Author Topic: Plain Tacky: No, More Like Plain Criminal etacky0523-00  (Read 12741 times)

Lillie82

Plain Tacky: No, More Like Plain Criminal etacky0523-00
« on: January 30, 2012, 11:40:41 PM »

From the older main site:

I don't throw parties much anymore, because of this one:

Years ago, my roommate and I were asked by a couple of friends if we'd host a birthday party for a mutual friend. We said we'd be happy to. They said they'd handle the invitations and bring refreshments, so all we needed to do was provide the space.

The day of the party, my roommate's girlfriend had a crisis at school and he went to help her with it. We figured it would be no problem since I was home. However, shortly after he left, I started to run a fever, and by the time the 'hosts' arrived, I was horribly sick. I trusted them to take care of things, so I went into my room with a pitcher of water and crawled into bed.

I dozed off, and was woken by a knock on my door. It was one of the guests, who had brought some guy with her and wanted to know if I'd vacate my bed for a while so she could have sex with him.  :o (where's the jaw-drop smiley? Seriously.) I was far more polite than she deserved in my refusal. She got huffy with me, as though I were being horribly unreasonable.  :o

I was awakened again an hour or so later when the 'hosts' knocked and told me things weren't really going the way they'd envisioned so they were leaving. I was pretty much delirious with fever at that point and didn't realize the implications, so I just mumbled something and they left. I figured I could trust our friends to behave themselves. I'll never be *that* stupid again.

Around one in the morning, my roommate got back. I heard a lot of yelling and banging around for a while, and then things got quiet. The roomie woke me up to tell me how things had played out. It seems that after the 'hosts' left, some people had decided to get the birthday girl really drunk. The party had wound up in my roommate's waterbed, where the guest of honor had vomited copiously some time after having sex with an unknown number of the other guests.  :o It was not clear afterward whether she'd been entirely aware of events at the time, but she seemed remarkably unconcerned when we told her about it the next morning. :o

We never did figure out who managed to clog the toilet so thoroughly, or with what.

The absentee 'hosts' later apologized profusely. The guest who'd tried to borrow my bed later borrowed my boyfriend. The guy who decided to get the birthday girl drunk is in prison for trying to kidnap his own girlfriend. I'm not surprised - not much of a stretch from what he did at the party! And I'm still looking for that 'better class of people' I ought to be hanging around with. I'm sure they must exist somewhere.   

Another one for the "I thought I'd seen / heard everything / just when you think people can't get any worse category." The information early in the story that the OP was sick keeps me from being too harsh on her for being clueless or spineless.

I really did want the jaw-drop icon at several places, and also wanted a cheering icon for after "I was more polite than she deserved..." I know that's it's hard for me to get out of bed, let alone deal with anything, when I'm that sick. But honestly, it's too bad no one had the sense to call the police!

Asharah

Re: Plain Tacky: No, More Like Plain Criminal etacky0523-00
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 11:43:36 PM »
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 01:26:55 AM by Asharah »
Asharah

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Iris

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 02:45:59 AM »
I can't imagine it would be THAT hard to find a better class of people than THAT lot...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 04:26:59 AM »
The closest I've ever come to this is going to a "friend's" party. She threw it when her parents went away. Had my parents known there would be no adults there, I wouldn't have been able to go (it was never said that her parents wouldn't be there, looking back I should really have known they wouldn't be, but I was 16 and clueless). The host and her friends got absolutely wasted on the alcohol in her parents' cupboards and the party was crashed by a load of 18 year olds. I got scared and rang my Dad. He came to pick me up and ended up yelling at everyone to get out as the Police were on their way. I didn't drink alcohol, but several of my friends had. The kids who crashed the party made an absolute mess of the house, throwing up, breaking things...two windows were broken, the glass in the door had been smashed and the family cat ran away. I felt awful and really wished I hadn't had to see that. The girl who threw the party wasn't a great friend of mine, just a girl from my year. She was in the "popular" group and I wanted to be liked. :( It didn't work. I was mercilessly teased afterwards because I didn't drink alcohol, called "lightweight", "creep" and "weird".  In my life I have only been to one other house party, held by a real friend on Millennium New Years' Eve, it was great, all of us drank but nobody got drunk and the house was left intact! :)
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 05:20:06 AM »
When I was a student, two of my flatmate's freinds came round and asked if they could have sex in my bed, because flatmate had said they couldn't use hers. I refused. Ick.
NE England

