Author Topic: Who came up with this useless product?  (Read 71393 times)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
Re: Who came up with this useless product?
« Reply #165 on: March 07, 2012, 02:02:34 PM »
MommyPenguin, do you have frizzy curly hair? Have you tried not brushing it and playing up the curls? Usually with frizzy hair the more you brush the worse it gets.  Just a though.

I have curly hair but if I brushed it I would definitely have frizzy hair.

Agreed.  My hair looks substantially more awesome when I avoid brushing/combing it (even with my fingers) like the plague.  Even if your hair is wavy, it might look better if you experiment with ways of styling it that don't involve brushing or combing.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #166 on: March 07, 2012, 09:56:15 PM »
I have to admit, I kind of love all the weird gadgets, because I figure there's *somebody* who could really use that (like the grandmother with arthritis and the egg separator), and it's neat that such things are available.  My personal favorite is the little collander-sort-of-thing for tunafish cans, so that you can squeeze out all the liquid before scooping the tuna into a bowl.  :)

Butbutbut . . . that's why they come in cans, right?  You run the can opener all around the lid, then you smash the lid down into the tuna to drain the juice!  (Or to drink it, if you're my brother . . .)

But you can never get the juice drained really well that way, and little bits of tuna like to squirt out the side.  I just find the little collander things so much easier.

As for my hair, it's frizzy... malleable hair?  It basically holds whatever position it dries in.  So if I let it dry down, it's curly/frizzy.  If it dries in a bun, it's perfectly straight hair.  If it dries in a ponytail, it's mostly straight, some frizzing/curling past the ponytail holder.  I usually pull it back with barrettes and let it dry down, and then it's straight to the barrettes, and curly the rest of the way down.  But regardless, it's always frizzy.  The curls just help to hide the look of the frizz.

So I should just wash it and then maybe put the barrettes in, but let it dry without brushing it at all?  That sounds... scary.  Won't it be a tangled mess?  When I was about 9, I was struggling to brush my hair well, it just took so long and pulled so much.  My mom took me to the RenFest, and they had one of those booths where they'll french-braid your hair.  She was going to have mine done, and took my ponytail out and ran her fingers through it... and I not only didn't get a french-braid, but I got chewed out for my "rat's nest" hair and how I could have things growing in it for all she could tell, it was so tangled and frizzy, and I had to have my hair-brushing supervised for some time afterwards.  <sigh>

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #167 on: March 07, 2012, 11:15:10 PM »
MommyPenguin, your hair actually sounds kind of like mine.  My hair more or less stays however it was when it dried, but is always frizzy.  Left alone, it's very wavy and tangles easily.  With my new hair care regimen, I've got a head full of nicely-behaved curls and so little frizz it's almost not worth mentioning.  Since I don't want to derail this thread any further, here's a link to the thread I started to discuss methods of alternative hair care:

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=114211.0

But for all that my hair looks a million times better, I wouldn't be able to brush or comb it easily if it were any longer than chin length. :)

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #168 on: March 09, 2012, 12:07:45 AM »
I agree egg separators are frivolous... unless you have one that looks like a nose:
http://www.foundshit.com/egg-separator-nose/

Then it just becomes awesome!

I told mum about this.  I told my sister about this.  It devolved into Beam Me Up, Snotty jokes.  So much for a mature, adult, sense of humor...  ;)

I love my Snuggie.  Especially during the winter, where my room is extra cold, and the extra blanket thing that I can cuddle up in helps.  I also love to use it when I'm sick-- I'm just tall enough that it won't reach past my feet when I'm walking.

Mine's one of the Peace and Love ones, by the way. :P

Also, Alton Brown advocates the egg slicer for a strawberry slicer, and mum has taught me to use it for a mushroom slicer.  Not so useless to me, since I love a lot of creamed eggs and gravy. :D

As for useless gadgets?  LEDs you can get for your computer case.  Unless you're a geek, then its just shiny. :P

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #169 on: March 09, 2012, 12:23:42 PM »
I agree egg separators are frivolous... unless you have one that looks like a nose:
http://www.foundshit.com/egg-separator-nose/

Then it just becomes awesome!

I told mum about this.  I told my sister about this.  It devolved into Beam Me Up, Snotty jokes.  So much for a mature, adult, sense of humor...  ;)

{snip}

I think I love you and your sister and your mum.  Can I come over and play?

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #170 on: March 09, 2012, 02:38:34 PM »
I have to admit, I kind of love all the weird gadgets, because I figure there's *somebody* who could really use that (like the grandmother with arthritis and the egg separator), and it's neat that such things are available.  My personal favorite is the little collander-sort-of-thing for tunafish cans, so that you can squeeze out all the liquid before scooping the tuna into a bowl.  :)

Butbutbut . . . that's why they come in cans, right?  You run the can opener all around the lid, then you smash the lid down into the tuna to drain the juice!  (Or to drink it, if you're my brother . . .)

