Author Topic: Birthday Party  (Read 4128 times)

LilacGirl1983

Birthday Party
« on: January 30, 2012, 02:56:05 PM »
Hey I have a question for those who have much more experience then I in hosting :) We are having a birthday party for an adult (my room mate) . There will be anywhere from 30-40 people. There will be 7 kids out of those numbers. I am planning on making sloppy joes, nacho cheese dip/chips, then having macaroni salad, and fruit platters. Also having cake and cupcakes and rice crispy bars.

I was wondering how much hamburger/buns do I need?
I was planning on buying 3 big buckets of macaroni salad. Do you think that will be enough?

I also ordered 1/4 sheet cake and 20 cupcakes..will that be enough? The lady said the sheet cake feeds about 20 people but only 2 x 2 squares..and not sure if I can cut that small..

I just don't want to run out of food. It will be at a hotel in a room by the pool. Any advice is welcome..its a surprise for the roomate so I am doing all the planning/cooking and feeling overwhelmed..I also am trying to hid the food from my room mate

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Birthday Party
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 03:07:58 PM »
I think you need to have about 50-60 buns in case anyone wants seconds and in case some are squished or otherwise messed up. If buying in bags of 8, I'd get 7 bags.  But knowing me, I'd end up throwing an 8th into my cart "just in case". 

Not sure how big of tubs you are referncing.  But if it is sold by the pound, I'd think 8 servings per pound so I'd go with 5 pounds. 

On the cake, I've always been told a 1/4 sheet is 24 servings and a 1/2 sheet is 48.  So if going with the 1/4 sheet, then I'd get 2 to 3 doz cupcakes. 

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 03:45:38 PM »
I would get 80 buns (2 per person), and 30 cupcakes.  I know there are usually tons of cake leftover, but it's better to have more than one serving per person just in case.

edited because of incorrect math.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 04:27:25 PM by rose red »

POF

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 03:53:26 PM »
Besides nothing is yummier than leftover birthday cake. I particulary like it if the icing hardens up a bit.......

When is the party ... sounds yummy - I'll be there with 10 friends and my badly behaved dog :) >:D

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 03:53:31 PM »
One serving per person of cake may not be enough and I always plan more, "just in case." 

As for the buns, I'd also plan for the adults to have 2 burgers each.  Many may not, but again, it's better to have food left over than not enough.  The amounts you posted seems like "just enough" but it doesn't leave room for any mistakes, etc. 

kudeebee

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 05:31:06 PM »
I figure 1.5 buns per person, so 6oish buns should be right.  Four tubs of macaroni salad should be enough, people never take as big a helping as you think.  Or get two macaroni, one potato salad and one cole slaw for some variety and if a person doesn't like one of those, they have other choices.

In my experience, people never eat as much cake as you think, so what you have planned should be fine.  If anything, err on the side of more cupcakes.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 05:45:07 PM »
You need more cupcakes.  People tend to take more than one.  I think you will have better luck with a half sheet than guesstimating how many cupcakes and possibly running out. 

three tubs of Macaroni salad is good if you are talking the bigger plastic tubs from the deli.   

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 06:11:02 PM »
Is there a reason for cupcakes and cake other than different flavors?  If so you can probably order a 1/2 sheet cake with two different flavors (ex. one half chocolate/one half vanilla). 

I agree with the 1.5 servings each for burgers/buns so 60 is good guesstimate.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 06:50:10 PM »
Maybe mix up the salads?

Macaroni, coleslaw and maybe a potato salad (optional) or a fresh garden salad?

I'd like to see more fresh veggies in your menu, hence the coleslaw/fresh garden salad idea.

