Author Topic: Why Don't We Start the 'Classic Ads You Love' Thread.  (Read 3378 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Why Don't We Start the 'Classic Ads You Love' Thread.
« on: February 01, 2012, 02:59:05 PM »
There were two European Ads I fondly remember from the 80s and 90s. 

One came from the UK.  It was an ad for an interior paint that would not drip. 

A decorator came into the studio of an artist to paint the walls.  While the painting was going on, the artist was squirting paint all over a huge canvas on the floor and swimming in it.

The walls were properly painted and the house painter was ready to leave.  The artist, now completely covered in paint, stood up and said, 'Lovely.  No mess I hope.'

The other was an ad for a cell phone company in Spain.  We see a man relaxing iin a nicely appointed but not particularly large apartment.  His cell phone rings.  He answers the phone.  We vaguely hear frenzied speech from the other end of the call.  He calmly answers, 'Si, si'. And gets up off the sofa. 

The conversation continues as he walks into the kitchen, reaches into a lower cabinet and takes something out.  The frenzied speech continues and he keeps saying, 'Si, si.' as he walks down a short hallway. 

He knocks on a door.  An agitated female hand comes out through the crack of the door and he hands it a roll of toilet paper.

What vintage ads do you love?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Why Don't We Start the 'Classic Ads You Love' Thread.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 08:54:04 PM »
Both from Coke:
The Mean Joe Green ad, where he gives his jersey to a little kid who gives him his coke "have a coke and a smile"

And "i'd like to teach the world to sing" ad from 1971

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 09:10:36 PM »
Oh, boy, where do I start?  How about with TV's first commercial in color:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_c_O8oJg10

I showed this to a group of younger colleagues a couple of years ago and they flipped!

ladymaureen

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 09:15:40 PM »
I like the Folgers coffee Christmas commercial -- it's been running since 1985.
Young guy comes home for Christmas, everyone is still asleep when he gets dropped off at the door so he sneaks inside and makes coffee. The mom wakes up and knows instantly that he's home because she smells the coffee.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4kNl7cQdcU

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 09:20:29 PM »
McDonald's Big Mac "two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles on a sesame seed bun"  I still remember that, after all these years!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 09:30:20 PM »
Pepsi's 1970's commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTOWMsm6W6w&feature=related

You could remake this today and it would still work.

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 01:25:14 AM »
I LOVE the McCains Cool Quencher's I Love You arm wrestle one, where two little boys are arm wrestling each other for the last glass of Cool Quenchers, and as they do, the little sister drinks it and then says the cutest "I love you" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10WdSmMm55I

Also, the Triple Chill cake from McCain where the girl is serving cake for her friends, with the commentary,  "A big slice goes to her friend here, a big slice goes to her other friend here, a big slice goes to her little brother (as she puts a crumb on his plate) a big slice goes to her little brother (cue exasperated look by sister, while she gives him a bigger slice) If anyone can find that one anywhere, please post it, it's too cute!

Jules

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
Stewart/Colbert '16

amylouky

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 10:16:41 AM »
McDonald's "Little Sister" commercial, and the one with the ducks. Wack wack waddle waddle. :)

http://youtu.be/J4Z7fjaCEy0  (little sister)

http://youtu.be/yBwv3DoQNCA (ducks)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 10:20:33 AM by amylouky »

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 10:26:08 AM »
Levi 501 blues had some great commercials in the 1980s.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Miss March

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 10:44:01 AM »
This is not a "classic," but it's a commercial that I loved and I have never found it online. I would be so thrilled if any of you have and can point me to it.

It was in the 90's. It was a commercial to show how driving a certain vehicle gave you both an elegant ride, and could be the kind of vehicle you could have a wet dog inside. A couple are driving towards the city. They are all dressed up and you see they have tickets to the theater resting on the console. It is night time and raining. Suddenly they see a dog by the edge of the road. It is clearly frightened by all the traffic and in some danger. You see the woman and the man in the car look at each other. No words are spoken. Then you see the man running through the rain to get the dog, and the final shot shows the dog, happy and safe in the back of their SUV as they smile and drive away.

Does anyone know this commercial and who made it?
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 11:09:37 AM »
My favourite is a Canadian Tire Commercial.

CTC sends out a catalogue every year.  The commercial was based in the 40's or 50's and it shows a little farm boy dreaming about a bike in the catalogue.  He just couldn't ask his father for it but he cut the picture out of the catalogue so when his Dad was going through it, he could see there was something missing.

It cuts to the boy outside as his Dad pulls up in his truck.  'C'mon, boy.  I got a couple new tires you can help me unload.'  As Dad pulls the bike out of the back of the truck.  The look of shock on the boy's face is priceless.

And now, I seem to have something in my eye...

And another one, more recent.  It's a Hallmark commercial.  A woman shows up in the office of one of her old professors as he is cleaning it out because he is retiring.  She has a card for him.  He hands it back, saying he can't find his glasses - you read it to me.  So she does.  It is a beautiful note about how he inspired her and that she is now a teacher.  She thanks him, hands him back the card and leaves.

He sits down, pulls out his glasses and reads the card again.

I get tears from that one, too.  My Dad is a retired teacher so maybe that's why it hits me a bit.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 07:34:59 PM »
I like the Folgers coffee Christmas commercial -- it's been running since 1985.
Young guy comes home for Christmas, everyone is still asleep when he gets dropped off at the door so he sneaks inside and makes coffee. The mom wakes up and knows instantly that he's home because she smells the coffee.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4kNl7cQdcU

Is that Tate Donovan?

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 07:37:06 PM »
McDonald's Big Mac "two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles on a sesame seed bun"  I still remember that, after all these years!

How about: "Big Mac, Filet o' Fish, Quarter Pounder, french fries, icy Coke, thick shake, sundaes, and apple pie."

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 08:51:29 PM »
One of my favorite old ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-MUCHtt25s

So cute.