Author Topic: Surprising fixes  (Read 8589 times)

jayhawk

• my organizing website
Re: Surprising fixes
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2013, 04:39:40 PM »
A good one from a previous coworker - if you ever drop a raw egg, rather than try and mop it up (and probably spread it everywhere, eggs are slippery!) cover it in salt. Just ordinary table salt works best. Chuck salt all over it until it stops absorbing, then sweep it up. And having dropped several eggs in my time, I can report it works really well and seems to be easier and makes comparatively less mess.

I have two dogs. Dropped eggs are never a problem.  ::)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2013, 06:41:26 PM »
A good one from a previous coworker - if you ever drop a raw egg, rather than try and mop it up (and probably spread it everywhere, eggs are slippery!) cover it in salt. Just ordinary table salt works best. Chuck salt all over it until it stops absorbing, then sweep it up. And having dropped several eggs in my time, I can report it works really well and seems to be easier and makes comparatively less mess.
I do this and it does work very well.  Baking soda is another option as well

dawnfire

« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2013, 07:29:49 PM »
I do this and it does work very well.  Baking soda is another option as well

kitty litter works well too.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2013, 01:57:57 PM »

After my last dog died, it took me months to unlearn the reflex of tapping my toe next to dropped food.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

mandycorn

« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2013, 02:11:04 PM »

After my last dog died, it took me months to unlearn the reflex of tapping my toe next to dropped food.

Me too! The cat just looked at me funny when I tried to do it to her!
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

Reader

« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2013, 04:15:07 PM »
No foot moment for me, I taught my dog to pick up dropped food to the word vacuum  :) 

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2013, 09:10:40 PM »
I'm always open to learning. So what ratio of bleach to water would you use on kitchen counters, in the refrigerator, and other places where the surface will contact food? Do you spray it on? How long do you leave it on?Do you use paper towels to wipe it up? And do you rinse it off? If so, do you use water or soap and water? Any details would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

We use a 10 to 1 dilution - so for every one (teaspoon/capful/quarter cup) you'd put 9 parts of the same amount of water. So say 1/4 cup if bleach would mix with 2 1/4 cups water. Keep bleach airtight and away from sunlight cause it evaporates easily and breaks down in sunlight. Never ever mix anything else into bleach as some substances (like vinager) can create harmful gases.

Undiluted bleach is very toxic and caustic- properly diluted bleach can be safe to bath in or drink- the biggest misunderstanding people have about chemicals and toxicity is dosage/concentration. Many things that have horrendous side effects in large amounts are perfectly safe or even required in the right amounts.

I work in a lab with high concentrations of some very nasty viruses and we disinfect everything in 10% bleach. Anything higher and you kill your equipment along with the viruses (and bacteria). However, if you make a mixture and store it in a spray bottle, make a fresh batch weekly because the chlorine breaks down fairly quickly.

Amara

« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2013, 09:44:35 PM »
Thanks so much to both of you! This is incredibly valuable information.

For using it in the kitchen, how long would you leave it before wiping it up? Or would you? If so, would you use water or soap and water to wipe it?

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2013, 01:27:08 AM »

For using it in the kitchen, how long would you leave it before wiping it up? Or would you? If so, would you use water or soap and water to wipe it?

For surfaces, we just wipe them down with bleach solution then after they dry with water or 70% alcohol (extra layer of disinfectant which is probably overkill and rather expensive for your standard kitchen). You don't want to leave the bleach on for more than a few minutes or you'll start to damage your surfaces or inhale a lot of fumes.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2013, 09:45:59 AM »

Because the solution i use is a bit less concentrated, I simply wipe right after spraying and don't rinse with water.

suzieQ

« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2013, 11:32:12 AM »
Aluminum foil and baking soda can remove tarnish from silver - no scrubbing, no rubbing, no elbow grease whatsoever. I saved a pair of silver sugar and creamer holders my mom inherited from her father with that method. They were literally black when we started, and I think it only took about ten minutes and one re-boil of the mixture to get them almost perfectly clean again.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-clean-silverware-with-b-131048 - here's the method.

I don't suppose this works for copper?  My pans need it, and I hate the scrubbing I have to do with Bar Keeper's Friend.

For copper, you can mix equal parts of baking soda and salt together, then mix to a paste with vinegar. Rub on the copper, and then rinse off. You may have to scrub a bit if the tarnish is heavy.
Ketchup works wonders on copper too. Just spread it on, let it sit a moment, then rinse it off.

This recipe showed up on my FB yesterday:

In a small cup mix a dab of toothpaste, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp hydrogen peroxide and 1 tsp water.  Brush teeth with mixture for 2 minutes.  Then there was a picture of before & after teeth - very white now.

I haven't tried this.  That's got to be enough for 4 or 5 people to brush with...

I have extremely sensitive teeth, I use prescription toothpaste and prescription oral rinses.  Does anyone know if this will cause more sensitivity?  Does anyone have a remedy for sensitive teeth?

I keep baking soda and peroxide in my bathroom and aim to do this three times a week. I don't use water, though, just put some baking soda in a small bowl and add peroxide until it "looks right" then just rub it over my teeth with a toothbrush. I let it sit as long as I can, then rinse it off with my water pick to keep the mixture off my tongue (it's salty!). Works great.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 11:34:02 AM by suzieQ »