Author Topic: Who came up with this useless product?  (Read 69424 times)

2littlemonkeys

Re: Who came up with this useless product?
« Reply #195 on: March 09, 2012, 05:41:05 PM »
In my house tuna juice is a kitty cat treat.  I squish the liquid onto a small saucer and place it on the floor for about a half second before I have a saucer to go into the dishwasher.

Same here.  Also, back when I had an electric can opener it's actual best use was as a feline-summoning device.  It didn't actually open cans well at all.  But if you wanted the cats to show up quickly you could just press the lever down momentarily and they'd come a-runnin' from the far reaches of the house.
I believe that the sound of a can opener is hard-wired into the feline brain.  ANY can opener.  I have had litters of kittens who have NEVER been fed canned food all come running at the sound of a can opener.

no joke!  I was once pet sitting and on the last day, I couldn't find one of the cats.  I didn't remember leaving any doors open but he would not come when I called and I was terrified he'd gotten out somehow.  I was supposed to meet up with a friend to go shopping and when I called her to tell her I was going to be late, she suggested running the can opener.  I did and that little [redacted] crawled out from under the sofa. 

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #196 on: March 09, 2012, 11:02:20 PM »
I want my parents' can opener.  I don't know exactly how it's different than ours - both are the crank kind - but with theirs you can use it sideways to take off the whole end of the can instead of just inside the edge.  As far as I can tell, this is the only way to get cranberry jelly out of the can in one piece so you can slice it instead of having to use a spoon and get uneven glops on your plate  :P

Is it something like this?
http://snipurl.com/22k0y5o
I have one like that and it's great! The edges are not sharp, and thus are safe to touch. On the other hand, since it cuts on the side and not inside the lid, it means I can't use the lid to drain tuna. I just press the tuna with my fingers (and yes, here too, the cat gets the "juice".)

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #197 on: March 11, 2012, 05:10:51 PM »
I agree egg separators are frivolous... unless you have one that looks like a nose:
http://www.foundshit.com/egg-separator-nose/

Then it just becomes awesome!

I told mum about this.  I told my sister about this.  It devolved into Beam Me Up, Snotty jokes.  So much for a mature, adult, sense of humor...  ;)

{snip}

I think I love you and your sister and your mum.  Can I come over and play?

Sure thing.  Just hope one doesn't mind demented jokes and music.  Plenty around here. :P

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #198 on: March 11, 2012, 08:05:44 PM »
I now have a microwave, have an icemaker in my fridge,  use bottled water (when we travel), and have a smart phone -- all of which I laughed about.

I'm afraid to make anymore early condemnations because I never know what thing I'll end up with that I thought was useless. (In my defense, I never laughed at computers or my iPad = tablets.)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #199 on: March 11, 2012, 08:38:31 PM »
Even if you have a good electric can opener, it's always a good idea to have at least one manual can opener just in case the power goes out.

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
« Reply #200 on: March 11, 2012, 08:42:04 PM »
Even if you have a good electric can opener, it's always a good idea to have at least one manual can opener just in case the power goes out.

This is also the reason I keep a good old corded phone because some (most?) cordless home phones don't work when the power is out.  I don't trust my cell phone to always be fully charged.  :)
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

Carotte

« Reply #201 on: March 11, 2012, 09:00:39 PM »
I now have a microwave, have an icemaker in my fridge,  use bottled water (when we travel), and have a smart phone -- all of which I laughed about.

I'm afraid to make anymore early condemnations because I never know what thing I'll end up with that I thought was useless. (In my defense, I never laughed at computers or my iPad = tablets.)

I used to (9 years ago)  say that if I was ever caught wearing a pair of black skinny jean that there was some kind of problem with me... that's exactly what I'm wearing right now ><, and I like them :)
Now I do the same as you, I try not to make that kind of statement

EngineerChick

« Reply #202 on: March 11, 2012, 09:16:42 PM »
As for my hair, it's frizzy... malleable hair?  It basically holds whatever position it dries in.  So if I let it dry down, it's curly/frizzy.  If it dries in a bun, it's perfectly straight hair.  If it dries in a ponytail, it's mostly straight, some frizzing/curling past the ponytail holder.  I usually pull it back with barrettes and let it dry down, and then it's straight to the barrettes, and curly the rest of the way down.  But regardless, it's always frizzy.  The curls just help to hide the look of the frizz.

So I should just wash it and then maybe put the barrettes in, but let it dry without brushing it at all?  That sounds... scary.  Won't it be a tangled mess?  When I was about 9, I was struggling to brush my hair well, it just took so long and pulled so much.  My mom took me to the RenFest, and they had one of those booths where they'll french-braid your hair.  She was going to have mine done, and took my ponytail out and ran her fingers through it... and I not only didn't get a french-braid, but I got chewed out for my "rat's nest" hair and how I could have things growing in it for all she could tell, it was so tangled and frizzy, and I had to have my hair-brushing supervised for some time afterwards.  <sigh>

I have hair that is a lot like this.  When it is still wet after washing it, I use a wide-toothed comb to get out all of the tangles.  If it gets tangled again, I use the wide-toothed comb (and wet it if necessary) to get the tangles out.

