Author Topic: Who came up with this useless product?  (Read 73319 times)

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
Re: Who came up with this useless product?
« Reply #210 on: March 12, 2012, 01:49:22 PM »
Zip Lock- type packages without the sliders. I haven't been able to do them consistently ever and never bought the bags. (I did have some luck with the double track ones, but still hated them.) It takes much longer to try to line the darn things up to seal, then when they get cold or bent, they fall apart. Now lots of food comes with them built in, and they are even weaker than the Zip Lock bags.

I must be the only one, though, because they are used on so very many products now. I wonder if Schwan's and Oscar Mayer are reading this.

No, you're not the only one.  The number of products with zip seals that fail (including the zip mechanism peeling away from the other plastic) is legion.  I just plan to have to re-package into my own storage bags (which, fortunately, do seal for me).
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #211 on: March 12, 2012, 02:13:06 PM »
Mikayla wrote:

"My vote is childproof or spillproof tops for medicine and, yes, Cascade.  Cascade?  About 20 minutes ago I went to do a load in the dishwasher and I could not get that top thing off to save my life!  Finally I saw this tiny print to squeeze it, but by that point my hands were too numb to function."

The squeeze-and-twist tops can be disabled with a pair of pliers very easily.  Take the cap off, find the little plastic tongues on the inside rim of the lid, and use the pliers to bend them out or snap off the part of the lid that has them attached.  Once you do that it's just a normal screw top.

Also, a pair of long jaw channel lock pliers will take them off easily for that first time.

Virg

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
« Reply #212 on: March 12, 2012, 02:14:17 PM »
Zip Lock- type packages without the sliders. I haven't been able to do them consistently ever and never bought the bags. (I did have some luck with the double track ones, but still hated them.) It takes much longer to try to line the darn things up to seal, then when they get cold or bent, they fall apart. Now lots of food comes with them built in, and they are even weaker than the Zip Lock bags.

I must be the only one, though, because they are used on so very many products now. I wonder if Schwan's and Oscar Mayer are reading this.

No, you're not the only one.  The number of products with zip seals that fail (including the zip mechanism peeling away from the other plastic) is legion.  I just plan to have to re-package into my own storage bags (which, fortunately, do seal for me).

I also hate them.  I will only buy slidelock zipper bags.  On products, I just ignore the zip thing and seal the bag just as I would any other bag had I cut it open with scissors.  If it's chips, chip clip.  Bread, twist tie or clip.  Hot dogs, cling wrap, then into a slidelock bag.  I have these wonderful clippy things from Ikea that work to seal any bag.  These things are my best friend, on the counter, in the fridge, in the freezer, anywhere!

http://chickinthekitchen.com/2008/04/22/food-sealing-clips-from-ikea/
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #213 on: March 12, 2012, 02:16:50 PM »
MacadamiaNut - I've bought those at Pampered Chef parties - they are great.

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
« Reply #214 on: March 12, 2012, 02:22:37 PM »
MacadamiaNut - I've bought those at Pampered Chef parties - they are great.

Yep!  I hope you didn't pay too much for them, b/c at Ikea you get a bag of like a million of them for about $5, I think.
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #215 on: March 12, 2012, 07:03:07 PM »

I also hate them.  I will only buy slidelock zipper bags.  On products, I just ignore the zip thing and seal the bag just as I would any other bag had I cut it open with scissors.  If it's chips, chip clip.  Bread, twist tie or clip.  Hot dogs, cling wrap, then into a slidelock bag.  I have these wonderful clippy things from Ikea that work to seal any bag.  These things are my best friend, on the counter, in the fridge, in the freezer, anywhere!

I've never had a ziplock packaged product with enough spare plastic at the top to twist and clip.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #216 on: March 12, 2012, 11:26:34 PM »

I've never had a ziplock packaged product with enough spare plastic at the top to twist and clip.

I fold the top corners of the bag down so it looks like this: /\

Then I fold the top of the triangle down and clip that. It seals it nicely, unless you need it to be totally airtight for a liquid.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

JolieFille

• I'm a Pixie! With Fangs! =P
« Reply #217 on: March 13, 2012, 12:32:01 AM »
Mikayla wrote:

"My vote is childproof or spillproof tops for medicine and, yes, Cascade.  Cascade?  About 20 minutes ago I went to do a load in the dishwasher and I could not get that top thing off to save my life!  Finally I saw this tiny print to squeeze it, but by that point my hands were too numb to function."

The squeeze-and-twist tops can be disabled with a pair of pliers very easily.  Take the cap off, find the little plastic tongues on the inside rim of the lid, and use the pliers to bend them out or snap off the part of the lid that has them attached.  Once you do that it's just a normal screw top.

