Author Topic: Advice on a new puppy  (Read 432 times)

m2kbug

Re: Advice on a new puppy
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 09:51:17 PM »
We had a Dachshund / Corgie mix for a little while and he liked to chase the cats. The thing was, he just wanted to play, so once the kitties made it known "No! Bad puppy!" he left them alone. We had one cat who'd sometimes play with him and it was pretty cute to see his face light up when she came into the room. You could see him thinking "Play? Maybe? Yes? Play!!" She'd either reach out and bop him, letting him know it was on, or just keep walking, depending on her mood.

I had a Corgi.  I really wish I could see a Corgi/Doxie mix...and to watch the breeding roots in action, a herder and a chaser!  I laugh at the idea of the personality traits of the breed taking over.  Some entertainment! ;D  My corgi was best pals with the cat.  There's always going to be some "arguing" as the pets in the household establish the pecking order and boundaries, but puppies tend to grow on everyone pretty fast.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 09:56:51 PM »
We had a Dachshund / Corgie mix for a little while and he liked to chase the cats. The thing was, he just wanted to play, so once the kitties made it known "No! Bad puppy!" he left them alone. We had one cat who'd sometimes play with him and it was pretty cute to see his face light up when she came into the room. You could see him thinking "Play? Maybe? Yes? Play!!" She'd either reach out and bop him, letting him know it was on, or just keep walking, depending on her mood.

When we got our golden, she became obsessed with our 12 year old male cat. I think she thought he was some kind of deformed puppy. She would try to get him to play ball, she would bring him dog toys and snuggle sleep with him. he was not amused.

Haha! We had the opposite. Our lab was 3 months old when we got him and his best friend was our cat, so he learned to play and snuggle like a cat. It was interesting at first when we'd take him to the off-leash dog park and he didn't know how to play like the other dogs. Luckily they taught him.

I had a Corgi.  I really wish I could see a Corgi/Doxie mix...and to watch the breeding roots in action, a herder and a chaser!  I laugh at the idea of the personality traits of the breed taking over.  Some entertainment! ;D  My corgi was best pals with the cat.  There's always going to be some "arguing" as the pets in the household establish the pecking order and boundaries, but puppies tend to grow on everyone pretty fast.

http://thecorgisite.com/index.php/2010/02/cesars-way-features-corgi-mix/

He looked like that Mama dog, but with short hair. That's what they said he was, anyway. We got him from a rescue so nobody really knew for sure but apparently that's what their vets thought.

sylviatexas

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 10:04:55 PM »
There's nothing like a 'youngster' in the house to cheer the soul & to make you laugh.

m2kbug

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 10:25:23 PM »

He looked like that Mama dog, but with short hair. That's what they said he was, anyway. We got him from a rescue so nobody really knew for sure but apparently that's what their vets thought.

Thanks for sharing!  I got "Chihuahua" out of that picture - probably the ears.  Did a lot of people ask if he was a Chihuahua mix?  My Corgi was purebred, but not a known breed, at least at the time, and people thought he was a German shepherd/Dachshund mix (hair and short legs).  He would instinctively herd people.  In the morning if you were in a hurry to get ready and rushing around, he'd be nipping at your ankles.  It was entertaining to watch at family gatherings, when a bunch of little kids would be running around, and he would attempt to herd them.  I would have to go collect him.  He was taught not to run off by my then boyfriend's lab.  We would attach a leash to connect the two dogs.  Poor "Brody," but "Brody" never ran off.  Good times, good memories. 

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 10:36:16 PM »

Thanks for sharing!  I got "Chihuahua" out of that picture - probably the ears.  Did a lot of people ask if he was a Chihuahua mix?  My Corgi was purebred, but not a known breed, at least at the time, and people thought he was a German shepherd/Dachshund mix (hair and short legs).  He would instinctively herd people.  In the morning if you were in a hurry to get ready and rushing around, he'd be nipping at your ankles.  It was entertaining to watch at family gatherings, when a bunch of little kids would be running around, and he would attempt to herd them.  I would have to go collect him.  He was taught not to run off by my then boyfriend's lab.  We would attach a leash to connect the two dogs.  Poor "Brody," but "Brody" never ran off.  Good times, good memories.

He's probably too big to be a Chihuahua mix. We thought maybe part MinPin, actually, based on his markings and ears. He is stinkin' cute, I know that! Sadly we didn't get to keep him because it turned out he did not like little boys. He went to a close friend of mine whose daughters are grown. They have a Basset Hound who became his instant best friend.

Okay, yeah, I just did a google image search for "minpin dachshund mix" and that is exactly what he looked like!

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 11:02:53 AM »
I was going to suggest taking your older dog with so you could make sure they got along, but further down it's mentioned you have cats as well. I'd ask if the puppy could come for a visit to meet everyone first.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Kiwipinball

« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 12:42:04 PM »
Yes a visit is a good idea. You want it to be a good fit. We've had several combinations of older dogs/younger dogs (usually because one of the older dogs passed, we'd figure we'd wait to get a new dog until the other one passed but the older dog hated being alone). Make sure the older dog has a place to get away from the puppy. Puppies are adorable but can get quite annoying.

POF

Re: Advice on a new puppy -small update
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 01:08:26 PM »
I psoke with a colleague who has doxies.  She knows our dog and thinks a doxie would be a great fit with Duckie.  I also didn;t realize that the breed enjoys being outside and hiking and being in the woods.

SO if there are any left - I am gingto visit them this weekend.  DH is really encouraging me to get one.  I am so in love with their photos they are so cute.