Author Topic: Class Reunion  (Read 2464 times)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: Class Reunion
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 12:14:45 PM »
The only way I can see this working at all is if the graduating class (or at least the expected attendance) is very small, like under 30 people, and the attendees are all pretty close friends.  The larger the party the harder BYOB is, even if it's a very casual BBQ-type affair.  It seems like when there are more people (and sometimes when there are fewer) inevitably, someone ends up taking advantage of the variety of beverages available and drinks things they didn't bring.  The only real way to combat this is to have everyone bring separate mini-coolers or boxes/bags with their own personal stuff in it, and then you have to find a place to put all these things, etc.  It just seems like hurt feelings and rudeness waiting to happen.

The thing is, like lots of loosely defined social stuff, BYOB is interpreted differently in different places and among different people.

I have never before been to or before eHell even heard of a strict BYOB where you literally brought what you would drink solely.  Every BYOB I've ever attended and until about 2 years ago heard of was more in line with a drink-potluck.  Everyone brings something to contribute but everyone is free to share in all that is available.  Once you bring it it becomes a community beverage, not the sole drink of the person(s) who brought it.  Otherwise cocktails would be near impossible or would cost a fortune (for example in my circle its not uncommon for someone to bring vermouth, Triple Sec or Peach Schnapps - none of which are generally consumed straight, but rather as an add in into mixed cocktails along with the vodka, gin or whatever that someone else brought.)

So while to your 'norm' of BYOB's taking a drink your didn't bring is "taking advantage" to me its expected.

And when dealing with something like a 30 year reunion, you're going to be dealing with a bunch of people from different social norms.  If you do go with BYOB the terms need to be clearly spelled out way in advance so people know what to expect: will there be sharing?  Will mixers (juice, soda, fruit garnish) be provided or must people bring those as well?  Does "BYOB" mean bring your own beverage *period* or does it mean "bring your own [alcoholic] beverage" but non-alcoholic beverages will be provided?

ETA: also it just occurred to me another "differs by group" thing - who gets the left overs?  In my circle its expected any drinks bought are left with the host (unless the host asked the bringer to take it home because it won't get drank) as a "thank you" for providing the space.  In some circles the left overs are taken home by whomever brought it... which could lead to open container issues if there are laws against it in the area.

Again this would need to be explicitly outlined well in advance as it might affect what people bring.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 12:20:05 PM by WillyNilly »

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 02:14:43 PM »
I'd say no, but where I'm from, the norm for reunions is to have it at a restaurant, banquet facility, or somewhere like that, where open bar is included.  I went to my 25th a year ago, and it was $90 a person, open bar, appetizers, buffet, and that included the DJ.  I do live in a pricier part of the country, but to me, the cost wasn't really all that bad.

I just think there are too many variables to make it work smoothly; people traveling, different expectations of BYOB and so on.

AustenFan

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 02:20:58 PM »
The places we are holdinf do not have a bar. One night is at a classmates house and I am worried about liability issues- one class member is a lawyer and he agreed on liability.  The second night again does not have a bar. So both places we would have to purchase and furnish the alcohol and carry the resp of serving it.

Just as a heads up: if you are in Canada/US a one-two event liquor liability policy is relatively cheap and available through any major insurance broker.