Also, a pair of long jaw channel lock pliers will take them off easily for that first time.

Virg

Blister seals. The kind that mucinex come in are particularly evil. You have to peel that paper and then punch out the foil backing. And you can't use scissors that well because it's so close to the pill and then your trying to pry apart the plastic and foil. . . can you tell I don't like blister seals? And the funny thing is, it's ridiculously easy to get into say the blister pack my BC pills come in, and they actually have a slightly sweet flavor (to me) yet mucinex are so blasted hard and then they taste worse then anything.

The vacuum sealed plastic they wrap around some electronics. That hard plastic that you go nuts trying to get apart but just can't seem to and the scissors don't make a dent in it. And then your dad gets the bright idea to use his extremely sharp knife on it, and let me tell you that one didn't turn out well. Or maybe my family is just defective at opening packages.

Iris

« Reply #218 on: March 13, 2012, 02:44:09 AM »
*snip*

The vacuum sealed plastic they wrap around some electronics. That hard plastic that you go nuts trying to get apart but just can't seem to and the scissors don't make a dent in it. And then your dad gets the bright idea to use his extremely sharp knife on it, and let me tell you that one didn't turn out well. Or maybe my family is just defective at opening packages.

I once bought a pair of scissors that were totally vacuum sealed into a packet that required...a pair of scissors to open it.

One of the stupidest things that I personally have ever witnessed.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #219 on: March 13, 2012, 07:43:28 AM »
*snip*

I once bought a pair of scissors that were totally vacuum sealed into a packet that required...a pair of scissors to open it.

I had that same problem, but with a ridiculously sharp kitchen knife. Who in the world packages a sharp knife in hard plastic that is nearly impossible to open?

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #220 on: March 13, 2012, 10:28:33 AM »
I agree egg separators are frivolous... unless you have one that looks like a nose:
http://www.foundshit.com/egg-separator-nose/

Then it just becomes awesome!

I've GOT one of those!!  My brother gave it to me for Christmas one year.  Yes, it supposed to be gross, but that's what makes it fun!
No, I haven't tried it.  Not sure if I could eat anything that came out of a nose, even a ceramic one.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #221 on: March 13, 2012, 10:36:07 AM »
I want my parents' can opener.  I don't know exactly how it's different than ours - both are the crank kind - but with theirs you can use it sideways to take off the whole end of the can instead of just inside the edge.  As far as I can tell, this is the only way to get cranberry jelly out of the can in one piece so you can slice it instead of having to use a spoon and get uneven glops on your plate  :P

I have one like that.  It is made by Starfrit.  Love it.  I don't have the problem of it not properly opening the can.  The only drawback is that the top of the can can be very sharp.

I have a Gizmo.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-GC200-Gizmo-Opener/dp/B00005MF94/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331649244&sr=8-2

My dad got me one for Christmas one year and I loved it so much that after I wore it out, I bought another one.  It opens 99% of the cans I have, and with my nearly-constant problems with tendonitis in one arm or another, it's a Godsend. 

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #222 on: March 13, 2012, 10:38:48 AM »
I now have a microwave, have an icemaker in my fridge,  use bottled water (when we travel), and have a smart phone -- all of which I laughed about.

I'm afraid to make anymore early condemnations because I never know what thing I'll end up with that I thought was useless. (In my defense, I never laughed at computers or my iPad = tablets.)

I used to (9 years ago)  say that if I was ever caught wearing a pair of black skinny jean that there was some kind of problem with me... that's exactly what I'm wearing right now ><, and I like them :)
Now I do the same as you, I try not to make that kind of statement

I once swore up and down that I would NEVER get a pair of glasses with little lenses (how do you SEE?), and wire frames.  Guess what I'm wearing right now.   Right.
Never swear.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #223 on: March 13, 2012, 10:43:40 AM »
*snip*

Oh, I've got one!  I once bought a package of Pepto Bismol that was in pill form, meant to be carried in your purse.  However, it was blister-sealed, with a little drawing of a pair of scissors to open them!  Now, how many of you carry scissors in your purse!  That was the stupidist thing I'd EVER seen!  Imagine having a gastro emergency that only Pepto can solve, but you can't get the blasted package open!!
ARGH!!

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #224 on: March 13, 2012, 11:15:07 AM »
*snip*

I had that same problem, but with a ridiculously sharp kitchen knife. Who in the world packages a sharp knife in hard plastic that is nearly impossible to open?

Oooh, yes.  One of my favorite ironies is the day DH came home with one of those special cutter things that are specifically designed to open packaging--and it was very well-sealed in its own packaging.

So I suppose the product itself isn't useless, it's just inaccessible!  ;D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.