Author Topic: Who came up with this useless product?  (Read 68140 times)

JennJenn68

Re: Who came up with this useless product?
« Reply #135 on: March 06, 2012, 07:00:43 PM »
When I first met my DH he had this weird useless chopping thing.  I think it was called a slapchop.  I never understood why anyone would want to use it.

It was only big enough to chop about a quarter of an onion at a time, the chops were not uniform, you really have to have a lot of hand strength to get it all the way though whatever you were chopping and it was a pain to clean.  So much easier to use a knife.

I find all the kitchen gadgets for eggs to be just bizarre.  Egg separator? Egg slicer?

LOL, I'm with you on the gadgets for eggs!   :o  This coming from the queen of gadgets and doohickeys (me).

On another topic, I have two Snuggies.  I hate them both because I can't walk with them on.

<Snerk>  Sorry.  The image of anyone attempting to walk while wearing a Snuggie causes me to chortle.

Yeah, I have to agree about egg separators in particular.  Now that they sell egg whites by the carton, who the heck needs to separate eggs anymore?  And the only slicing of eggs that I need to do are just in half if I'm making devilled eggs.  (Yum!  Now I want some...)

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
« Reply #136 on: March 06, 2012, 07:52:51 PM »
When I first met my DH he had this weird useless chopping thing.  I think it was called a slapchop.  I never understood why anyone would want to use it.

It was only big enough to chop about a quarter of an onion at a time, the chops were not uniform, you really have to have a lot of hand strength to get it all the way though whatever you were chopping and it was a pain to clean.  So much easier to use a knife.

I find all the kitchen gadgets for eggs to be just bizarre.  Egg separator? Egg slicer?

LOL, I'm with you on the gadgets for eggs!   :o  This coming from the queen of gadgets and doohickeys (me).

On another topic, I have two Snuggies.  I hate them both because I can't walk with them on.

<Snerk>  Sorry.  The image of anyone attempting to walk while wearing a Snuggie causes me to chortle.

Yeah, I have to agree about egg separators in particular.  Now that they sell egg whites by the carton, who the heck needs to separate eggs anymore?  And the only slicing of eggs that I need to do are just in half if I'm making devilled eggs.  (Yum!  Now I want some...)

No need for apology, it IS funny!  For me, the idea of having to constantly take off the Snuggie in order to walk and then put it on seems to defeat the purpose of the Snuggie (i.e. staying warm and cozy).  My mom said she could sew them into shorter length housecoats for me so I look forward to that.  I also find the sleeves way too wide so she will tighten them. I'm gonna be one happy Snuggie walker once that happens!   :D
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #137 on: March 06, 2012, 08:46:39 PM »

Sometimes, you do need to separate the egg and the yolk and a carton of egg whites won't do the trick because you need both yolk and white (cheese souffle, for instance). This being said, it's not that hard to separate whites and yolks by hand or by using the shell.

MacadamiaNut

« Reply #138 on: March 06, 2012, 09:10:21 PM »

Sometimes, you do need to separate the egg and the yolk and a carton of egg whites won't do the trick because you need both yolk and white (cheese souffle, for instance). This being said, it's not that hard to separate whites and yolks by hand or by using the shell.

Using the shell was the way I was taught in cooking school.  It is quite easy, especially since we were also talk how to crack eggs.  ;D  Ahh, the basics...  I actually didn't know they made egg separators until a while ago.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #139 on: March 06, 2012, 11:02:42 PM »
Personally, I just use my fingers.  Crack the egg over a bowl that's going to hold the egg whites, and then hold my fingers just far enough apart that the white can get through but the yolk can't.  I put the yolk in a separate bowl (or in the mixing bowl with the other ingredients, depending) and repeat until I have enough egg yolks/whites.  I don't always crack eggs in a way that lets me use the shells for separating eggs, but my fingers do the trick just fine.

Best of all, they're free and I always know where to find them. :)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #140 on: March 06, 2012, 11:41:20 PM »
Personally, I just use my fingers.  Crack the egg over a bowl that's going to hold the egg whites, and then hold my fingers just far enough apart that the white can get through but the yolk can't.  I put the yolk in a separate bowl (or in the mixing bowl with the other ingredients, depending) and repeat until I have enough egg yolks/whites.  I don't always crack eggs in a way that lets me use the shells for separating eggs, but my fingers do the trick just fine.

