Author Topic: Salmon recipies . . . please. Question #20.  (Read 4691 times)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: Salmon recipies . . . please.
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 05:04:16 PM »
Why cook it?  Its delish raw.

Salmon is so super easy to cook - essentially you can't go wrong.

Grill it.  Bake it.  Pan fry it.  Poach it.  Since its safe raw, and a sturdy fish that holds up to sauces, its almost impossible to mess up because over cooked or undercooked its still edible and tasty.

A few good starter recipes:

Slather some dijon mustard on top and bake at 400 for 8 minutes.  Yum.
Poach in half water/half white wine.  Maybe drop some fresh dill in the liquid as it poaches.  Serve with lemon.
Cut into smallish pieces and drop into a white sauce with some peas and carrots, let simmer about 5 minutes and serve over pasta or rice.
Marinate in terryaki sauce and grill about 3-4 minutes per side.
Cook it any old way and serve with tomato sauce and back olives.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 06:24:45 PM »
Thanks, everyone!

The hard part is which recipe to try first! ;D They all sound delicious.

I'll show them to DD#2 and let her decide . . . I'll let you know what happens, maybe we'll be eating salmon for the next 2 weeks ;)

Chip2

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 11:10:16 AM »
I have two methods for my salmon.  I always make sure I grab wild salmon fillets; they taste better and, from an environmental standpoint, are much better than the farm-raised stuff.

Grilled/Broiled:  Marinade the salmon in citrus of your choice, olive oil, dill, salt, and pepper.  Grill over hot charcoal (smoky goodness!) or broil until done to taste.

Glazed:  Mix a beer of your choice with maple syrup, honey, or molasses, and reduce until thick.  Season the salmon with salt and pepper, brush on a light coat of the glaze, and grill or broil to almost done.  Brush on more glaze if desired.  Warning:  the sugars will caramelize and burn quickly, so if the heat is very high hold off on the coating until the last couple of minutes.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 11:14:37 AM »
I marinate in 1 cup sake, 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce, 1 inch fresh ginger, 2 cloves garlic & 2 tbsp brown sugar.  Blend all that in a blender (no need for chopping, super easy) and pour into ziploc with the salmon.  Either bake or cook in a pan.

Or, make a little pocket with foil, pour in a little white whine, add a few slices of lemon & some capers, wrap up the foil packet & bake. 

I love salmon with mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower.  It's also good with Asian noodles or on top of a salad.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 09:45:47 AM »
I love it poached in a little white wine, and baked, and grilled, and- well, I just love it! I wouldn't try beer batter- it works great for halibut but not for salmon.

*makes a note to dig out some salmon for Saturday night*
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: Salmon recipies . . . please. Question #20.
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 04:06:31 PM »
We have a recipe that sounds insane but it's easy and delicious.

We soak salmon filets in lemon juice for about 15 minutes.

Now comes the crazy part.  We dredge the salmon in granulated sugar and sear it in a hot skillet.

The sugar immediately caramelizes and seals in the juices.  Cooking time is only a few minutes and the finished fish is only mildly sweet but has a slight crunch.

We like this with a green salad and cold sesame noodles.

This is what we're going to try tonight. I'm going to serve it with a wild rice dish and a side salad. I'm really getting hungry!

I also bought a couple extra pieces of salmon that I'm going to use for the salmon chowder that Elfmama suggested. I'll bake those pieces separately without the sugar.

Thipu1 -- do you sear the salmon in a plain pan or do you use olive oil/butter? Do you flip the salmon 1/2 way through?

SheltieMom

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 10:40:56 PM »
I keep individually vacuum sealed salmon fillets in the freezer at all times, because it's so quick and easy to make. Our favorite recipe is to sprinkle both sides with garlic sauce and dill weed, then brown on both sides in a nonstick skillet sprayed with butter flavored spray. Reduce the heat to low, and add some white wine and soy sauce and cook until flaky. (Only takes about 5-7 minutes) I like to serve it with a lemon/butter sauce. (Lemon juice and butter or margarine, with some garlic and parsley. Microwave until the butter melts.)

This is one of the very few recipes that every one of my picky-eater family members not only eats, but really enjoys.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 04:24:36 PM »
I keep individually vacuum sealed salmon fillets in the freezer at all times, because it's so quick and easy to make.