I haven't used a brush since I was ~12, when my hairdresser told me to do this instead, and it worked great for both me and my sister.
Talk nerdy to me.

EngineerChick

« Reply #203 on: March 11, 2012, 09:19:31 PM »
I want my parents' can opener.  I don't know exactly how it's different than ours - both are the crank kind - but with theirs you can use it sideways to take off the whole end of the can instead of just inside the edge.  As far as I can tell, this is the only way to get cranberry jelly out of the can in one piece so you can slice it instead of having to use a spoon and get uneven glops on your plate  :P

Have you tried running the electric opener on the other end of the can for a second?  Just long enough to break the vacuum?  I used to do that when I fed the dogs canned dog food when I was young.  It would just slide out of the can after that.

And if it is something like refried beans, and breaking the vaccuum seal isn't enough to make it come out, blow through the hole.  Works great, but not advised outside of yourself and close family.
Talk nerdy to me.

Mikayla

« Reply #204 on: March 11, 2012, 09:28:03 PM »
This is funny stuff !  My vote is childproof or spillproof tops for medicine and, yes, Cascade.  Cascade?  About 20 minutes ago I went to do a load in the dishwasher and I could not get that top thing off to save my life!  Finally I saw this tiny print to squeeze it, but by that point my hands were too numb to function. 

The other problem I had was with Target brand pepto-bismol.  I bought some about a year ago and never got the top off.  I took a butcher knife to it, sawed it in half and poured it in a bowl :)

I can understand why it's convenient for parents worried about kiddos, but why not have an option for those of us who don't have that worry? 

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #205 on: March 11, 2012, 09:52:28 PM »

And if it is something like refried beans, and breaking the vaccuum seal isn't enough to make it come out, blow through the hole.  Works great, but not advised outside of yourself and close family.

I run a long straight knife between the product and the can. I don't know good it is for the knife, though.

faithlessone

« Reply #206 on: March 12, 2012, 11:34:29 AM »
My vote is childproof or spillproof tops for medicine and, yes, Cascade.  Cascade?  About 20 minutes ago I went to do a load in the dishwasher and I could not get that top thing off to save my life!  Finally I saw this tiny print to squeeze it, but by that point my hands were too numb to function. 

The other problem I had was with Target brand pepto-bismol.  I bought some about a year ago and never got the top off.  I took a butcher knife to it, sawed it in half and poured it in a bowl :)

I can understand why it's convenient for parents worried about kiddos, but why not have an option for those of us who don't have that worry? 

I'm the same! I don't seem to have the knack of pushing and twisting them at the same time.

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
    • Cards and Crafts by Carol
« Reply #207 on: March 12, 2012, 12:33:59 PM »
My vote is childproof or spillproof tops for medicine and, yes, Cascade.  Cascade?  About 20 minutes ago I went to do a load in the dishwasher and I could not get that top thing off to save my life!  Finally I saw this tiny print to squeeze it, but by that point my hands were too numb to function. 

I'm the same! I don't seem to have the knack of pushing and twisting them at the same time.

I was babysitting one time and the child wasn't feeling well. Went to give her some Calpol (kids medicine) and I couldn't open it. Her Brother (age 7) opened it for me  ::)
Ireland
Check out my handmade cards -
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsnCraftsbyCarol

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #208 on: March 12, 2012, 12:38:11 PM »

I don't mind the "press and twist" ones, and I have no trouble with the "line up the arrows" ones, but I can definitely do without the ones where you have to squeeze the sides and twist.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #209 on: March 12, 2012, 01:37:07 PM »
Zip Lock- type packages without the sliders. I haven't been able to do them consistently ever and never bought the bags. (I did have some luck with the double track ones, but still hated them.) It takes much longer to try to line the darn things up to seal, then when they get cold or bent, they fall apart. Now lots of food comes with them built in, and they are even weaker than the Zip Lock bags.

Now our bread (Arnold's Rounds) comes with it built in and gave them a chance. Now, I do the same thing with them that I do with all the others. I cut off the annoying zip lock and put the food into a bag with a twist top so I can count on it. I can only use the bags for a couple of purchases, so it really is a huge annoyance and waste. If it's hot dogs or something else messy, they only last for one use.

I must be the only one, though, because they are used on so very many products now. I wonder if Schwan's and Oscar Mayer are reading this.

Oddly, I have not trouble with the squeeze to open lids (Cascade, mouthwash, toilet cleaner), but it may get pretty hard when my arthritis gets worse, so I'm beginning to dread them, too.