Author Topic: Salmon recipies . . . please. Question #20.  (Read 4948 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Salmon recipies . . . please. Question #20.
« on: January 27, 2012, 07:29:18 PM »
The other day, when I asked DD#2 what she wanted for dinner, she said "Salmon. It's healthy and I really want to try something different."

I've never cooked (baked?) salmon before.

Any good recipies?

What do you look for when buying salmon? What do you serve as a side with a salmon dish?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 04:07:51 PM by jpcher »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Salmon recipies . . . please.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 07:36:24 PM »
I've cooked it on the George Foreman grill.  I use an atomizer and lightly mist both sides with olive oil, use a little salt and pepper and a few sprigs of dill, then grill.  Another way to grill it is on a cedar plank on the BBQ.

I serve it with whatever veggies I want - grilled peppers are good.

I'm not big on sauces so hopefully someone else can help out there.

Do a google search - there are lists out there that tell you which fish are best from an environmental stand point, including whether they should be wild or farmed and from what location around the world.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

NyaChan

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 08:39:20 PM »
I like it marinated with garlic, ginger, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, some brown sugar, & sesame oil and then grilled or baked.  Some minced onions with it probably wouldn't hurt either.

ETA:  I think I had it once in with tandoori spices & that was really quite good too

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 08:40:30 PM »
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/balsamic-glazed-salmon-fillets/detail.aspx

Balsamic vinegar, honey, garlic, white wine, and herbs.  That recipe calls for mustard, but I eliminate it and the result is fantastic!  DH eats it quite happily, and he doesn't care much for fish that isn't batter-fried and served with french fries.

A similar one is http://allrecipes.com/recipe/maple-salmon/detail.aspx.  Maple syrup, soy sauce, garlic, pepper.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 08:58:07 PM »
You can just wrap it in foil and bake it.

Another option is to put some vegetables in the bottom of an ovenproof dish, add wine or whatever you fancy, then put the salmon on top, skin side up. Bake either covered or uncovered.

It pan fries well too.

The leftovers make great fishcakes, or as part of a fish pie, or with a little cream/yoghurt/creme fraiche, and egg and parmesan to go with pasta (think spaghetti carbonara made with lots of salmon instead of a little bacon)
NE England

NyaChan

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 09:00:58 PM »
You can just wrap it in foil and bake it.

Another option is to put some vegetables in the bottom of an ovenproof dish, add wine or whatever you fancy, then put the salmon on top, skin side up. Bake either covered or uncovered.

It pan fries well too.

The leftovers make great fishcakes, or as part of a fish pie, or with a little cream/yoghurt/creme fraiche, and egg and parmesan to go with pasta (think spaghetti carbonara made with lots of salmon instead of a little bacon)

Please do share how to make that, it sounds really interesting.

Mikayla

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 09:14:17 PM »
I like it marinated with garlic, ginger, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, some brown sugar, & sesame oil and then grilled or baked.  Some minced onions with it probably wouldn't hurt either.

<mini snip>

This is how I love to make it when I grill it or broil it.  I use lemon juice instead of the vinegar, though, and add scallions and a little canola oil (just to help it glaze nice and brown.  The original version I saw of this called for a couple splashes of bourbon!

If' I'm baking it, I keep it simple with butter, lemon juice and sometimes dill weed.  You just can't mess this fish up.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 09:25:08 PM »
Fish pie is great for leftovers. The nicest is a mixture of fish- say 1/2 white fish (eg cod, haddock) 1/4 salmon and 1/4 smoked fish. If you have poached the fish, reduce the liquid down to concentrate it, and add milk; or just use milk for the sauce. Make a roux of butter and flour, and use this to thicken the sauce. Add chopped parsley to taste, and mix in the flaked fish.

Put the fish and sauce in an ovenproof dish. Put chopped hard boiled eggs and cooked prawns on top of this, then top with mashed potato (or better yet, potato and swede mashed together, which gives a lighter result) Top this with a litttle cheese and some breadcrumbs and bake until golden brown on top.

This probably started out as a way of using up leftovers. You can make it with most types of fish, although probably not really oily fish like herring or mackerel. It can be made with just one fish, but I like a mixture. You can omit the prawns (shrimp in the US? Not sure) but the hard boiled eggs really add to it. Think of it as a sort of fishy shepherd's pie.
NE England

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 09:47:37 PM »
Salmon chowder, a nice way to use up any leftover salmon.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Northwest-Salmon-Chowder
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Amara

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 09:57:59 PM »
The easiest thing I do with salmon is to pour a bit of Caesar salad dressing over it, wrap it in foil and bake it. No mess, no clean up, and it's moist.

buvezdevin

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 09:58:23 PM »
All the above are great recommendations, I just want to add that the type of salmon and cut can also have real import in how you may choose to cook it, and prep.  Salmon steaks, a cross cut of a large fish do well on the grill with or without marinade.  Wild caught salmon has less fat and a fillet will do great pan seared.  For any baking recipe, you would generally want a thick slice. 

The only way I personally don't care for salmon is over-cooked, which loses the better flavor points, and can leave the texture less than the best.  There are many types of salmon, and several cuts, you may want to either ask your fishmonger or any person near the fish counter regarding suggestions for prep, or if you have a recipe you want to try, ask for their recommendation on type and cut.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 11:34:30 PM »
One of my favorites is from Cuisine at Home, but I was able to find where someone copied it to their blog:

Slow-Roasted Chipotle Salmon - bonus recipe, Pineapple Cilantro Rice, which goes nicely with it.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 10:18:18 AM »
We have a recipe that sounds insane but it's easy and delicious.

We soak salmon filets in lemon juice for about 15 minutes.

Now comes the crazy part.  We dredge the salmon in granulated sugar and sear it in a hot skillet.

The sugar immediately caramelizes and seals in the juices.  Cooking time is only a few minutes and the finished fish is only mildly sweet but has a slight crunch.

We like this with a green salad and cold sesame noodles.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 11:39:31 AM »
I used to be *addicted* to the Jack Daniels Salmon at TGIFridays.  Then they removed it from their menu.  :(  I haven't been back since.  I make it at home, although it's not as good as theirs, by brushing Jack Daniels barbecue sauce over the salmon, then cooking it for about 20 minutes on 350.  It's delicious.

My family also has a recipe for salmon cakes (sort of like crab cakes), made from canned salmon, which we serve with stewed tomatoes (also canned).  I'm not sure that canned would fit your bill, but if you want the recipe for that, let me know and I will get it.  It's a little more complicated, so I can't just type it from memory.  :)

Stirling

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 04:37:58 PM »
Very simple recipe.  Cut skinless salmon into pieces and then marinate in 3/4 cup maple syrup and 1/4 cup soy sauce for a minimun of 24 hours, 48 hours is best.  Put pieces on foil lined cookie sheet (for easy clean up).  At this point you could sprinkle with a little black pepper and garlic power if you like.  Next put the cookie sheet under the oven's broiler.  Fish cooks quickly so it should take 4-5 minutes on one side.  Flip the fish and about three minutes on second side.  Cooking times depend on how thick the fish pieces are.  Enjoy!