Or instead of a fresh garden salad maybe a couple of trays of fresh-cut veggies along with your fruit trays.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 03:32:21 AM »
is this a pool party/spend the day swimming? or is there a set time (start/finish)?  cause i'm thinking that if people will be in and out of the pool, they will be hungry.

i like the idea of mixing up salads - macaroni, potato, cole slaw and maybe a big bowl of fresh salad or a platter of fresh veggies.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

LilacGirl1983

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 10:09:42 AM »
The macaroni salad is from the deli. There is a swimming pool. The time frame is from 4pm-7pm. I figure food would be served from 4-5:30 then cake/soda available. I do like the ideas of adding more types of salad. The numbers just reached 35 people. I wasn't expecting this many people to come! Tbh I was expecting maybe 10-15 people at the most..well life is full of surprises. I have 10 pounds of hamburger will that be enough to feed that many people in a sloppy joe mix? I am using the canned sloppy joe mix..

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 10:20:53 AM »
Maybe you can also put out bowls of nuts or crackers/cheese?  So far, the only protein is the burgers which may not be enough for big eaters or those hungry (again) from swimming.

lowspark

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 10:35:59 AM »
For forty people at 1/4 lb meat per person, 10 lb is just barely enough. I'd probably do 13-15 lbs and be ok with leftovers. It's always better to have too much food than not enough.

And I'd probably add some more snacky things. Another chip & dip such as potato chips & Onion dip. Maybe raw veggies &  ranch dip. I like the idea of cheese & crackers which are very easy to do. Just buy a few large chunks of cheese and set them out with a knife for each kind and some crackers. Very popular and very easy. Another easy filling appetizer is to take a block of cream cheese and top it with a sweet/hot pepper jelly. Serve with crackers.

And I'm wondering about serving the food at 4. I'd let people hang out and swim and socialize for a while before serving the food. I'd probably put out the snacky things at 4, and let people know that the main dinner will be served at 6. Otherwise people will eat, then won't be able to swim, and the purpose of having it by the pool will be lost.

I also don't see the point of doing both a cake and cupcakes. I'm guessing you were thinking cupcakes for the kids? I wouldn't bother. Instead I'd do the cake, the rice krispie bars, and maybe one more dessert such as brownies or cookies. Something easy to eat by the pool.

When you're feeding 40 people, you need to have enough of the main item PLUS enough variety so that people have enough to eat to supplement the main item. If you have a bunch of munchies and ample desserts, one sloppy joe sandwich should be enough for most people. Most, not all, though, so make sure to have enough for those who do want seconds.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 10:40:07 AM »
For forty people at 1/4 lb meat per person, 10 lb is just barely enough. I'd probably do 13-15 lbs and be ok with leftovers. It's always better to have too much food than not enough.

And I'd probably add some more snacky things. Another chip & dip such as potato chips & Onion dip. Maybe raw veggies &  ranch dip. I like the idea of cheese & crackers which are very easy to do. Just buy a few large chunks of cheese and set them out with a knife for each kind and some crackers. Very popular and very easy. Another easy filling appetizer is to take a block of cream cheese and top it with a sweet/hot pepper jelly. Serve with crackers.

And I'm wondering about serving the food at 4. I'd let people hang out and swim and socialize for a while before serving the food. I'd probably put out the snacky things at 4, and let people know that the main dinner will be served at 6. Otherwise people will eat, then won't be able to swim, and the purpose of having it by the pool will be lost.

I also don't see the point of doing both a cake and cupcakes. I'm guessing you were thinking cupcakes for the kids? I wouldn't bother. Instead I'd do the cake, the rice krispie bars, and maybe one more dessert such as brownies or cookies. Something easy to eat by the pool.

When you're feeding 40 people, you need to have enough of the main item PLUS enough variety so that people have enough to eat to supplement the main item. If you have a bunch of munchies and ample desserts, one sloppy joe sandwich should be enough for most people. Most, not all, though, so make sure to have enough for those who do want seconds.

good points. i would also add some extra protein (hot dogs? chicken wings? mini kababs?)

cake - it's been my experience that if you have birthday cake, you don't really need anything else. YMMV. (same goes for cheesecake)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 10:48:20 AM »

Agree with all points.  The cream cheese with pepper jelly is much cheaper option than high end cheeses too. 

On the number of sandwhiches to plan for, you need to decide if you are doing the normal smallish size buns (think store brand buns) or the lager ones.  If the smaller, I think you'll find more people go back for a second one after swimming.