That's how I seperate my eggs too.  ;D I have far fewer accidental yolk punctures that way than I do using the shells.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #141 on: March 06, 2012, 11:53:33 PM »

That's how I seperate my eggs too.  ;D I have far fewer accidental yolk punctures that way than I do using the shells.

Plus, if you're careful, you can sometimes even fish out an overenthusiastic egg yolk that took a flying leap out of your hand and into the egg whites.

MerryCat

« Reply #142 on: March 06, 2012, 11:53:56 PM »

Same here. I had no idea that they made a gadget to separate them.  What will they think of next?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #143 on: March 07, 2012, 01:18:28 AM »
drebay wrote:

"All I do is put my coat on backwards.  No hood on my coat.  I keep it next to me most of the time anyway."

None of my coats are anywhere near long enough to cover my feet if I used them like this.  I'd think that if it was long enough to do that, it would drag behind you when you wore it normally.  Of course, I'm very tall so a Snuggie doesn't reach my feet either, but my wife doesn't have that problem.

Virg

A coat on backwards is very awkward! The shape of the armholes is designed for the curves on the BACK of the body, not the front. The neck is higher, often by a lot.

And my coat is very bulky.

I can totally see the appeal of those products, and I don't quite get why other people don't.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #144 on: March 07, 2012, 05:06:27 AM »
If I need to walk somewhere in my snuggy I turn it around backwards, and wear it like a normal coat and pretend I'm a jedi.  ;D
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #145 on: March 07, 2012, 08:23:30 AM »

Same here. I had no idea that they made a gadget to separate them.  What will they think of next?
Me too!  It's so much easier doing it this way.  To me, having a gadget to do this means one more thign to wash.

Lynnv

« Reply #146 on: March 07, 2012, 08:40:25 AM »

Me too!  It's so much easier doing it this way.  To me, having a gadget to do this means one more thign to wash.

My grandma used one for as long as I can remember.  She had a joint disease and the fingers in her hands were frozen, so separating with the shells or her hands wasn't possible.  With the amount of cooking she did, she didn't use it often (loved my grandma, but cooking was not her forte).  But when she needed to separate an egg, that was the only way it was going to happen.  And I remember seeing her use it as far back as my earliest holiday kitchen memories.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #147 on: March 07, 2012, 09:41:23 AM »
Totally with you on the 5-bladed razors, how does that help? Surely any more than 3 isn't adding any benefit.

We have a product here in Australia that was launched with a big ad campaign last year. Its a fancy automatic dispenser for antibacterial soap that has one of those sensors so you don't have to touch a pump, just put your hand under the spout. It was adverstised as being great for families etc and preventing the spread of bacteria as you won't be picking up bugs left on the soap dispenser by other people.

They seem to be completely ignoring the fact that the very first thing you do after dispensing the soap is use it to wash your hands, thereby removing said bacteria.  They managed to convince a lot of people to buy it, but at $20 each, what a rip off!

They brought this out in Canada too. I think it's just preying on people's fear of germs so they'll buy a new product.

I got this for the kitchen because when my DH actually cooks he will get his hands all messy and is "not be able to" put soap on his hands by himself.

MacadamiaNut

« Reply #148 on: March 07, 2012, 09:53:31 AM »
Totally with you on the 5-bladed razors, how does that help? Surely any more than 3 isn't adding any benefit.

We have a product here in Australia that was launched with a big ad campaign last year. Its a fancy automatic dispenser for antibacterial soap that has one of those sensors so you don't have to touch a pump, just put your hand under the spout. It was adverstised as being great for families etc and preventing the spread of bacteria as you won't be picking up bugs left on the soap dispenser by other people.

They seem to be completely ignoring the fact that the very first thing you do after dispensing the soap is use it to wash your hands, thereby removing said bacteria.  They managed to convince a lot of people to buy it, but at $20 each, what a rip off!

They brought this out in Canada too. I think it's just preying on people's fear of germs so they'll buy a new product.

I got this for the kitchen because when my DH actually cooks he will get his hands all messy and is "not be able to" put soap on his hands by himself.

When my hands are dirty I just use my wrist to pump the soap and turn on the water faucet.  I guess that wouldn't work for the twist faucets.  I think the other thing this product ignores is that while the person may not put their dirty hands on the soap dispenser anymore, they are still putting them on the faucet!

Melle

« Reply #149 on: March 07, 2012, 10:49:56 AM »

YES! This, exactly this, thank you! We got the same ad campaign in Germany and I used to think I was the only one this product drove completely crazy :)