Author Topic: Who came up with this useless product?  (Read 65172 times)

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
Re: Who came up with this useless product?
« Reply #225 on: March 13, 2012, 11:20:56 AM »
Plastic barrettes that a) cannot be slid next to the scalp to get a tight grip on fine hair; b) do not secure fine hair; and c) have the world's tightest clasp security, so I can barely get them open.  *sigh* I hate buying barrettes, etc., because I cannot test them, and they so often do not work. 
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #226 on: March 13, 2012, 11:40:55 AM »
*snip*

The vacuum sealed plastic they wrap around some electronics. That hard plastic that you go nuts trying to get apart but just can't seem to and the scissors don't make a dent in it. And then your dad gets the bright idea to use his extremely sharp knife on it, and let me tell you that one didn't turn out well. Or maybe my family is just defective at opening packages.

I once bought a pair of scissors that were totally vacuum sealed into a packet that required...a pair of scissors to open it.

One of the stupidest things that I personally have ever witnessed.

Oh, I've got one!  I once bought a package of Pepto Bismol that was in pill form, meant to be carried in your purse.  However, it was blister-sealed, with a little drawing of a pair of scissors to open them!  Now, how many of you carry scissors in your purse!  That was the stupidist thing I'd EVER seen!  Imagine having a gastro emergency that only Pepto can solve, but you can't get the blasted package open!!
ARGH!!
Or even worse, the blister-pack on the Imitrex.  (prescription med to abort migraines.)  If you can't see for the pain, you'd better hope that someone is with you to get the thing cut out.  I'm seriously considering cutting ALL of them out when I'm not having an attack, and putting them in an ordinary pill bottle.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #227 on: March 13, 2012, 11:43:48 AM »
*snip*

The vacuum sealed plastic they wrap around some electronics. That hard plastic that you go nuts trying to get apart but just can't seem to and the scissors don't make a dent in it. And then your dad gets the bright idea to use his extremely sharp knife on it, and let me tell you that one didn't turn out well. Or maybe my family is just defective at opening packages.

I once bought a pair of scissors that were totally vacuum sealed into a packet that required...a pair of scissors to open it.

Oh, I've got one!  I once bought a package of Pepto Bismol that was in pill form, meant to be carried in your purse.  However, it was blister-sealed, with a little drawing of a pair of scissors to open them!  Now, how many of you carry scissors in your purse!  That was the stupidist thing I'd EVER seen!  Imagine having a gastro emergency that only Pepto can solve, but you can't get the blasted package open!!
ARGH!!
Or even worse, the blister-pack on the Imitrex.  (prescription med to abort migraines.)  If you can't see for the pain, you'd better hope that someone is with you to get the thing cut out.  I'm seriously considering cutting ALL of them out when I'm not having an attack, and putting them in an ordinary pill bottle.

I did that for my Imitrex, and some of my allergy medication. If I need it, I need it NOW, not in five minutes, when I've finally located the scissors to open the dang pack.
Utah

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #228 on: March 13, 2012, 11:44:32 AM »
*snip*

ARGH!!

Yup.  My migraine pills are coloured - I take the pink one immediately, followed by a yellow one if the pink didn't do the job.  The blister pack is orange transparent plastic, although they have helpfully written the colours on there.  I still need help working out what to do, as I cannot distinguish the colours or read the tiny print when having a migraine.

saffron

« Reply #229 on: March 13, 2012, 05:32:42 PM »

There's a special opener that works on the bottom end!  My mom got it and uses it for the ones with the pop tops.  Empties it out, fills it with stuff, glues the bottom back on, gives it as a gift, and enjoys the looks of bafflement when people open the pop top on mandarin oranges to find confetti and Hershey kisses.  :)
[/quote]

That is all kinds of awesome!   :D

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #230 on: March 13, 2012, 08:01:44 PM »
*snip*

Larry David did a whole episode on that! :)

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #231 on: March 13, 2012, 08:13:03 PM »
The insane industrial-strength security seals on salad dressing.  Drives me CRAZY.  I wrestled with one for about ten minutes the other night (DANGIT I JUST WANT RASPBERRY VINAIGRETTE!!) then eventually used a knife to puncture the top enough so I could get my finger in and pull the rest off.  It's SALAD DRESSING for heaven's sake, how many security features does it need??
"After all this time?"
"Always."

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #232 on: March 13, 2012, 10:03:47 PM »
The insane industrial-strength security seals on salad dressing.  Drives me CRAZY.  I wrestled with one for about ten minutes the other night (DANGIT I JUST WANT RASPBERRY VINAIGRETTE!!) then eventually used a knife to puncture the top enough so I could get my finger in and pull the rest off.  It's SALAD DRESSING for heaven's sake, how many security features does it need??

