News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 03, 2015, 01:39:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Do you take your own bags to the grocery store?

Always
35 (24.8%)
Most of the time
61 (43.3%)
Sometimes
27 (19.1%)
Never
18 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 141

Voting closed: December 23, 2014, 06:33:05 PM

Author Topic: Plastic bags or take your own?  (Read 1964 times)

bopper

• Super Hero!
Re: Plastic bags or take your own?
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2014, 10:20:35 PM »
We have some lovely canvas bags and some insulated bags that we use.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2014, 06:51:38 PM »
I take my own bags to the grocery store probably about 95% of the time, since I bring them with me when I plan a trip.  I've forgotten occasionally, and they do provide plastic bags where I shop, so it's not the end of the world.  The grocery store I shop at never seems to know what to do with reusable bags and they always seem resentful about having to use them.  Which is funny, because I bought them at this store.  The non-freezer bags, anyway.  I like this store's bags because they have a hard bottom that folds up, and they are very sturdy and large and carry a lot.  It's great having 6 large bags instead of 12 small ones with unsupported bottoms.

I think it's because it throws off the bagging rhythm (yes, there is one :D). It really is like an assembly line and it feels strange to have something different in the middle of the "line." They shouldn't let customers know they're bothered though.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2014, 02:05:14 AM »
I sewed up some bags from some ugly but strong fabric I got from Goodwill, and the bags work great for groceries.  They're also great for trips to the bookstore or the fabric shop, because they hold more than the plastic bags.  One set is turquoise with orange-red flowers on it, and another set is brown with yellow chickens.   

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2014, 03:50:48 PM »
I've been using reusable bags for at least six years now, for all my shopping. I have at least a dozen of them, and they live in my car (so they're always available for those 'Oh crud I forgot we ran out of milk last night' unexpected trips).

A couple of years after I started using them, my city banned plastic bags. This didn't have too much effect on me (aside from making it marginally less hassle for me to ask the cashier to use them).

magicdomino

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2014, 04:59:34 PM »
I take my bags 90% of the time for grocery shopping. I haven't developed the habit for other shopping trips like department stores or drug stores.

This is me.  I'm pretty consistant for the grocery store since the reusable bags are on the passenger seat of the truck.  I can often remember to bring one to Petco when I buy canned cat food -- the store bags are too weak for the weight.  I'm trying to remember to bring one with me when I walk to the drug store near my office, but that is a new habit that hasn't settled in yet.  Anyplace else, I forget.

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2014, 08:13:39 AM »
I said most of the time, but it's probably more a 50/50 split. I use the grocery store bags as garbage liners and for the kitty litter, so I like to have a stash, plus I will occasionally go after paper bags to have a few of those on hand, so if I forget, it's really stocking up. :)

This.  I use my own until I notice the kitty litter stash getting low, then I do a run or two with plastic.

miranova

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2014, 08:30:29 AM »
I don't even own any.   :-X

I only see them rarely around here, so I guess we aren't a very environmentally friendly state. 

I'm not opposed to it or anything, it's just not on my radar at all.

NFPwife

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2014, 10:51:59 AM »
As there is a government levy on plastic bags in Ireland I bring my own now rather than pay. It took a while but now I pack my own

There's a store we shop at that charges for plastic bags, I never forget the bags there, but I'm about 50/50 on other stores. I, typically, carry a large purse. I put small items in it. (After paying of course :)  )

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2014, 10:55:19 AM »
As there is a government levy on plastic bags in Ireland I bring my own now rather than pay. It took a while but now I pack my own

There's a store we shop at that charges for plastic bags, I never forget the bags there, but I'm about 50/50 on other stores. I, typically, carry a large purse. I put small items in it. (After paying of course :)  )

Per the bolded: that's how it was when I visited N. Ireland in 2005. I think it's a great idea! They floated that idea here in NJ, but there was an uproar so it never went anywhere.  :(

KimberlyM

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2014, 11:57:16 AM »
Plastic bags are banned in my town.  You can buy paper bags for 5 cents.  I miss the plastic bags because I use them for all sorts of other stuff, lining little trash cans etc.  We keep bags in both cars and most of the time use them. I still buy paper ones every couple trips though because we use them to collect recycling and cans and bottles in. 

My SIL lives an hour away, they still have plastic bags so I often ask her to collect them and bring them when she visits.

kategillian

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2014, 12:47:53 PM »
I absolutely refuse to use plastic bags for any reason. They don't even ask me anymore at my little grocery store, you should see me walking out of there with 12 items when I forget my bags! They're all shoved in my pockets and I have a big arm full of them. I get some strange looks, but I don't care :-)

KaosP

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2014, 04:11:51 PM »
My city (province?) started a mandatory 5 cent charge for plastic bags a few years ago; I had already started using reusable and STILL have tons of plastic bags from 5+ years ago. But grocery stores here ask if you have bags even before they start the transaction.

I'm not as organized as whoever up thread sorted by colours (very impressive!) but I do usually try to pack my meat in a washable bag, just in case.