Author Topic: Class Reunion  (Read 2470 times)

puggranny

Class Reunion
« on: January 31, 2012, 12:27:08 PM »
I am help to plan for my 30 year class reunion. I am trying to make it economical . One girls swears it would be trashy to have it BYOB because adding alcohol into budget makes cost go up. I am trying to keep it at $30 a person. Which is for 2 nights. SO what is e-hell would BYOB be tacky for a class reunion????

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: Class Reunion
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 12:34:22 PM »
I think so. I think a better idea would be limited bar (wine beer soft drinks only) or free water, coffee/tea, soft drinks and 1 or 2 drink tickets (even to limited bar) and cash bar beyond that.

I tend to think BYOB is tacky to anything beyond the most casual of events. BBQ or backyard bonfire? Sure BYOB. Offical reunion people will be traveling to and planning around? Tacky.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 12:36:40 PM »
Personally, I think a BYOB for an event as significant as a 30 year class reunion would be tacky.  $30 for 2 nights worth of events?  That's insanely inexpensive.  My 30 year reunion was this past summer, and tickets to the weekend's events were in the $150 range.  Dinners, music, dancing, the venue, were included in this cost.  I believe the bar was no-host, so whoever wanted to purchase drinks could, and those who didn't want to, didn't have to.

BYOB is fine for some things, but not a class reunion, IMO.  It is nice that you'd like to keep costs down, but there are other ways to *not* pay for alcohol, while keeping the event classy.

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 12:42:08 PM »
My 20th reunion was last fall.  We reserved a private room at a restaurant/bar and it was cash bar.  No cover.  This was decided via Facebook survey and people said it was more fun and affordable than a formal affair with tickets.

cattlekid

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 01:09:40 PM »
Since I always have to travel for my class reunions, I would hate a BYOB.   I can't drink beer or wine, so I would have to run around to multiple stores buying hard liquor and a mixer (where I grew up, you can't get liquor in the grocery store).  Plus, would I have to bring my own glasses, ice, etc?   Lots of logistics to work around.

I POD the previous suggestions for a cash bar.

jmarvellous

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 01:26:05 PM »
First, I think people will gladly pay $50 (or much more) for two nights of a reunion.

Second, cash bar is a great idea. BYOB is not going to work well for this sort of event.

puggranny

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 04:11:39 PM »
The places we are holdinf do not have a bar. One night is at a classmates house and I am worried about liability issues- one class member is a lawyer and he agreed on liability.  The second night again does not have a bar. So both places we would have to purchase and furnish the alcohol and carry the resp of serving it.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 06:28:35 PM »
The places we are holdinf do not have a bar. One night is at a classmates house and I am worried about liability issues- one class member is a lawyer and he agreed on liability.  The second night again does not have a bar. So both places we would have to purchase and furnish the alcohol and carry the resp of serving it.

Are these plans set in stone?

lolane

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 06:38:40 PM »
I agree that BYOB would be tacky for a 30 year reunion. I also think that $30 is really inexpensive, especially for 2 nights. My 10 year reunion was a few years ago, and I believe the tickets were $25 and that was just for one night.

To save money on alcohol, we purchased wine and beer (we found really good deals by shopping around), and to help with liability, we provided 2 drink tickets per person. Those who wished to drink more had to purchase more tickets. While it wasn't ideal, I think it's better than having a BYOB situation.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 07:30:22 PM »
I don't see it as tacky.  I would prefer a BYOB event where I could choose to bring a small amount of alcohol or pop if I were attending on a budget, rather than an event with steep ticket prices (saw someone mention $150 upthread -- yikes!  No way I'd ever spend that in a single day). 

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 08:06:11 PM »
The only way I can see this working at all is if the graduating class (or at least the expected attendance) is very small, like under 30 people, and the attendees are all pretty close friends.  The larger the party the harder BYOB is, even if it's a very casual BBQ-type affair.  It seems like when there are more people (and sometimes when there are fewer) inevitably, someone ends up taking advantage of the variety of beverages available and drinks things they didn't bring.  The only real way to combat this is to have everyone bring separate mini-coolers or boxes/bags with their own personal stuff in it, and then you have to find a place to put all these things, etc.  It just seems like hurt feelings and rudeness waiting to happen.

Is this how your 10-year and 20-year were done?  None of my reunions have been this way, but I was part of a larger graduating class from a private school and the expected party was something more formal - for my 20th there was a meet-and-greet on Friday, a golf tournament or a boat tour on Saturday, a dinner and dance at a hotel on Saturday night, and then a brunch on Sunday.  If you wanted to participate in everything it was quite expensive - the meet and greet was $40 (included a live combo and passed hors d'oeuvres, bar was no-host) and the dinner/dance was $90, or you could purchase a dance-only ticket for $30 which got you in the door at 9 p.m. and helped cover the charge for the DJ.  Again, the bar was no-host.  My 30th is coming up and is already in the planning stages and it will likely be something similar this time around.  I'd probably be thrown off by a change to BYOB for it and wonder what prompted the change.

If you determine that BYOB is appropriate for your group and it has worked successfully in the past for your reunions (so that the attendees are expecting it) then go for it, but do take into consideration how to keep people from thinking that the beverages are free-for-all just because they are all in the same cooler or fridge.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 08:37:44 PM »
I grew up in a "dry" county so having a BYOB reunion would be perfectly fine. 

I've never been to a BYOB event where I had to provide my own mixer or glass.  Sodas, water, juice (cranberry, orange, grapefruit), and tonic are normally available, as are lemons and lime slices.  High ball, wine, beer mug and old fashion glasses are normally avialabe as is the ice.  Most guests know to either bring a "pre-mixed" cocktail if it is complicated or plan to drink a more simple drink. 

It also helps with a little harmony.  The non-drinkers do not want to pay a higher entry fee to subsidize the cost of a bartender, let alone pay for any of the alcohol. 

Given your dollar limit, this doesn't sound like a group that is expecting a gourmet dinner and elegant evening.  But an opportunity to visit and catch up.  I think BYOB would be fine.  I'm more concerned about how you will pay for an event space the second night and some form of food with the limited budget. 

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 10:22:21 AM »
I don't see it as tacky.  I would prefer a BYOB event where I could choose to bring a small amount of alcohol or pop if I were attending on a budget, rather than an event with steep ticket prices (saw someone mention $150 upthread -- yikes!  No way I'd ever spend that in a single day). 

It was actually an entire weekend's events.  A couple of dinners, music, dancing, and golf.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 11:25:38 AM »

It was actually an entire weekend's events.  A couple of dinners, music, dancing, and golf.

Oh!  That makes more sense.  Somehow I interpreted your post as meaning the tickets for *each* of the weekend's events were $150 individually, which would be completely nuts  :D   

amylouky

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 11:40:59 AM »
I'm just going to have to dissent here and say, no WAY would I be responsible for providing alcohol to a bunch of people that I don't know well, many of whom I may not have seen for 30 years. Especially without having insurance, and most definitely not in my home. Actually, in my home, I wouldn't allow alcohol at an event with a bunch of unknown people at all. Which is why I'd probably not agree  to have it at my home.

That being said.. the caterer that we used for our wedding offered a bartender service, either as part of their catering or as a standalone package. They could do it either as open bar, or as pay-per-drink, and they were covered by their liability insurance. Maybe you could look into something like this?