News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 22, 2017, 07:49:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weird pet behavior: what is going on? SO much weirder! #14  (Read 6028 times)

MorgnsGrl

Re: Weird pet behavior: what is going on? SO much weirder! #14
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 06:38:49 PM »
FYI - Cat saliva contains some kind of bacteria that is harmless to cats but very toxic to birds, so I think the extended grooming sessions should be halted if possible. I can imagine it being both adorable and perplexing that they're so into each other!

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 06:50:14 PM »
Perhaps they are gaslighting you?  Or they saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5HgghQB6YE&feature=related

Nora

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 06:54:24 PM »
FYI - Cat saliva contains some kind of bacteria that is harmless to cats but very toxic to birds, so I think the extended grooming sessions should be halted if possible. I can imagine it being both adorable and perplexing that they're so into each other!

I'll move the kitchen table further away so they can't touch. Hope that won't end in Steve vocalizing his displeasure for hours on end.  :-\
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

Dr. F.

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 07:10:16 PM »
They're flockmates. They're having a good grooming session. What's weird? :D

I once came home to find Mango (Senegal) and all 4 cats lined up in a neat row on the floor looking out the sliding glass door. I damned near had heart failure! Mango seemed unphased by the whole thing - she was particularly chattery that night. Clearly, she'd had a particularly interesting and exciting day and felt the need to tell me all about it. That was the day I realized that she can lift the doors to her food dishes if I don't throw the little clasp to the closed position.

JoieGirl7

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 10:34:37 PM »
I think you have a good topic for a children's book.

Melde

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 12:58:47 AM »
To my knowledge, cats will groom others that they are close to, in a bonding way. The parrot might reciprocate given the circumstances. So you seem to have a very close interspecies relationship going.

Nox

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 01:04:21 AM »
Parrots are pretty social animals, right? Steve needs a buddy and has formed a relationship with the cat. As long as the cat's fine with it, Steve's probably happier this way.

Oh, and you absolutely must fine a way to get this stuff on video. This is YouTube gold, at the least.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 01:27:28 AM »
We had two dogs, brother and sister and they used to um, pleasure each other, in a sort of 69 fashion.  :o Sadly both are deceased now, but they did have fun. We had two other dogs who used to kiss each other too on the lips.

Victoria

Nika

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 10:56:45 AM »
Oh, Nora. Don't stand in the way of their forbidden love!  ;D
"I am, in fact, a hobbit in all but size."

lkdrymom

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 12:36:55 PM »
We have a peach fronted connure (Toots) who is terrified of our two older cats. Cats are even more scared of her.  Last year we adopted 2 Maine Coons. For some reason she has no fear of these two potentially massive cats. Vinnie likes to sit on her cage. Now at 16+ pounds we had to stop that as the cage won't hold his weight. His little brother Rudi has a fondness for our parakeet Pete. Pete does not share the love. Rudi has a ritual that he has to 'tuck' Pete in at night. When my DH is covering the cages Rudi has to give one last peek under the cover at Pete...which really irks Pete.  Both birds know how to say "here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty". I taught Pete this but DH told me not to teach it to Toots...didn't have to, Pete did it for me.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 12:42:37 PM »

I'll move the kitchen table further away so they can't touch. Hope that won't end in Steve vocalizing his displeasure for hours on end.  :-\

Ahhhh, they're just licking each other. 
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 12:44:36 PM »

Or tasting  >:D

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Nora

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 02:02:54 PM »
Bob thinks tasting.

squeakers

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 04:23:14 PM »

Which as posted can be very dangerous to the bird: http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/topten.html

I have a household of cats, dogs and a cockatoo. The small dog is very interested in the cockatoo.. the cockatoo is very jealous of the small dog.  I worry more about the parrot biting the Chihuahua than the other way around but anything could happen.  Including one of the cats attacking the parrot to protect the Chihuahua.  A bite or claw mark can introduce bacteria that would kill the parrot within days.  Unfortunately, since birds are prey animals, they tend to hide illness so you only know they are sick when they are deathly ill or.. are dead.

So moving the table a bit is a very good idea, IMO.  They can socialize without physically touching.

Another thing of concern is if your bird bonds to the cat you may have problems of him attacking you for petting the cat/interacting with the cat.  We went through 2 years of that when the 'Too decided I was his instead of him being my husband's bird.  Thankfully it has tapered off to only twice a year where he wants nothing to do with my husband and I have to do all his cage care.  The 'Too lacerated hubby's hands multiple times and was sticking his head out of the cage to bite anyone walking by except for me.  A new cage helped with that.. well, until he broke the welds of the bars on that cage too. It's almost time for a new cage.  But what is another $800 to having a usually very affectionate member of the family?
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Nora

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2012, 02:35:58 AM »
I'm not worried about Steve biting. He's just cranky in a verbally demonstrative way. I moved the table a little and there has been no protests. They seem quite happy, Whiny watches Steve play while they "talk about their day". It could not be more ridiculous if they where holding cups of tea.