That's what I used to do (smash the lid down, not drink the juice).  But lately I've noticed that my tuna cans' lids were thinner than they used to be, so they were no longer firm enough to smush the tuna (I'd just get a dent in the center and the sides of the can were still liquidy).  I had to give in and buy the little colander.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #171 on: March 09, 2012, 02:43:23 PM »

In my house tuna juice is a kitty cat treat.  I squish the liquid onto a small saucer and place it on the floor for about a half second before I have a saucer to go into the dishwasher.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #172 on: March 09, 2012, 02:46:52 PM »

That's what I used to do (smash the lid down, not drink the juice).  But lately I've noticed that my tuna cans' lids were thinner than they used to be, so they were no longer firm enough to smush the tuna (I'd just get a dent in the center and the sides of the can were still liquidy).  I had to give in and buy the little colander.

I noticed this on a certain brand of tuna.  I stopped buying that brand.  Others, like Bumblebee, still use good tin.  Chicken of the Sea is the one I won't buy anymore.  Poor quality tin, and more water than tuna in the cans.

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #173 on: March 09, 2012, 02:51:50 PM »

I noticed this on a certain brand of tuna.  I stopped buying that brand.  Others, like Bumblebee, still use good tin.  Chicken of the Sea is the one I won't buy anymore.  Poor quality tin, and more water than tuna in the cans.

That's the one!  I just assumed that other companies were doing the same, so I never thought to try a different brand.  Maybe it's time.

Clair Seulement

« Reply #174 on: March 09, 2012, 02:57:42 PM »
Fancy-schmancy can openers ( the old cheapie that I have had for years still works best)

I'm so with you! I've been refusing to use those since my mom got her first in a series of frequently malfunctioning models in the early 1980s. I don't think she ever opened a can on the first try using the electric kind. Also, have you ever had the owner of such a gadget act *shocked* that you have opted to use an old one instead? Both my father and his best friend, at whose house we often cook group meals, can't understand it when I just grab the trusty crank model out of the utensil drawer. Same thing with those five-pound corkscrews that need to be housed in a special case...

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #175 on: March 09, 2012, 03:08:38 PM »
Fancy-schmancy can openers ( the old cheapie that I have had for years still works best)

I'm so with you! I've been refusing to use those since my mom got her first in a series of frequently malfunctioning models in the early 1980s. I don't think she ever opened a can on the first try using the electric kind. Also, have you ever had the owner of such a gadget act *shocked* that you have opted to use an old one instead? Both my father and his best friend, at whose house we often cook group meals, can't understand it when I just grab the trusty crank model out of the utensil drawer. Same thing with those five-pound corkscrews that need to be housed in a special case...

The one thing I will say about fancy can openers (or corkscrews) is that they can often be easier for people who have arthritis or other hand issues to use.  The manual ones require some fine motor control, and a pretty high amount of muscle strength in the fingers/hands to operate.  Electric can openers or fancy corkscrews generally do not require either of those things.

So while I'm sure they're much more prone to malfunctioning, I do think they probably have some benefits for people.  I won't personally use anything like that unless I find myself unable to use the simpler version, because I appreciate that my can opener is highly unlikely to break any time soon (and can be replaced for less than $10 if it does).

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #176 on: March 09, 2012, 03:12:26 PM »
I want my parents' can opener.  I don't know exactly how it's different than ours - both are the crank kind - but with theirs you can use it sideways to take off the whole end of the can instead of just inside the edge.  As far as I can tell, this is the only way to get cranberry jelly out of the can in one piece so you can slice it instead of having to use a spoon and get uneven glops on your plate  :P

Nika

« Reply #177 on: March 09, 2012, 03:13:41 PM »
I will confess: I have a fancy electric wine opener. And I love it. I don't have arthritis or anything, so I don't really need it, but I have a history of failing horribly and breaking the cork when I try to open a bottle, so I find it handy.

...Mostly I just like to use it though because I find it really entertaining to use.  :-[
"I am, in fact, a hobbit in all but size."

Clair Seulement

« Reply #178 on: March 09, 2012, 03:17:35 PM »

The one thing I will say about fancy can openers (or corkscrews) is that they can often be easier for people who have arthritis or other hand issues to use.  The manual ones require some fine motor control, and a pretty high amount of muscle strength in the fingers/hands to operate.  Electric can openers or fancy corkscrews generally do not require either of those things.

So while I'm sure they're much more prone to malfunctioning, I do think they probably have some benefits for people.  I won't personally use anything like that unless I find myself unable to use the simpler version, because I appreciate that my can opener is highly unlikely to break any time soon (and can be replaced for less than $10 if it does).

Yes! That is true, and now I feel so bad insinuating they are useless. I still wonder why my mom preferred them in her arthritis-free 20s, and why my non-use of them surprises my dad, but you have reminded me to be more appreciative!

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #179 on: March 09, 2012, 03:22:12 PM »
I will confess: I have a fancy electric wine opener. And I love it. I don't have arthritis or anything, so I don't really need it, but I have a history of failing horribly and breaking the cork when I try to open a bottle, so I find it handy.

...Mostly I just like to use it though because I find it really entertaining to use.  :-[

I have one because...  I'm pathetically unable to use any other type of corkscrew.  I swear, I'm corkscrew defective.  No arthritis.  Just...defective me.   :-[