Coley

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »
When I was a freshman in college and living in a dorm, my roommate's fiance came to visit one weekend. They had planned for me to stay in the room of another girl down the hall so they could stay together in our room. However, the other girl left for the weekend and didn't provide a key for me. When it became apparent that I was homeless for the weekend, I knocked on the door of my own room and was told to go away. I spent that night in the boys' dorm sleeping on a friend's couch. The next day, I marched back to my room. I told my roommate and her fiance that I was the paying resident. Their choices were to find a motel or have their fun while I was in the room. They chose the motel, but wanted me to pay half the bill. Um, no.

She got pregnant that weekend. Shortly thereafter, she dumped the fiance and started an affair with a teaching assistant who was married. In desperation for cash, she tried to sell drugs out of our dorm room. I turned her in. Not surprisingly, she didn't come back to school in the fall.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 05:52:55 PM »
I can't imagine it would be THAT hard to find a better class of people than THAT lot...

My mind, she is blown.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Dr_Manners

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 09:57:47 AM »

POD to infinity!
This is a random question...but, what does "POD" mean?  I've seen it a number of times on here, and I'm at a loss on that one.   :-[

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 10:00:51 AM »
'Pod' is a board-specific word. It just means agreement i.e. "We are peas in a pod."
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Dr_Manners

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 10:12:02 AM »
'Pod' is a board-specific word. It just means agreement i.e. "We are peas in a pod."
Ah!  Thank you for educating me on that!  ;D

Xandraea

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 09:33:54 PM »

[/quote]This is a random question...but, what does "POD" mean?  I've seen it a number of times on here, and I'm at a loss on that one.   :-[
[/quote]

Thank you SO much for asking this!! I was wondering the same thing.  :)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 11:05:55 PM »
This is a random question...but, what does "POD" mean?  I've seen it a number of times on here, and I'm at a loss on that one.   :-[

Thank you SO much for asking this!! I was wondering the same thing.  :)

We have an abbreviations thread, if there is anything else you are wondering about. :)

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=3.0
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

weeblewobble

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 09:00:12 AM »
Hollanda, you're not alone.  I lost a couple of friends in high school because I was too afraid of consequences to drink, try drugs or cigarettes or sneak out.  I was a "baby" and "boring," so my middle school friends went to hang out with other people.  That was OK, because I was involved in a lot of school activities and found new friends.

Most of our parties consisted of getting together at someone's home when the parents were present, ordering pizza and watching movies.  Sometimes there was music and (rhthym-free, embarrassing) dancing.  That was about as wild as it got.

The most memorable party we had was when one of our friend's garage band had gotten permission from his parents (and his very nice neighbors) to do a concert one night in the backyard.  Because we'd had several parties at their house without messes or incidents, they trusted us and went out for the night.  The band was pretty good and were having a really good time, until host friend's Idiot Older Brother showed up.  IOB was known for partying hard in high school, had gone off to college, partied hard and flunked out. So now, he was living at home and recapturing his glory days by partying with high school kids.  IOB and a few of his lackeys showed up with a bunch of beer. Most of us declined when offered beer, so we were "boring" and IOB called MORE of his friends.  So our party was taken over by an infestation of idiots.  Eventually, the host friend got so irritated that the band stopped playing, packed up their stuff and most of our friends moved to a different house.

The IOB party moved inside the house and broke a bunch of stuff. Host friend's parents were angry at IOB.  IOB learned nothing at all and continued his IOB ways. Host friend learned not to have parties at his house any more, because IOB and his herd of thundering idiots would invade.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 09:36:07 AM »
My parents came up with a wonderful compromise for my 18th birthday party. They went next door, so that if there were any problems I could get them immediately.
NE England