Author Topic: Is this OK or not? - s/o of open bars  (Read 2391 times)

WhiteTigerCub

Re: Is this OK or not? - s/o of open bars
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 03:12:40 PM »
And if the host does spring for some sort of hosted bar - say a limited bar - it would be akin to slapping them across the face to buy an upgrade.  It would be no different then saying "what you provided is awful and unfit for my consumption and I will pay my own money to not consume the swivel you have provided."

I respectfully disagree. I think in this situation it is the host who is taking into consideration the individual guest preference and giving them an additional choice.

Arizona

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 03:24:02 PM »
And if the host does spring for some sort of hosted bar - say a limited bar - it would be akin to slapping them across the face to buy an upgrade.  It would be no different then saying "what you provided is awful and unfit for my consumption and I will pay my own money to not consume the swivel you have provided."

I respectfully disagree. I think in this situation it is the host who is taking into consideration the individual guest preference and giving them an additional choice.

There is nothing to disagree with - because its not a universal.  My post was about the norms of my area and my social circles.  That was my point.  In some places cash or partially cash bars might be fine.  But they are not fine everywhere.  Not to have, not to utilize.

In your experience in your area in your social circle it might not be a terrible insult to buy an upgrade at the bar.  But I can tell you without hesitation that is not a universal.  In some places/in some social circles you would be seen as behaving terribly poorly for doing so.

ETA: Its like burping at a dinner table - in some cases its perfectly fine, in fact a compliment to burp at the dinner table.  In other cases its horrible gauche.  One can't say it definitively is one or the other because it varies by social group.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 03:28:02 PM by WillyNilly »

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 10:30:53 PM »
Just as you wouldn't ask to pay to upgrade your shrimp diviner to lobster I don't think you should ask to upgrade the beverage selection.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 07:44:25 AM »
Just as you wouldn't ask to pay to upgrade your shrimp diviner to lobster I don't think you should ask to upgrade the beverage selection.

Right.  If the meal was preselected at a restaurant I would hope people wouldn't say "listen, I know you are serving sirloin but there is filet in your kitchen.  I am a steak snob so I'd prefer the filet.  How about if I just pay the extra cost?"

(I totally get wanting the filet and would probably treat myself within the next few days at one of my favorite spots.  I just would never try to upgrade at the hosted event)

White Tiger, I would say that if anybody is that firmly attached to drinking a particular beer at a particular time during the evening the only way to make sure it happens is to stay home and drink it out of their own stocked fridge.  OP could still stop somewhere on the way home from the event, have a beer at home, etc if she really needs to.  I am in no way suggesting she most forgo her favorite beer for life or even the entire night, just for the event.  Others might get to an event and find out they have to give up Coke for Pepsi or vice versa.  People live with these hings.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 10:09:17 AM »
Answers to this are going to have a lot to do with your location. That said please ask the employees before taking a drink from one location to another.

Most places do have a licence that covers the whole building/complex. I do know of some that get temp licences for particular events and they can sometimes just cover particular areas rented for the event.

I have a friend from New Orleans and have to keep reminding her that she can't get a go cup in Houston.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future