Author Topic: Need enough BBQ for a party *update*  (Read 2514 times)

Roe

• Super Hero!
Need enough BBQ for a party *update*
« on: January 31, 2012, 04:19:29 PM »
Planning to host  a graduation party for my son.  The guest list includes 60 people. (50 adults, 10 children)

How much brisket do you think I would need? There's going to be rice, beans, potato salad and all the fixins.  (typical bbq fare)   I am pretty good at guesstimating the sides but I always OVERDO the amount of meat.  Since I am planning the party from across state lines this time, I would like to be more specific about the food I order. 

BTW..I'm okay with leftovers. I just don't want a ton of them. TIA!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 12:31:19 PM by Roe »

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
Re: Need enough BBQ for a party
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 04:22:49 PM »
I'd estimate 1/2 to 1lb of cooked brisket per-person.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »
And, the good news is that if there are any leftovers, you can always freeze it - and have yummy BBQ leftovers!

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 05:49:45 PM »
I usually love leftovers but this time, the party won't be at my house.  The party is going to be at my mother's home and she won't have room for leftovers.  Plus, it's just her and she doesn't eat meat.  I could tell a few guests to take home leftovers but my mother has a small fridge and I won't even have much room to store them until the guests leave.

In other words, if I order too much...it will just go to waste.  This is why I'd like to be more accurate this time. :)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 06:09:32 PM »
Ah - then go with 3/4 pound for each guest "on average" (more if there are bones - like ribs or chicken) and less if there aren't any bones (brisket comes to mind - but remember that some people may also eat around the fat, not just bones).  Then get a cheap ice chest and some dry ice for emergency supplies to take it somewhere else............?

Because as a Texan - the only place for BBQ to go to "waste" is around my own waist...............yummy, yummy BBQ!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

ncgal

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 06:40:06 PM »
ok, I can't resist....so here goes.

Evil ncgal says that you won't have to worry about any leftovers.  K'hniva and gang will show up (even if not invited) and take care of storage of any and all left overs for ya!

normal ncgal says, I have not a clue, as I always over buy meat too.  Also scared of not having enough.

Oh Joy

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 06:57:43 PM »
Quick question - what kind of graduation party is this?  Reason I ask is that there are two kinds here:
1) Drop-in open house on a weekend the month of the ceremony.  Most guests are popping in and out of different parties throughout the day. 
2) Graduation party at a time where guests will be coming only to this as the main event of the day/evening.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 07:10:57 PM »
Ncgal, you are probably right! ;)

Oh Joy, it's the second.  Invites will be sent for a set time. 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 08:25:30 PM »
I'd go with a 1/4 to 1/3 pound of brisket for each guest but I'd also add in some sausage or chicken as an option.  Depending on how thick the slice, a 1/4 pound of brisket can 1 or 2 slices. 

The703

• Formerly ND Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 10:15:07 AM »
My husband always makes his own pulled pork and he gets two big Boston Butts and throws them on the smoker. We've had parties of around 20 + and we usually have some leftovers. Will you be ordering it already made?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 02:16:42 PM »
This may not be an issue for you, since I believe you're from TX where its hot and humid, but I know at my college grad party, it was unseasonably warm, and we had a TON of food left over since it was so hot, people didn't eat as much as they might have, and it was outside.  Just something else to think about.

Lynda_34

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 11:28:23 PM »
There are always soup kitchens and food pantries who are happy to help with leftovers.
Make contact with them in advance and they'll be happy to help CRIVINS! leftovers.

kudeebee

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 12:05:52 AM »
I would figure 3 servings per pound so 20 pounds.  If you add other meats I would figure 4 servings per pound. 
Ae you making this yourself or having the meet catered?  If catered, the place you order it from will be able to determine the amount.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 12:30:55 PM »
Well, I'm back with an update. 

After figuring out the cost of a simple family bbq, my son asked me if i'd be willing to listen to another option.  Apparently, he and his GF wanted to do a week at Disney World and he's been slowly saving up a little bit of money in hopes that they might be able to take a lil' vacation.

Well, I said "you mean, I won't have to worry about family arguing, invitations, thank you notes, tables, chairs, cake, food, etc, etc, etc?  Heck yes, I'll send you to Disney!"  It's a win/win for everyone.  Whew! No more stress.

So instead of spending $1K on a party, I'm sending my son to Disney and saving myself a lil' bit of money.  The youngest kiddo is mad 'cause he wants to go too. ;) 

ncgal

Re: Need enough BBQ for a party *update*
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 06:41:51 PM »
sounds like a win-win for everyone!  Enjoy the no stress graduation celebration! You get to relax and son gets to have fun! With the money you are saving btw the party cost and the disneyland trip, why don't you and your husband take your own mini vacation?