Author Topic: Miracle Noodles? No Calories? Really? How did I not know about these???  (Read 3614 times)

Amalthea

Re: Miracle Noodles? No Calories? Really? How did I not know about these???
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 11:40:09 PM »
They are made from a type of yam. It comes in many forms, in blocks (then you will see it called konnyaku) and noodles. I have had the noodles in sukiyaki and the blocks simmered in flavored broth as part of my bento.

Whoa, I had no idea the zero calorie noodles were the same thing as konnyaku.  Learn something new every day.  Konnyaku shows up in the school lunches a lot here, but is not something I would ever go out of my way to eat.  I can't imagine it going well with spaghetti sauce.

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 12:28:13 AM »
I bought them once and thought they were awful.  They have this horrid smell when you open the package.  Like others have said, they aren't really noodles or pasta, so the texture is off.  If I'm going to abstain from pasta, I'd rather eat string beans or something rather than these.  My husband ate them though... go figure.

If you read up at Japanese cooking sites they will say you need to rinse it a lot to get rid of the unpleasant smell.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 12:34:28 AM by ydpubs »
No matter where you go, there you are...

ydpubs

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 12:29:10 AM »
They are made from a type of yam. It comes in many forms, in blocks (then you will see it called konnyaku) and noodles. I have had the noodles in sukiyaki and the blocks simmered in flavored broth as part of my bento.

Whoa, I had no idea the zero calorie noodles were the same thing as konnyaku.  Learn something new every day.  Konnyaku shows up in the school lunches a lot here, but is not something I would ever go out of my way to eat.  I can't imagine it going well with spaghetti sauce.

Yeah, they are made from the same yam. I love it in Japanese cuisine. I can't imagine using them like pasta with spaghetti sauce either.

ydpubs

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 12:35:58 AM »
My husband loves these noodles in sukiyaki and he LOOOOVE Chicken Long Rice. Google it, it's a tasty dish.

GinaH

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 06:22:36 AM »
I bought my first couple of packages a few months ago. I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic, and since carbs do really horrible things to my blood sugar, these noodles are PERFECT for me!

You have to go into this, keeping in mind that these 'noodles' are NOT pasta. They are NOT spaghetti. They're a totally different animal. Just keep that in mind, keep an open mind when you eat them, and give them a fair chance. They're great!

They taste FINE with spaghetti sauce, I might add. Heck, if you've got any kind of sauce at all, they're absolutely fine in anything!

They smell sort of like...fish. Very 'fishy' odor. When you open the package, you should drain them, give them a quick rinse, and then drop them into boiling water for a few seconds, then drain them into a colander, and rinse them again. Easy peasy!
Then, just drop them into whatever you're making, stir 'em in, and Bob's yer uncle!
They really don't have any flavor of their own. They DO seem to soak up the flavor of whatever you're cooking them in, though.

Even my husband, who doesn't eat this sort of stuff...He's meat and potatoes ALL the way...Really enjoyed them!

Wonderful stuff!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 06:24:33 AM by GinaH »

ydpubs

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 04:49:35 PM »
Exactly. They were specifically created to be simmered in broth to absorb the flavor because the noodles themselves have no flavor at all.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 05:55:29 PM »
These intrigue me. Do they retain any fishy smell or taste after rinsing and cooking?

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

ydpubs

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2012, 11:08:55 PM »
No, they don't retain the odor. They don't have any taste at all on their own.