Author Topic: Driving friendly picnic  (Read 894 times)

Tai

Driving friendly picnic
« on: January 27, 2012, 11:12:41 AM »
I want to do a "fancied up picnic" for DH tonight.  We're going to a charity event/ album release party/ concert tonight, and we won't really have time between the time he gets home from work and the time we need to leave to have a proper dinner.  I was thinking that if I made a nice picnic, we could eat it on the way to the venue. 

Any ideas? 

I'm thinking a freshly baked loaf of bread would be a good start. 

Amara

Re: Driving friendly picnic
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 02:14:34 PM »
Could you get there a bit early and have a tailgate picnic rather than eating on the way? (I am trying to picture that and am only seeing your DH trying to eat as he drives.) If so, how about a little barbecue in your parking space?

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 02:44:24 PM »
Somehow "nice picnic" and "to be eaten while in the car" to me are contradictions in terms.

I'd either plan for a nice dinner out (or at home) after the event (and a quick snack on my way out the door) or if that's not feasible just grab something that's quick to eat and not messy to eat while in the car. Bonus if you eat before he gets home and then drive so that your DH doesn't have to eat while driving , only while being in the passenger seat.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 07:22:59 PM »
Somehow "nice picnic" and "to be eaten while in the car" to me are contradictions in terms.

I'd either plan for a nice dinner out (or at home) after the event (and a quick snack on my way out the door) or if that's not feasible just grab something that's quick to eat and not messy to eat while in the car. Bonus if you eat before he gets home and then drive so that your DH doesn't have to eat while driving , only while being in the passenger seat.

Agree with the above . . . especially the bold part.

Probably too late for any suggestions, but grapes or other "contained" fruits (strawberries, blueberries) chunks of cheese, some veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, baby carrots) and some good bread might work for a traveling picnic . . . all packed in separate baggies. Maybe add a sparkling fruit juice (to simulate wine.)

But the big part is that you eat before you leave and you drive so that he can relax and enjoy his picnic.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 09:46:39 PM »
Probably much too late, but perhaps useful for others or next time. In addition to the person eating not driving, it might be nice for the person eating to have a cushioned lap desk to serve as a tray. Balancing everything on napkins on the lap generally magnifies the stress involved. Of course, then there's juggling the seat belt, the lap desk and the food, but I think the lap desk is worth the logistics challenge.
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

Tai

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 12:56:43 PM »
DH and I do road trips frequently- I have a lot of family in a town about 100 miles from home. 

Anyways, I ended up making a loaf of beer bread.  I sliced up the bread, some summer sausage, and cheese, and a small jar of spicy mustard.  I also cut up a couple of apples, tossed them in lemon juice, then stuck them in a jar with a vanilla greek yogurt dip in the bottom. 

And then we hit a ridiculous late night diner anyways.  Cubans taste better at 2am!

Aggiesque

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 12:04:15 AM »
That sounds really good, Tai!
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/