News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 22, 2018, 08:22:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question about jumping in a thread  (Read 12794 times)

DuBois

Re: Question about jumping in a thread
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 12:07:22 PM »
Okay, I'm going to confess here to a little Special Snowflakiness of my own.

Sometimes I'll read a post and comment on it quickly (first page at least) and then four pages later someone says almost word for word what I said on page one and suddenly everyone jumps in with "Oh!  That's a great idea!" 

It doesn't really matter at all.  I know that.  But yet ...   :-\

So, knowing how "unheard" that makes me feel,  I try hard to read all the posts in an attempt to avoid doing that to someone else.

I feel you! That has happened to me once or twice, and I always think 'What am I, chopped liver?!' If I do that to someone else, what I do is ETA an agreement with the person whose argument preceded mine.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 12:08:08 PM »
Me, too!

Sometimes, though, what has been said isn't quite the same.  So on very rare occasions, if I feel strongly about my opinion, I quote my own post later on in the thread and add further explanation.  I've only done this 2 or 3 times, though.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

rashea

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 12:15:38 PM »

Sometimes I'll read a post and comment on it quickly (first page at least) and then four pages later someone says almost word for word what I said on page one and suddenly everyone jumps in with "Oh!  That's a great idea!" 

So, knowing how "unheard" that makes me feel,  I try hard to read all the posts in an attempt to avoid doing that to someone else.

Yup. It's why I try to remember to put someone's screenname out there when I see a good idea that seems to have been missed.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Luci

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 12:21:36 PM »

Yup. It's why I try to remember to put someone's screenname out there when I see a good idea that seems to have been missed.

And Outdoor Girl, Lost in Translation, and Betelnut!

I thought everyone was just picking on me and ignoring me! I guess I'm not the center of the universe, after all.

rose red

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 01:47:42 PM »
Me too!  Also, when I post "the OP updated and said the sweater was Red" and the discussion is still about a Blue sweater. 

Invisible and ignored.  Woe is us.

DottyG

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 02:06:20 PM »
You know what bugs me?

It doesn't really matter at all.  I know that.  But yet ...   

;)  gramma dishes!

furrcats

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 03:19:43 PM »
[/quoteYup. It's why I try to remember to put someone's screenname out there when I see a good idea that seems to have been missed.
And Outdoor Girl, Lost in Translation, and Betelnut!
I thought everyone was just picking on me and ignoring me! I guess I'm not the center of the universe, after all.
POD

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 03:37:46 PM »
You know what bugs me?

;)  gramma dishes!

That's sooo true Dotty! I'm glad you raised this point.   ;)
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

gramma dishes

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 07:33:10 PM »
You know what bugs me?

;)  gramma dishes!

;D

Allyson

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »
Oh, yeah, I have definitely had that happen, where I'll mention or suggest something, then someone else (sometimes just a couple of posts later!) will say the same thing, and get quoted/praised. I mean....so many of us have had it happen to us that it does just seem to be a matter of skimming. And I know it's not really an affront to me, since people here don't 'know' me and really I'm just a username the same as the other person. But it still makes me feel a bit sad! I wonder if the other poster just said it in a slightly better way, or if I'm one of those posters that people tend to skip over because I don't word things well, or what!

Very silly, I know! And, certainly I've done things where I'll quote only one person who's voiced an opinion a few others also have--I try to pick one who said it exactly the way I thought it, for whatever reason. It's not that I don't 'see' the other opinions, it's just that that one makes me go 'aha, exactly!'

diesel_darlin

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2012, 11:32:39 PM »
I dont feel so bad then! I thought I was often overlooked because Im still pretty new. Ive jumped in and posted quite a bit, but Im still... New.  ;D

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2012, 04:24:03 AM »
I don't think it's a question of overlooking posts as that people read through the entire thread first, and then it's easiest to quote the last post.

I know that's what I do. Sometimes I'll write
"I agree with A (and the PPs who also said this on a previous page) and ..."
But as often as not I'll leave out the paranthesis. Not because I didn't see the PPs posts, but because it gets cumbersome.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2012, 05:21:52 AM »
This has been discussed before, but there tends to be a pattern...

OP: Was I rude for doing X?
Posters 1-4: No, not rude, you were fine
Poster 5: I'm not sure. You could have been rude if you didn't do X, Y, Z
Posters 6-9: Yes, you were rude. You should not have done X.
Poster 10: I disagree, the OP didn't have chance to do anything other than X!
Posters 12-?? POD, OP you were not rude

And so on. It doesn't seem to matter what the subject matter is, it seems to be that the first few side with OP, then you get some that disagree with that opinion and then someone else goes back to agreeing with the OP. I tend to be of the viewpoint that if I read a post and really feel strongly and can put across my opinion in a way unlikely to cause offence, I will do so. If I feel that what I wish to put will inflame a situation I won't say it. I skim read replies to just check that what I want to say has not been said already, before I put my own spin on things.

Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.