Author Topic: Who came up with this useless product?  (Read 71164 times)

Virg

• Super Hero!
Re: Who came up with this useless product?
« Reply #180 on: March 09, 2012, 03:23:54 PM »
Kaora wrote:

"As for useless gadgets?  LEDs you can get for your computer case.  Unless you're a geek, then its just shiny."

There's one notable exception to this.  LED-lit fans are the best.  If the fan stops, the lights go out, so you don't lose a lot of valuable equipment to heat damage because you didn't notice that it failed.  Also, you can color-code rack units to make them easier to tell which machine is which from both sides.

Clair Seulement wrote:

"Yes! That is true, and now I feel so bad insinuating they are useless. I still wonder why my mom preferred them in her arthritis-free 20s, and why my non-use of them surprises my dad, but you have reminded me to be more appreciative!"

One more thing to consider is that you can use most electric can openers one-handed (these days; I agree with the trouble they caused more than a decade ago).

Virg

Clair Seulement

« Reply #181 on: March 09, 2012, 03:25:17 PM »
I will confess: I have a fancy electric wine opener. And I love it. I don't have arthritis or anything, so I don't really need it, but I have a history of failing horribly and breaking the cork when I try to open a bottle, so I find it handy.

...Mostly I just like to use it though because I find it really entertaining to use.  :-[

I have one because...  I'm pathetically unable to use any other type of corkscrew.  I swear, I'm corkscrew defective.  No arthritis.  Just...defective me.   :-[

Trust me I'm not good at 'em myself. Thing is, I'm not good at the fancy one either! Also I just always found it funny, as in sight-gag funny, that those things were so big when most advances bring us smaller gadgets...

Redwing

« Reply #182 on: March 09, 2012, 03:26:18 PM »
I want my parents' can opener.  I don't know exactly how it's different than ours - both are the crank kind - but with theirs you can use it sideways to take off the whole end of the can instead of just inside the edge.  As far as I can tell, this is the only way to get cranberry jelly out of the can in one piece so you can slice it instead of having to use a spoon and get uneven glops on your plate  :P

Have you tried running the electric opener on the other end of the can for a second?  Just long enough to break the vacuum?  I used to do that when I fed the dogs canned dog food when I was young.  It would just slide out of the can after that.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #183 on: March 09, 2012, 03:26:58 PM »
I want my parents' can opener.  I don't know exactly how it's different than ours - both are the crank kind - but with theirs you can use it sideways to take off the whole end of the can instead of just inside the edge.  As far as I can tell, this is the only way to get cranberry jelly out of the can in one piece so you can slice it instead of having to use a spoon and get uneven glops on your plate  :P

I have one like that.  It is made by Starfrit.  Love it.  I don't have the problem of it not properly opening the can.  The only drawback is that the top of the can can be very sharp.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #184 on: March 09, 2012, 03:30:39 PM »

Have you tried running the electric opener on the other end of the can for a second?  Just long enough to break the vacuum?  I used to do that when I fed the dogs canned dog food when I was young.  It would just slide out of the can after that.

Some cans are different on the "bottom" end (more rounded) and you can't get any kind of opener to work.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #185 on: March 09, 2012, 04:05:55 PM »
Lady Redundant Woman wrote:

"Some cans are different on the "bottom" end (more rounded) and you can't get any kind of opener to work."

You can use a church key on the bottom to punch it or even an ice pick.  You only need the smallest hole to break the vacuum lock.  For safety with the latter option, put the ice pick on the inverted can and then strike it with your other hand, rather than trying to stab the can like Norman Bates.

Virg

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #186 on: March 09, 2012, 04:15:46 PM »

Some cans are different on the "bottom" end (more rounded) and you can't get any kind of opener to work.

There's a special opener that works on the bottom end!  My mom got it and uses it for the ones with the pop tops.  Empties it out, fills it with stuff, glues the bottom back on, gives it as a gift, and enjoys the looks of bafflement when people open the pop top on mandarin oranges to find confetti and Hershey kisses.  :)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #187 on: March 09, 2012, 04:27:54 PM »
Lady Redundant Woman wrote:

"Some cans are different on the "bottom" end (more rounded) and you can't get any kind of opener to work."

You can use a church key on the bottom to punch it or even an ice pick.  You only need the smallest hole to break the vacuum lock.  For safety with the latter option, put the ice pick on the inverted can and then strike it with your other hand, rather than trying to stab the can like Norman Bates.

Virg

I use the tip of the corkscrew for that. 
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

rachellenore

« Reply #188 on: March 09, 2012, 04:28:26 PM »
My fiance and I are renting-to-own a four color TV. Since they're new, the rental place only had one type in stock. The interface of this thing is terrible. It's a completely flat/level touchscreen with a menu that lights up once engaged. The dingdangity thing can't be turned on in the dark since the menu only lights up after it's been touched.

I'm hoping we can trade it for a different model before we finally pay it off.

magicdomino

« Reply #189 on: March 09, 2012, 04:31:10 PM »
I will confess: I have a fancy electric wine opener. And I love it. I don't have arthritis or anything, so I don't really need it, but I have a history of failing horribly and breaking the cork when I try to open a bottle, so I find it handy.

...Mostly I just like to use it though because I find it really entertaining to use.  :-[

Nothing wrong with this.  Entertainment is good (see runny-nose egg separator).   :)

Iris

« Reply #190 on: March 09, 2012, 04:39:06 PM »

Nothing wrong with this.  Entertainment is good (see runny-nose egg separator).   :)

Hey, I didn't even know you could GET and electric bottle opener until I read your post. Now I'm considering getting one AND starting to drink wine with corks again just so I can have a go...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

EnoughAlready22

« Reply #191 on: March 09, 2012, 04:45:14 PM »

Hey, I didn't even know you could GET and electric bottle opener until I read your post. Now I'm considering getting one AND starting to drink wine with corks again just so I can have a go...

I bought my mom one for mother's day one year.  We fight over who gets to use it. :)  We call it our power tool.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #192 on: March 09, 2012, 04:57:20 PM »

This wall-mounted one is the best can opener. I still use the one I bought in 1974. Your hands would have to be practically unusable before arthritis would keep you from opening cans. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
« Reply #193 on: March 09, 2012, 04:58:30 PM »
In my house tuna juice is a kitty cat treat.  I squish the liquid onto a small saucer and place it on the floor for about a half second before I have a saucer to go into the dishwasher.

Same here.  Also, back when I had an electric can opener it's actual best use was as a feline-summoning device.  It didn't actually open cans well at all.  But if you wanted the cats to show up quickly you could just press the lever down momentarily and they'd come a-runnin' from the far reaches of the house.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #194 on: March 09, 2012, 05:26:56 PM »
In my house tuna juice is a kitty cat treat.  I squish the liquid onto a small saucer and place it on the floor for about a half second before I have a saucer to go into the dishwasher.

Same here.  Also, back when I had an electric can opener it's actual best use was as a feline-summoning device.  It didn't actually open cans well at all.  But if you wanted the cats to show up quickly you could just press the lever down momentarily and they'd come a-runnin' from the far reaches of the house.
I believe that the sound of a can opener is hard-wired into the feline brain.  ANY can opener.  I have had litters of kittens who have NEVER been fed canned food all come running at the sound of a can opener.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.