Author Topic: Miracle Noodles? No Calories? Really? How did I not know about these???  (Read 3510 times)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
So I have recently started watching Dr. Oz, which apparently is a huge mistake because I find that I want to try virtually everything he talks about! I find myself keeping a notebook next to me when I watch so I jot things down to read up on later...

What really, really got my attention was a recent episode that discussed shirataki noodles a/k/a "miracle" noodles. They are supposedly almost calorie-free and can be used to replace pasta and rice in most recipes. Anyone here tried them? What did you think? Are they good? Do you have any good recipes to share? I am only interested in the non-tofu enhanced noodles.

I plan on going to Earth Fare tomorrow to pick some up (assuming they have it) so I'll be trying them soon. So, tell me all about them!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Hillia

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

blarg314

• Super Hero!
Re: Miracle Noodles? No Calories? Really? How did I not know about these???
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 08:15:23 AM »
I think I've had these, as part of Japanese cuisine.

They're fine prepared as part of a Japanese meal, although the texture is odd if you're not used to it, but I think they would make a pretty terrible substitute for something like Italian pasta.

ETA: Konjac powder, which is what these are made of, is commonly used in East Asia to make jelly. It's stiffer than jello, but has the advantage of being vegan.  Those little lychee flavoured jelly cups you can get in Chinese groceries are made of konjac. I've also eaten vegan sashimi made out of it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 08:26:40 AM by blarg314 »

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 08:33:53 AM »
Hmmm....I'm still going to try it, but we'll see what it's like. I am really hpping it's not too good to be true...

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 04:15:16 AM »
I've had them a number of times.  The texture is a little off.  Definitely not Italian pasta feel.  Where I buy them they offer 3 widths.  I prefer the widest fettuccini style, but if using with stir fry I'll use the thinnest. 

CakeBeret

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 09:30:55 AM »
I have tried them. The texture is weird, yes, and when you open the package you get a strong fishy smell. The method I used to prepare them was to stirfry them in a hot, *dry* skillet for a few minutes. This is supposed to cut the funky fishy taste. I then added a spicy asian sauce.

I don't think they'd work well for italian type dishes, personally, although the popular website Hungry Girl uses them in a ton of different recipes.

Personally, I thought they were pretty good but they didn't fill me up.

Good luck!
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

katycoo

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 07:58:32 PM »
I had some of these recetnly - a different brand - Chang's Wok Ready Lo-Cal Noodles.  dunno if you can get them in the USA.

They come suspended in liquid in the packet.  The liquid is clear, but doesn't spell great.  You drain and rinse the noodles off with boiling water.

I wouldn't use them in place of pasta, but for any noodle dish, they would be fine.  They don't really taste like much, but have a texture similar to other asian noodles.

Jess13

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 08:54:51 PM »
I've had the spaghetti size and angel hair size. I've eaten them with tomato sauce and a heartier meat sauce.

It's all about the prep. If you follow the instructions, the fishy smell will go away and you'll be left with a pseudo-noodle. I say pseudo because the texture is a bit off. It's not horrible if you follow the prep instructions, but if you don't, the noodles are almost slimy and crunchy.

They're expensive here, $1.79 for one package which is technicially 2 servings, and they're like 40 calories a serving. Compared to 100+ of pasta calories, and they're carb free, yeah, they're a great replacement.

Hope that helps!

Isometric

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 11:23:20 PM »
Hmm interesting!!

Does anyone know what the "gel" is? Is it fish based?

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 12:10:57 AM »
I've eaten them many times. I LOVE it!

No, they are not a substitute for Italian pasta, the texture is very different so it is not the same. They are made from a type of yam. It comes in many forms, in blocks (then you will see it called konnyaku) and noodles. I have had the noodles in sukiyaki and the blocks simmered in flavored broth as part of my bento.

Definitely follow the directions to  rinse it in boiling water to get rid of the strong smell. The noodles and block form don't really have any flavor, that is why in most Japanese recipes they are simmered in a flavored broth.

I've never had them in anything but Japanese recipes so I don't really know how to prepare them as as substitute for other cuisines.
No matter where you go, there you are...

Jess13

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 09:54:49 PM »
Hmm interesting!!

I believe they're tofu based noodles.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 02:43:07 AM »
Hmm interesting!!

I believe they're tofu based noodles.

The basic noodle is actually made from a type of root vegetable (sort of like yam), and has a somewhat slippery, gelatin like texture. This is the traditional Japanese version. 

There's a newer version that has tofu added, I think to change the texture and make it more of a substitute for other types of noodles. That version is low calorie, but no longer calorie free.

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
No matter where you go, there you are...

Honey

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 11:13:24 PM »
I bought them once and thought they were awful.  They have this horrid smell when you open the package.  Like others have said, they aren't really noodles or pasta, so the texture is off.  If I'm going to abstain from pasta, I'd rather eat string beans or something rather than these.  My husband ate them though... go figure.

Instantkarma

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 11:20:39 PM »
When it's in season I like to sub spaghetti squash for pasta it's good with red sauce or parmasean cheese and butter.