Author Topic: Salmon recipies . . . please. Question #20.  (Read 4774 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Salmon recipies . . . please. Question #20.
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 08:10:07 AM »
salmon is pretty hard to *really* mess up unless you over cook it. I really like it in a spicy north african stew (typical for Jewish families to eat on friday night)

here is another very easy recipe:
1 salmon fillet - about 1 (~2.2 pounds) - i removed skin
finely chopped fresh herbs - whatever you like: parsley, coriander, thyme, a little basil, mint etc
1/3-1/2 cup oil
2 Tbls onion or mushroom soup mix (i didn't use and it came out fine)
black pepper, salt, garlic
1 Tbls soy sauce
1/3 cup date honey or maple syrup (in a pinch you can use brown sugar - i've done this and it's fine. i usually use a little less sugar cause i'm not a fan of too sweet)
brush generously all over the fish on both sides
sprinkle with generous amount of bread crumbs, sesame seeds, or mixture. this really locks in the flavor. (i added some grated lemon peel to the bread crumbs)

Bake covered for about 20 minutes, remove cover and bake another 5-10 mins or until done.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2012, 09:38:58 AM »
When I can get cheap salmon, I just wrap it in foil with butter and herbs and bake in the oven*, or sometimes add it to a fish pie as mechtilde described. (Smoked salmon is also nice mixed into scrambled eggs.)

*Leave the skin on - it comes off very easily after baking, but not before!

I do like The Guardian's Food & Drink section for recipes - lots here for salmon. :)

Nora

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2012, 12:18:25 PM »
I have one more super-Norwegian one:

5-600g salmon fillets
100g smoked salmon
1 tablespoon potatostarch
2-3 eggs (2 eggs are often enough)
teaspoon salt
teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons finely chopped thyme
2teaspoons finely chopped chives
50g thinly sliced spring onions

Put the salmon, eggs, potatostarch, salt and pepper in a foodprocessor and blend until smooth. Stir in the herbs and spring onions. Let rest for a while in the fridge. Form patties and fry in a frying pan until golden on both sides. Serve with dillsauce, salad and hamburgerbuns.
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

MOM21SON

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2012, 09:58:51 PM »
Almond crusted.

Brush filet with egg white, press into plate with crushed almonds. (or just press it in with your hands)  bake 350 for 20-25 minutes.

When done squeeze some lemon juice on it.  Superb!

We have Salmon a few times a week.  Picky DS eats it up.

buvezdevin

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2012, 09:21:16 PM »
First, a thank you for this post and all posters as I love salmon and have now added several new recipes to the go to list!

Just wanted to add one, which I had been wanting to try but did not have a reliable enough oven until today - this was the first meal chosen to inaugurate the new oven and it exceeded expectations, and is incredibly simple. 

Ingredients: salmon fillet(s), olive oil salt, fresh chives

Let the salmon fillets come to room temp or near (sit on counter for at least 10, better 20 minutes)
preheat oven to 200F, this is very low temp for cooking but works great for this dish
Rub a bit of olive oil on fillet(s) and lightly sprinkle with salt
Cook in oven for 30 minutes, fish will retain color but will be cooked though still unctuous

While fish is cooking, take fresh chives and process in food processor with a few tablespoons of olive oil - just enough oil to make the chives a bright green sauce which depends on quantity of chives.

Serve salmon with chive oil drizzled on top.

Really good!

(note, King salmon with a very high omega fat content is especially good this way, but it will work with other salmons)
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

mstigerlily

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2012, 10:55:33 AM »
I love salmon!
Here's my tips for cooking it:
If it's frozen, thaw it by putting the salmon (if it is vacuum wrapped in plastic, leave it, otherwise put it in a zip-top bag) in a bowl or pan (a 13x9 pan works well for a side of salmon) and cover it with warm- not hot- water. Change the water if it gets cool. This should thaw the salmon quickly.

I usually saute or grill my salmon. Cut it into individual portions, then toss it with olive oil, black pepper, salt, and dill. I sometimes use lemon pepper or garlic salt instead of the regular salt and pepper.

Heat a skillet or grill pan- you want the fish to sizzle when you put it in. Place the fish in the pan, skin side down. Cook until the fish is light pink about 1/3 of the way up the side. Flip, and cook again until 1/4-1/3 of the way up is light pink.

I like my salmon cooked medium-rare, so I cook it until the center is just warmed, not cooked (light pink). It will continue to cook after you take it out of the pan.

Immediately squirt with a little bit of fresh lemon juice.

For an Asian twist on this, replace the olive oil rub with mixture of sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger (powdered or fresh grated), and garlic (garlic powder is okay). Toss the salmon with this, then add a small amount of vegetable oil. The veg oil prevents sticking and helps the skin get crispy, and adding last allows the other ingredients to adhere better. Cook the same as above.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2012, 04:21:11 AM »

How about on the grill? I have a decent propane grill at my camper and i hear so much about grilled salmon. The only thing i can think to do with it is wrap it in tinfoil with lemon juice like i do in the oven at home - is there a better way?
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

buvezdevin

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2012, 08:02:45 AM »

How about on the grill? I have a decent propane grill at my camper and i hear so much about grilled salmon. The only thing i can think to do with it is wrap it in tinfoil with lemon juice like i do in the oven at home - is there a better way?

We had a grilling item designed for grilling fish, a metal mesh two sided holder with a handle.  But, we never used it much, so I have little actual experience to offer - it worked, but DBF is fine just putting fish fillets on the grill itself.

One thing we have used, really like, but just don't make a point of always using is cedar planks for grilling or roasting fish.  These are available in a lot of groceries or other shops.  The plank is a little larger than most individual serving sized fillets.  You soak the plank in water for a few hours or overnight, place the fish fillet on it, and grill/roast.  The soaked plank keeps the fish more moist through cooking, and lends a nice light smokey flavor as the plank will lightly char during cooking.  As the planks can only be used once or twice, we don't use them all the time, but we have very much enjoyed the results when we do.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2012, 04:44:14 AM »
This is one of my favorite ways to make salmon:

http://justbento.com/handbook/johbisai/how-make-salted-salmon-shiozake

It's traditional Japanese salted salmon called shiozake. It is DELICIOUS! I grill it. Or you can broil it. Just make sure you don't overcook salmon. Dry overcooked salmon is no fun.
No matter where you go, there you are...

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2012, 08:32:14 PM »

We had a grilling item designed for grilling fish, a metal mesh two sided holder with a handle.  But, we never used it much, so I have little actual experience to offer - it worked, but DBF is fine just putting fish fillets on the grill itself.

The grill is particularly good for whole fish - it makes it super easy to flip it so that it cooks on both sides, and gets nice and crispy without sticking to the grill. It's great for Japanese style grilled fish dishes.

Miriam

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2012, 09:11:08 PM »
I just cooked Alaskan salmon for the first time tonight. It was amazing, I can't wait to make it again.

I used Earth Balance vegan butter to coat the pan, a tablespoon of pecan oil, then some white wine to bring it all together and simmer. I used salt and pepper on the fish as well as chopped, fresh basil. Put the lid on it and let it cook. It was soooo good.
"All Was Well"