Yeah, I would like to inform some of these companies that they don't have to make their bottles impossible to open to protect their customers, they just have to fix it so it's obvious when a package has been tampered with. An easy to remove seal is just as good in that regard.

CuriousParty

« Reply #233 on: March 13, 2012, 10:56:55 PM »
[quote author=JolieFille link=topic=
 vacuum sealed into a packet that required...a pair of scissors to open it.

I had that same problem, but with a ridiculously sharp kitchen knife. Who in the world packages a sharp knife in hard plastic that is nearly impossible to open?

Oooh, yes.  One of my favorite ironies is the day DH came home with one of those special cutter things that are specifically designed to open packaging--and it was very well-sealed in its own packaging.

So I suppose the product itself isn't useless, it's just inaccessible!  ;D

I read somewhere (Real Simple?) that a regular old hand-crank can opener does the job nicely.  I've tried it, and am glad to report that it works quite well!

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #234 on: March 14, 2012, 12:07:20 AM »
I just searched and found that over 6000 people go to the er every year with injuries sustained from opening clamshell and other plastic packaging.

norrina

« Reply #235 on: March 14, 2012, 12:08:32 AM »
That sulphate in shampoo can cause really bad cystic body acne and bad dandruff. Took my Doc and I over a year of eliminations to figure that one out. No more problems since I've switched brands and my back is clearing up wonderfully.

This is an older post, and not really what the thread is about, but I had to comment because I've had an acne problem on my upper back and chest since I was a child (so, over 20 years). I started using the curly girl method (i.e., sulfate-free) about 2-4 weeks ago, and tonight DBF noticed that my acne is nearly entirely gone. I don't remember my skin ever being this clear; it is such an incredible feeling I can't even begin to express my happiness.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #236 on: March 14, 2012, 12:13:17 AM »
I also hate them.  I will only buy slidelock zipper bags.  On products, I just ignore the zip thing and seal the bag just as I would any other bag had I cut it open with scissors.  If it's chips, chip clip.  Bread, twist tie or clip.  Hot dogs, cling wrap, then into a slidelock bag.  I have these wonderful clippy things from Ikea that work to seal any bag.  These things are my best friend, on the counter, in the fridge, in the freezer, anywhere!

http://chickinthekitchen.com/2008/04/22/food-sealing-clips-from-ikea/

I've never had a ziplock packaged product with enough spare plastic at the top to twist and clip.

I fold the top corners of the bag down so it looks like this: /\

Then I fold the top of the triangle down and clip that. It seals it nicely, unless you need it to be totally airtight for a liquid.

Thanks for trying, but that won't work on hot dog packages or Arnold's Rounds. They have to keep their shape.

It might work on frozen biscuits and tater rounds, though.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #237 on: March 14, 2012, 04:48:28 PM »
Luci45 wrote:

"Thanks for trying, but that won't work on hot dog packages or Arnold's Rounds. They have to keep their shape."

Chip Clips work for that sort of thing.  What doesn't show in the ad is that the actual brand name Chip Clip clips have a rubber gasket along the clip edge that makes a good seal for things like hot dog packs.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?sku=13048320

Virg

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #238 on: March 14, 2012, 05:21:03 PM »
*snip*

I had that same problem, but with a ridiculously sharp kitchen knife. Who in the world packages a sharp knife in hard plastic that is nearly impossible to open?

I had that with my K-BAR! I had to use my boot knife to open in... I slipped and stuck myself in the thumb. That was fun to explain.
Note: By stuck, I mean it was literally stuck. It hit at the base of my thumbnail and wouldn't come out. I had to yank on that sucker :P
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

flowersintheattic

« Reply #239 on: March 20, 2012, 10:47:49 PM »
I will confess: I have a fancy electric wine opener. And I love it. I don't have arthritis or anything, so I don't really need it, but I have a history of failing horribly and breaking the cork when I try to open a bottle, so I find it handy.

...Mostly I just like to use it though because I find it really entertaining to use.  :-[

Nothing wrong with this.  Entertainment is good (see runny-nose egg separator).   :)

Hey, I didn't even know you could GET and electric bottle opener until I read your post. Now I'm considering getting one AND starting to drink wine with corks again just so I can have a go...

FH and I had an argument while registering about whether to add an electric wine opener to the list. I eventually prevailed, and it didn't go on. I've never been able to use them as well as I can use my trusty double hinged waiter's corkscrew. I think it's because I learned to open wine bottles while bartending at a restaurant that used the waiter's corkscrews.
...I learned my lesson / And yes, I still remember the last one / But this time will be different / Until I do it again... ~Phish, "Kill Devil Falls"