Author Topic: We have a bobcat!!  (Read 655 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
We have a bobcat!!
« on: August 23, 2014, 10:00:19 PM »
I went down to my family's old hobby farm turned wildlife refuge to get the pictures from the wildlife cameras.

Brett and Cameron who have been very put out that their wildlife refuge does not have any big cats are over the moon. We got 2 pictures a couple minutes apart of a bobcat.

MFDC3438 by Kimberly_Herbert, on Flickr

MFDC3439 by Kimberly_Herbert, on Flickr

Whole album https://www.flickr.com/photos/14888249@N03/sets/72157646367333637/ Pictures are creative commons so if anyone who wants to use them especially for teaching or a student doing a report is welcome to them.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: We have a bobcat!!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 10:43:08 PM »
Would it be SS of me to request you to mow the grass so I can actually see the smaller animals?   Ha, I must be a psychic SS because someone did!  Now, I insist that you sit out there during daylight hours so I can see better color pictures of the spotted boar!   :P

The wild boars are impressive!  I've only ever seen them on TV.  My favorites, though, are the construction of the spiderwebs; they're so neat!  I'm not familiar with Texas wildlife; are the coyotes really that big down there or are those different canines?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 11:24:32 PM »
The cameras are down there 24/7. They are motion activated wildlife cameras. Amazingly the batteries lasted nearly a year. The tractor broke - but the little animals do not come out as often when the grass isn't high enough to give them cover. We have some restrictions on the amount of mowing we can do - because of the wildlife refuge status. It has also been in the high 90's - some my cousin and BIL haven't really been motivated to use the tractor. Another cousin is coming down next weekend to do some work.

The coyotes we have seen are all about that size - but they have been feasting on the wild pigs. There is a colony of wild turkeys about 5 miles away - we are kind of hoping some may find their way down the creek. We have seen a nesting pair of Bald Eagles just off our property. I'm going to invest in more cameras to keep going around the property, hopefully that means more sightings of animals like the bobcat.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 07:30:48 AM »
So far I've identified a racoon, spiderweb, a ton of boar (that little spotted one is so cute!), coyote, squirrel (possibly groundhog, it's hard to gauge the size), deer, I think that thing is an armadillo 6/11/14 pic, hunched over hawk 5/23/14 pic?, the bobcat, and some kind of swallowtail butterfly (possibly a tiger swallowtail).

ETA, on second thought, what I thought was a hawk may be a golden Eagle.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 07:32:38 AM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 11:10:00 AM »
The cameras are down there 24/7. They are motion activated wildlife cameras. Amazingly the batteries lasted nearly a year. The tractor broke - but the little animals do not come out as often when the grass isn't high enough to give them cover. We have some restrictions on the amount of mowing we can do - because of the wildlife refuge status. It has also been in the high 90's - some my cousin and BIL haven't really been motivated to use the tractor. Another cousin is coming down next weekend to do some work.

The coyotes we have seen are all about that size - but they have been feasting on the wild pigs. There is a colony of wild turkeys about 5 miles away - we are kind of hoping some may find their way down the creek. We have seen a nesting pair of Bald Eagles just off our property. I'm going to invest in more cameras to keep going around the property, hopefully that means more sightings of animals like the bobcat.

Oh, I know they're wildlife cams, I just was joking about making you sit out there to get the perfect unautomated shot :)  I don't blame no one for wanting to mow; it's far too hot and humid in Texas for me.

Oooo, I'd love to see the turkeys!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.