News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 22, 2017, 02:44:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weird pet behavior: what is going on? SO much weirder! #14  (Read 6033 times)

Eeep!

Re: Weird pet behavior: what is going on? SO much weirder! #14
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2012, 11:34:34 AM »
I have nothing much to add except to say that I love this whole scenario!  ;D
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Jaelle

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2012, 05:28:35 PM »
POD. And I really want to see pictures. :)
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”
― Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

Nora

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2012, 09:09:21 AM »
I'm lazy. Pics will come when the following threads come together:

1. Steve and Whiny don't notice me creeping around the kitchendoor with my cameraphone. This is hard people! I have a bajillion pics of the cats backside with Steves beak somewhere in the frame.  ::)

2. I manage the shot of whatever they are doing with my crappy crappy cameraphone. It waits a random amount of seconds after you've pressed down the shutterbutton before it takes the picture. Hence the quality shots I mentioned above. 

3. I in a fit of organizedness actually upload the picture.

It'll happen. Possibly even this weekend as the kid is away, and Nick, Bob and I have nothing better to do than stake out the kitchen.  ;)
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

MerryCat

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2012, 12:37:41 PM »
I'm not worried about Steve biting. He's just cranky in a verbally demonstrative way. I moved the table a little and there has been no protests. They seem quite happy, Whiny watches Steve play while they "talk about their day". It could not be more ridiculous if they where holding cups of tea.

That is so adorable! Is it wrong that I'm imagining them wearing pearls and fru-fru hats?

I have kind of a weird why-does-my-cat-do-that question too. Cassie, like most cats, likes to knead blankets, especially if they're in a nice, big, tangled mess. But she kneads with both her front and her hind feet, with her back weirdly hunched over. It almost looks like she's squatting to pee, but she isn't. She's just kneading with all her legs. The weirdest bit is that every once she'll yowl like her heart is breaking. If you go over to see what's wrong though, she just stares coldly as if to say "yes? what do you want?" or stalks away angrily. So, any theories why she's doing this? And why does she yowl if she doesn't want our attention? My theory is that she's reliving some sort of kneading related trauma lol.

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
I'm not worried about Steve biting. He's just cranky in a verbally demonstrative way. I moved the table a little and there has been no protests. They seem quite happy, Whiny watches Steve play while they "talk about their day". It could not be more ridiculous if they where holding cups of tea.

That is so adorable! Is it wrong that I'm imagining them wearing pearls and fru-fru hats?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Nora

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2012, 10:55:53 AM »
That cat looks like she's trying to make it rain death!
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

SpottedPony

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2012, 11:12:38 AM »
To get pictures/video of this most interesting behavior, I'd suggest setting your camera up on a tripod and after making sure that it is aimed properly, just let it become part of the scenery.  Then at random times as you pass by, take a quick picture or turn the video on for a few seconds/minutes even if they aren't engaging in this behavior.  Because if you just leave the camera handy and try to take pictures of them when they are discussing their day, just as you are ready to take a picture, they'll stop and do something else.  Then you'll put the camera down and they'll go back to doing what what you want the picture of and stop when you try again to get the picture.  This will give them a chance to get use to seeing/hearing the camera and to ignore it.

If they have a set time for doing this, then you could try turning the camera on a few minutes before they start and turn it off after they are done.  They might be less likely to notice it and be more interested in conversing with each other. 

Good luck and I hope you can get some videos of them, it sounds like it would be really funny.

Spotted Pony