff like tractor factories that exceeded their quotas and heroic peasants who single-handedly saved their commune from a flood.

The article I saved, extolled the fact that natural gas was becoming more available to apartment buildings for cooking and heating. The headline is:

Millions of Chinese Now Have Gas.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 12:08:46 PM »
Years ago the police blotter column in a local paper mentioned the arrest of a man who was acting in a 'lude' manner.  I'm sure they meant another spelling but yes, he could have been acting under the influence.

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 12:11:59 PM »
I like the grammatical ones too.

On a more lowbrow note though, any kind of humor involving false teeth will generally crack me up.

Also, the old Burma Shave ads they used to have along roadsides (even though I've never actually seen them), and any parodies.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 12:15:30 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/nov/06/scrabble-champion-2011-wayne-kelly

"UK Scrabble King Celebrates With Night On Tiles"

Too much info!!!
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 12:46:33 PM »
Grammar and unintentional double-meanings, mostly.  Things like this:

(No really, you do need commas!)

and this recent headline "Mistress of Doctor Who Was Stabbed to Death Testifies at Widow's Trial" - I'm guessing the editor who wrote the headline wasn't a Doctor Who fan.  Those of us who love Doctor Who process that syntax differently  :P

"Do you want to eat, John?"
OR
"Do you want to eat John?"

Commas save lives, you know...
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 01:37:33 PM »
I may have posted this before but there was one in the museum that tickled me.

HR issued a new employee handbook of procedures and rules.  That was fine but they called it the 'Employee Workbook' although it didn't include a single exercise.

People asked about the title.  All were told that the publication was called a 'Workbook' because it dealt with issues at work.   :-\

This is the same HR department that referred to the period from July 1 through June 31 (sic) as the 'physical year'. 

Moonie

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 03:59:38 PM »
Several years ago there was an organization in my town called "20 Good Men".  They did home renovations for senior citizens and low income homeowners.  Apparently they were wanting people to donate equipment to them...the headline in the local paper read, "20 Good Men Need NewTools".   I giggled at that  :P

Nikko-chan

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 10:04:11 PM »
I may have posted this before but there was one in the museum that tickled me.

HR issued a new employee handbook of procedures and rules.  That was fine but they called it the 'Employee Workbook' although it didn't include a single exercise.

People asked about the title.  All were told that the publication was called a 'Workbook' because it dealt with issues at work.   :-\

This is the same HR department that referred to the period from July 1 through June 31 (sic) as the 'physical year'.

They uh, they meant fiscal, didn't they?

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
    • Cards and Crafts by Carol
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 02:47:34 PM »
Every time the thread "Any tips for flying with children?" comes up in my unread pages, I read it as "Any tips for flying children?"

I am not dyslexic, I just often skim the titles, and for some reason I tend to keep reading this one incorrect.

Ireland
Check out my handmade cards -
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsnCraftsbyCarol

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 03:11:26 PM »
Moose vs. semi

I still giggle remember reading that in the newspaper... The driver was okay, but the semi and moose did not make it :-\
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

doodlemor

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 09:27:48 PM »
This is something I saw which made me smile.

BG - There are many Amish in our area, and they sometimes shop in regular stores.  For those not familiar with the group, they are a very religious people who follow a strict dress code.  Their clothing is very plainly made of dark fabrics.

I was shopping at a nearby Walmart, and saw a married [you can tell by his beard] Amish man walking within the area with the very frilly ladies *unmentionables.*  At first I thought that he was just cutting through to another department, but he was definitely strolling casually and getting an eyeful of the especially wispy items.

When he saw that I had noticed him he blushed a bit and left the area. 

I wonder if he was thinking of a way that he could buy some of this stuff for his wife without his friends finding out, or if he was just curious about what we "English" [non-Amish] women have under our outer clothing.