This is a good idea . . . especially since the meal went over so well!

Thipu1 -- I will make that recipe again. (I have to try a few others, first ;)) It was really good.

I didn't get to make the chowder -- somehow the leftovers disappeared.

Thanks, all, for helping me add a new thing to my menu roster! ;D

Nora

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2012, 05:34:34 AM »
1 cup of creme fraiche
0,5 cup of pesto

Put salmon fillets in glass baking dish skin side up. Poor in the stirred creme fraiche and pesto mixture. Bake uncovered at f 365 for about 20 minutes. Serve with rice and a green salad. Easiest thing in the world.

It's also delicious to put a crust on top made up of chopped cashews. Mmmmm salmon. I bought a lot when it was on sale, and now I want to get some out of the freezer!
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

Mikayla

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, 11:57:51 AM »

1 cup of creme fraiche
0,5 cup of pesto

Put salmon fillets in glass baking dish skin side up. Poor in the stirred creme fraiche and pesto mixture. Bake uncovered at f 365 for about 20 minutes. Serve with rice and a green salad. Easiest thing in the world.

It's also delicious to put a crust on top made up of chopped cashews. Mmmmm salmon. I bought a lot when it was on sale, and now I want to get some out of the freezer!

That sounds awesome.  Can you estimate how much salmon you used?  I need a salmon recipe for our family cookbook and they want something different!  Also, on the cashews, are you saying you used them with this dish, or as something else?

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2012, 12:14:48 PM »
Broil the salmon and top with this relish:
Pulse to a coarse texture in food processer:
Mango
1/2 fresh jalapeno, seeded
1/4 jicama
Salt & pepper to taste
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2012, 03:26:44 PM »
Dredge four salmon fillets in a spice mixture (I use brown sugar, chili powder, cinnamon, salt, and cumin), arrange in greased baking dish (if you like, you can sprinkle remaining spice mix on top of the fillets) and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 17-20 minutes or until fish flakes easily. Yum.

Nora

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2012, 03:50:59 PM »
1 cup of creme fraiche
0,5 cup of pesto

That sounds awesome.  Can you estimate how much salmon you used?  I need a salmon recipe for our family cookbook and they want something different!  Also, on the cashews, are you saying you used them with this dish, or as something else?

I use 4 fillets for a family of 3 adults and a 5 year old. The cashews go very well with red pesto, for traditional pesto I'd probably prefer pistachios. I love salmon, and it's probably the only thing cheaper in Norway than other countries (ask me about Norwegian taxes, I dare ya), it's ridiculously healthy, and very yummie so I get it when I can.

ETA: I don't crust the skin side, so if you add a crust to the original recipe turn the fillets around!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:53:10 PM by Nora »
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2012, 09:23:49 PM »

Good salmon has a wonderful flavour on its own, so I tend to cook it simply.  I like taking fillets, sauteeing them in butter (fish side down first, then flip and cook the skin side), and serving with a squeeze of lemon juice.  I love crispy fried salmon skin!  I'll serve it with rice, salad and steamed vegetables for a simple dish.

I also love salmon sashimi, but you have to be careful about the quality of the fish if you want to make it at home.  Salmon is much more prone to parasites than other types of fish used for sushi, because it is partially a river fish. In the US, fish for sashimi must be flash frozen to kill parasites.

One of my absolute favourite, but rarely enjoyed salmon dishes is whole stuffed barbecued salmon, done with a smallish fish. However, this usually requires catching your own fish as the first step.

I use dry smoked salmon in pasta dishes (the dry smoked is cooked as it smokes, and has a stronger smoky taste than the raw lox style), tossed with asparagus, dill, and a light cream sauce.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 02:40:48 AM »

I found this in one of my recipe books and has been modified by me many times. I'm a terrible cook with no patience and this is my favorite easy way to make salmon.

Thaw salmon filets
Preheat oven to 350 degrees or so
Rinse filets and pat dry
Sprinkle some bread crumbs and whatever spices you like - curry, lemon & pepper, basil, tomato, mustard, dill ... whatever you like, it's hard to mess up salmon...put that all in a shallow plate and then pat it into the salmon.
Put the salmon on a piece of tinfoli and pop it into the oven for 10 - 12 minutes. Take it out and let it cool. Eat.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem